Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help With Swelling

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Need Help With Swelling

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    I am not "advising on raising them". We spoke once about feeding them proper amounts for them to grow.
    As for advising on meds, I havent at all as I have 26 of my own at the moment so am not around as much to help. Clavamox/clindamycin would be my suggestion if it is a potential bone issue.
    I was just going by a prior post made by Sophie, as he was thanking you for your assistance and that with your guidance his little were doing well. I have no idea how much or little advice was given. I'm sorry if you feel you didn't advise him. We are all buried in babies and none of us are around as much to help. I didn't say you advised on meds, I suggested that he ask you as you went through a bone joint thing with one of yours awhile ago and I thought you might be a good resource. I suggested the clav/clinda combo days ago. Thank you for your thoughts and I'm sorry if I added more to your plate by suggesting you as a resource, it won't happen again.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

SophieSquirrel (08-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    I was just going by a prior post made by Sophie, as he was thanking you for your assistance and that with your guidance his little were doing well. I have no idea how much or little advice was given. I'm sorry if you feel you didn't advise him. We are all buried in babies and none of us are around as much to help. I didn't say you advised on meds, I suggested that he ask you as you went through a bone joint thing with one of yours awhile ago and I thought you might be a good resource. I suggested the clav/clinda combo days ago. Thank you for your thoughts and I'm sorry if I added more to your plate by suggesting you as a resource, it won't happen again.
    Really Betsy,

so uncool. I like you but you keep doing this to Gayle and others. You make a snarky comment and than kinda sorta walk it back while making it look like Gayle is being overly sensitive. Try rereading what you said and be honest with yourself on how you'd handle this if someone was talking to you in that way. Gayle isn't advising on raising them, she is sharing her experiences regarding the issue. That's offering advise but not on raising them. I liked what you wrote:
    Gayle fought a long hard battle against a joint infection...have you discussed this with her
    too bad you didn't stop there, cuz the rest was just a way to stir up trouble.

I learned from Gayle about using Clavamox/Clindamycin and it saved my Jack. He had a nasty abscess show up on his amputated limb and my vet said to use something other than Clavamox/Clinda and to not lance it. Gayle shared her story regarding a squirrel who battled many abscesses so I tried what worked for her. I figured out my own dosing, so she didn't advise me on that, incase some think that would be a problem.

Anyway, I lanced the abscess and gave him 5 days of the stacked meds. I had to stop because after day 5 he wasn't eating as well as he had been and he was very fussy while nursing. Again I reached out to Gayle who suggested that the Clindamycin might be hurting his tummy. Sure enough 12 hours after stopping the AB's he was eating like a trooper again. What Gayle did was help me with an issue, she wasn't giving me raising advice and IMO, the latter part of your sentence was said to be mean and smackdown Gayle.

I"m sure you'll be angry at me now, but really that was so uncalled for. As I said, I like you and value your advice you are very knowledgeable and helpful. Helping people out here isn't a competition no one is keeping track of how many you help or how many Gayle does. I'm thankful that this board exists so we all can benefit from the advise of people who have had experiences that can be shared to save other squirrels!! That's what this is all about, right? Our Squirrels.

I have to get to bed so I can wake up in 2 hours to feed my little 14 gram pinky. So Peace Out!
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

SammysMom (08-11-2018), SophieSquirrel (08-11-2018)

Well said, Kim. We’re all doing our best here and helping where we can. It’s not a competition.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

SammysMom (08-11-2018), SophieSquirrel (08-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    That's what this is all about, right? Our Squirrels.

Double Quote: Mel - "We’re all doing our best here and helping where we can. It’s not a competition"

Everybody who has posted on this thread have always been extremely helpful and and treated me with kindness and I thank you all. A couple of great points made: it's is about the squirrels, not us. It's about injured squirrels, sick squirrels, orphaned squirrels and innocent squirrels that are in danger of being euthanized.

Mel is right it's not a competition and I am not referring to the minor buzz on this thread as we are all friends and Betsy, Gayle, and Kim are all trying to help. I for one appreciate the freedom of speech to discuss, share opinions, and suggest solutions of all levels depending on the seriousness of the situation and some serious problems need stronger solutions... Like using faster acting antibiotics.

I appreciate all the suggestions on this thread and I am sorry I didn't answer sooner it's been a busy week. She is on Clavamox and the swelling is down considerably. The vet would not prescribe Clindamycin and I didn't want to push the issue as he let me use his anesthesia equipment and dremel to trim Winnie. Didn't go with the slower acting SMZ-TMP as indicated by Dr. Diaz (yes admin I have his permission to use his name on posts).

Thanks to all my friends who posted on here to help the little tyke.

If you want Clindamycin I can send you some.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SophieSquirrel (08-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    [B]

I appreciate all the suggestions on this thread and I am sorry I didn't answer sooner it's been a busy week. She is on Clavamox and the swelling is down considerably. The vet would not prescribe Clindamycin and I didn't want to push the issue as he let me use his anesthesia equipment and dremel to trim Winnie. Didn't go with the slower acting SMZ-TMP as indicated by Dr. Diaz (yes admin I have his permission to use his name on posts).

Thanks to all my friends who posted on here to help the little tyke.
    Clavamox alone doesn't really do the trick. You really need to do both medicines at the same time as others have kept telling you You also need to lance the abscess and squeeze the pus out, it isn't that gross, it looks like cottage cheese
    Kim Cassidy

I have already lanced it at the vets. He will not touch wildlife so i had to do the procedure myself along with my own incisor trim on Winston. The only AB's I have are Clavamox, Inj Baytril and SMZ-TMP 400/80 Tabs.

Should I stack any of these in absence of Clindamycin considering the infection has improved? I totally hear what you saying and that this combo works. I have never had a vet stack AB's. When it comes to squirrel advice I will usually take the advice of an experienced rehabber over a non-wildlife (cat and dog) vet.

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    I have already lanced it at the vets. He will not touch wildlife so i had to do the procedure myself along with my own incisor trim on Winston. The only AB's I have are Clavamox, Inj Baytril and SMZ-TMP 400/80 Tabs.

Should I stack any of these in absence of Clindamycin considering the infection has improved? I totally hear what you are saying and that this works. I have never had a vet stack AB's. When it comes to squirrel advice I will usually take the advice of an experienced rehabber over a non-wildlife (cat and dog) vet
    Your vet sucks LOL . sorta kidding

I think Mel offered to send you Clindamycin, you should take him/her up on this offer. Gayle went thru hell and bac with Peg a squirrel who had abscess after abscess pop up because her vet felt Clavamox was sufficient. She asked him to let her try to stack Clindamycin after throwing his hands up he said Okay and that is when she got better.

I lanced the abscesses myself as well. It isn't a big production at all. I bought scapels from a medical supply store (I always keep a few boxes on hand) and used that to poke a hole in it. Jack was not upset when I did it. He didn't like it when I reopened the next day though, but I did it anyway for 2 more days and after that it healed up. Thankfully I only had to deal with the one.

if he has that many abscesses he for sure needs the two meds together. UGH, poor baby.

Talk to Mel!!!!
    Kim Cassidy

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

island rehabber (08-12-2018), Mel1959 (08-11-2018), TubeDriver (08-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    Your vet sucks LOL . sorta kidding
    Well.... Most vets are cat and dog oriented and when it comes to squirrels they do suck!

I will PM you regarding the meds due to a PM I received regarding discussions on the open board

Kim,

Girl with swelling doing well after lancing and AB's.

Got three Foxers in today from a vet!

Looks like a 3 handed Vulcan mind meld!

Name:  DSC02862.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  63.8 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12