Thread: Does aspiration always mean AP?

Azure15 Guest

Default Does aspiration always mean AP?

Hello!

I have a tiny 2-3 week old little guy and he aspirated last night- around 8pm. I'm not hearing clicking yet, but he's so small I don't know if trust my ears. 3 questions: 1)does aspiration mean he will get AP for sure? I'm really paranoid about AP, so I'm just thinking I should go get antibiotics asap regardless. 2) Will a round of antibiotics hurt anything if he doesn't have AP? there are no rehabbers around me, nor do I have any "critter" vets, so I just need to beg and plead with my regular vet to see if they will prescribe me the medication. Even then, I'm not sure they would know the dosage. 3) Can anybody help with dosage?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Azure15 from:

SammysMom (07-30-2018)

Default Re: Does aspiration always mean AP?

Having milk come out of their nose doesnt mean AP automatically. Having cipro or another antibiotic on hand is a good idea though.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

ClemC5 (07-30-2018)

Azure15 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Having milk come out of their nose doesnt mean AP automatically. Having cipro or another antibiotic on hand is a good idea though.
    Thank you- I have cipro in pill form that was prescribed to me for UTI..is this the same thing? (Not that I can do anything g with a pill) Ideas on where to get meds if my vet says no way? Baby is 63 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by Azure15 View Post
    Thank you- I have cipro in pill form that was prescribed to me for UTI..is this the same thing? (Not that I can do anything g with a pill) Ideas on where to get meds if my vet says no way? Baby is 63 grams.
    If you can provide us with the info on the cipro - is the pill 250mg or 500mg? With this and his weight, someone here can tell you how to properly dilute it. You will need a 1cc syringe to do this.

I would wait and watch and at the first sign of unusual lethargy, not wanting to eat when he should be ready, etc., then you can dose him.

If this should happen to you again - sucking formula up the nose - immediately release the syringe so it falls from the baby's mouth, turn him upside down (nose down, tail up) above you and very gently suck his little nose! Yes, you may get some squirrel snots, but this is the fastest way to prevent the fluid from ever reaching the lungs.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chickenlegs (07-30-2018), Spanky (07-30-2018)

Azure15 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    If you can provide us with the info on the cipro - is the pill 250mg or 500mg? With this and his weight, someone here can tell you how to properly dilute it. You will need a 1cc syringe to do this.

I would wait and watch and at the first sign of unusual lethargy, not wanting to eat when he should be ready, etc., then you can dose him.

If this should happen to you again - sucking formula up the nose - immediately release the syringe so it falls from the baby's mouth, turn him upside down (nose down, tail up) above you and very gently suck his little nose! Yes, you may get some squirrel snots, but this is the fastest way to prevent the fluid from ever reaching the lungs.
    THANK YOU! so far he's doing well..no clicking that I can hear and is eating and pottying well. I will get you the pill into today tho! One thing I did notice, it almost looks like he's gagging every time I feed him but he's eating in my take the syringe away he just really wants more. He's still swallowing and breathing as he's making this strange little face. I don't know him that well yet so it could just be his style of eating? Has anybody ever seen this before?

We call it "guppy mouth" because they look like a fish at the surface of the water. It is sort of a "feeding trance" and it can get to really be a pain. Don't squirt formula down when they are doing it. I have found that doing something to focus them elsewhere - like taking the syringe out of their mouth and using it to tap them on the head - will stop it for a bit. Some do it, some don't, we don't know why, but most people who have raised several squirrels have seen it.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Azure15 Guest

Red face Re: Does aspiration always mean AP?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    We call it "guppy mouth" because they look like a fish at the surface of the water. It is sort of a "feeding trance" and it can get to really be a pain. Don't squirt formula down when they are doing it. I have found that doing something to focus them elsewhere - like taking the syringe out of their mouth and using it to tap them on the head - will stop it for a bit. Some do it, some don't, we don't know why, but most people who have raised several squirrels have seen it.
    He does look exactly like a guppy! Ok I won't worry about it, and will try a little tap on his head. I usually take the syringe out of his mouth when he does it..but he goes right back to it when the syringe is back. Will try your method! Warm fuzzy thanks for all your replies! I'm not sure yet how to do the "warm fuzzy" thanks at the bottom of the threads yet!

I'm not sure yet how to do the "warm fuzzy" thanks at the bottom of the threads yet!
    Just click on it.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Azure15 Guest

Red face Re: Does aspiration always mean AP?

THANK YOU! so far he's doing well..no clicking that I can hear and is eating and pottying well. I will get you the pill into today tho! One thing I did notice, it almost looks like he's gagging every time I feed him but he's eating in my take the syringe away he just really wants more. He's still swallowing and breathing as he's making this strange little face. I don't know him that well yet so it could just be his style of eating? Has anybody ever seen this before?
    Hello again,

The cipro is 500mg, in capsule form and the baby weighs approximately 72grams. He's still doing great- I think I have to check back in about dosage if I needed it at some point because his weight will probably be different.

Yes, if he’s still doing fine no need to worry about getting a dosing now. Just continue to watch for any signs of AP. Having abs on hand is always a good idea so you can administer it as soon as you notice any signs of AP.

Great job! I hope he continues to do well.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.