Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help

Default help

my heart is broken, i was brought two orphaned greys this week. about 10 days old/ feeding them an mix of formula and cream, they were doing amazing untill this morning the girl whome i named delilah started showing signs of pnumomina , i know i spelled it wrong but i have cried so much i dont care to correct it, i called all of my local vets , none of them except them anymore, i found a lady who runs a rehab center for the babies but shes at work until late tonight, delilah has slow shallow breath, wont eat, her toung is sticking to the roof of her mouth,she refuses water. im scared she wont make it until the lady gets off, her brother whom i named timmy is doing great, i feel so lost, this isnt my first rodeo, i successfully raised an eastern grey named alvin for 10 years. someone help me please

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Darklotus from:

KarmaKay (07-27-2018)

Default Re: help

Quote Originally Posted by Darklotus View Post
    my heart is broken, i was brought two orphaned greys this week. about 10 days old/ feeding them an mix of formula and cream, they were doing amazing untill this morning the girl whome i named delilah started showing signs of pnumomina , i know i spelled it wrong but i have cried so much i dont care to correct it, i called all of my local vets , none of them except them anymore, i found a lady who runs a rehab center for the babies but shes at work until late tonight, delilah has slow shallow breath, wont eat, her toung is sticking to the roof of her mouth,she refuses water. im scared she wont make it until the lady gets off, her brother whom i named timmy is doing great, i feel so lost, this isnt my first rodeo, i successfully raised an eastern grey named alvin for 10 years. someone help me please
    Try to get hydration into the babies, even if that is drop by drop. Try different temperatures.. from warm to very warm to see if that helps. You can add a touch of honey to see if that entices them.

You will need antibiotics very quickly if this is pneumonia. Do you have any antibiotics? If so tell us what you have exactly and we'll let you know if it ca be used to treat pneumonia. If you do not have any, call all your friends and family and see if they have any... Cipro or Augmentin would be best.

Please explain what exactly you are feeding them.. "formula and cream". What kind of formula, how much and how much cream in the mix.

she just passed in my hands, my hearts so broken right now omg

im using the pet ag esblic puppy formula 1 part them two parts hott water and 1 part cream ,i got it from the squirrel refuge page

i called very vet in town. nobody would help me, they kept saying the are pest animals . the lady i found who does rehablitate in my area isnt accepting any babies, she has some of her own and she said that hers are having issues, when the babies was found we had a really bad storm , their nest was destroyed, the gentel man out them in a box so their mom could come to them but she never came he was scared so he brought them to me , i checked for wounds, listened for gasping or clicking with the breath , everything was fine, i rehydrated for 12 hours then slowly strted them on the mixture, she had slight diareah but it cleared up with in a few hours, she was fine not a single issue , i have been keeping the heat pad under half of the crate, they eat every 3 hours , everything was fine, then this morning she refused to eat i didnt think much of it, that was at 3 am, i gave her 1 cc of pedilyte, by the 6 am feeding she refused to eat again i checjed for signs of bloat, nothing, her breathing was fine so i gave her some more pedilyte , i also potty them AT evry feeding, by 12 she sill refused to eat, i caled all the vets i could find called 3 diffrent rehablitation centers , two never answered so i left a message still havent herd back, then i found a lady but shes at work ND isnt accpeting any arrivals , i am on my own at this poiint , i have followed evry instruction , i have put my heart into these babys, i cant belive shes gone

she just passed in my hands, my hearts so broken right now omg
    I am sorry to learn this, I will post more info to help her brother soon. RIP little precious girl.

im using the pet ag esblic puppy formula 1 part them two parts hott water and 1 part cream ,i got it from the squirrel refuge page
    The Squirrel Refuge is top notch!

Just to be certain: You are using the powdered Esbilac? Pet Ag makes many different versions, here is a pic of the one you want to use:

I would remove the cream for now, many babies cannot handle the cream. Also, are you mixing the powder formula up ahead of time? We recommend you mix it several hours before feeding to allow it to more fully dissolve. The mixed formula should be stored in the refrigerator (and the powder in the freezer after it is opened).

Also very important: How much does he weigh? How much are you feeding him? How often are you feeding him?

Attached Images Attached Images  

yeah that is the exact brand im using, i will take the cream away, i mix th formula and let it sit for 2-3 hours before use, im not sure what his weight is, i have to go buy a scale , i honestly never wanted to do this again , back in 2012 i lost 3 babies due to fv the mix turned to stone bascilly and hey died with in hours of eating it, it killed me to loose all at once, but i just didnt have the heart to say no.

I am sorry your little one did not make it.

Two things critical for raising little ones are a good digital scale so you can follow the 5-7% rule of thumb regarding feeding amounts and also having a couple Baytril or Cipro pills on hand in case they get pneumonia. You can get a little digital kitchen scale at local stores or Amazon. Check with your family members and friends to see if anyone has any Cipro pills left over and sitting around.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Sorry to hear you lost her. I have had a litter of five for about a week now that came in as newborns courtesy of a tree company. It was only luck and good advice from many senior TSB members that they are still alive. Pinkies are not my forte and even experienced rehabbers lose many of them.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

dextersmom (07-27-2018), KarmaKay (07-27-2018)

So sorry for your loss. You did your best,and that is all we can do.

Darklotus, I am so very sorry you didn't get the help you needed for these precious little ones. I also share your painful memory of 2012 (and 2013 as well) when FV 32/40 was killing pinkies everywhere. I still have nightmares; I lost twelve, more than I'd ever lost in 14 yrs of rehabbing before that.

You did what you could; is the brother doing ok? I have been using Esbilac for pinkies ever since the 32/40 episode and have had no problems since.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

timmy ia doing great he is a little piggy i talked to the local rehablitator last night for an hour , we are going to meet up today so she can give timmy look over and make sure everything is in tip top shape,i keep a detailed log book for him, it sows every feeding , every bowl movement , basciclly any worries , im going to sit down with her and have her look over my notes, since it had been somany years since i had pinkies i wanted to keep evrything logged for safe keepings ,

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Darklotus:

island rehabber (07-27-2018), TubeDriver (07-27-2018)

i buried delilah yesterday and circled her grave with beautiful white rocks and with a d for her name , she will be deeply missed

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Darklotus:

HRT4SQRLS (07-28-2018), island rehabber (07-28-2018), TubeDriver (07-27-2018)

i took timmy to see her, he is doing amazing.he is 36 grams , he is still eating very good, we set it up that when it is time for him to be released he will go to her house, she has a full set up cage to help him cope with living in the wild, she also has an amazing set up in her house, i will keep everyone updated on timmys journey

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Darklotus:

HRT4SQRLS (07-28-2018), island rehabber (07-28-2018)

i took timmy to see her, he is doing amazing.he is 36 grams , he is still eating very good, we set it up that when it is time for him to be released he will go to her house, she has a full set up cage to help him cope with living in the wild, she also has an amazing set up in her house, i will keep everyone updated on timmys journey
    That's wonderful, Darklotus!! Would you share her name with us, even thru a PM if you don't want to post it? We always want to know where the good squirrel rehabbers are, especially in your state where we don't know of many. Good work saving little Timmy and we LOVE pix, so post 'em if you got 'em!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chickenlegs (07-28-2018), Mel1959 (07-28-2018), stepnstone (07-28-2018)

Timmy started acting off late evening yesterday so I started him on batrim . I have been giving him . .001 cc it has caused him to have white runny poop. Is that normal or should I take him to the vet?

I have been giving him pedylite 1cc every few hours to keep him hydrated. But he isn't wanting to use the bathroom .

What do you mean he doesn’t want to use the bathroom? Antibiotics can definitely cause runny poop. Are you giving a probiotic an hour before or two hours after the antibiotic? What is the antibiotic for? Was it dosed by your vet or someone on TSB?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    What do you mean he doesn’t want to use the bathroom? Antibiotics can definitely cause runny poop. Are you giving a probiotic an hour before or two hours after the antibiotic? What is the antibiotic for? Was it dosed by your vet or someone on TSB?
    I have been working with a lisensed rehabilitator, she gave me the med which is bactrim , .001cc for 25grams of baby, what probiotics should I use? I stopped giving him formula and have been giving him pedylite, I have used been keeping track and using the advice between her hear and squirrel refuge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast