Thread: Can a squirrels drey be relocated?

Default Can a squirrels drey be relocated?

I wasn’t sure where to post this, so if it needs to be moved, by all means move it.

I found what looks to be a very well built, cozy drey underneath a neighbors palm tree following a windy rainstorm yesterday. I looked all over for any babies and found none. There appears to be no evidence of squirrel poop inside the drey so it may not have been used. The inside is lined with coco fiber from a coconut palm and the outside is twigs from the seed pods of a cabbage palm. Ingenious!

My question is, if I put this drey up in the crook of a branch in my oak tree will it be used by another squirrel? I could probably put it back in the palm tree it came from, but it must not have been a great location to begin with, since it blew down.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Can a squirrels drey be relocated?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    My question is, if I put this drey up in the crook of a branch in my oak tree will it be used by another squirrel? I could probably put it back in the palm tree it came from, but it must not have been a great location to begin with, since it blew down.
    Either another will use it or pull from it to rebuild another,
    either way it's a win. I'd put it up.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (07-20-2018)