Thread: Time to release my little man

angnkids33 Guest

Default Time to release my little man

I have a one year old grey squirrel named Skitter. After a 10 day hospital stay with my foster child. My Skitter has started the teeth chattering and had attacked me on two occasions. I was under the impression that he couldn’t be released. But after reading ton of forms on squirrelboard, I now believe he can. I only want what is best for him. My question is how to start the release process? Thanks in advance

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to angnkids33 from:

TubeDriver (07-19-2018)

Default Re: Time to release my little man

Hi,

I can't type much now, I have to run but this link will answer lots of your questions about a proper soft-release.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-How-to-Sticky

Your squirrel is definitely not too old to be soft released!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

The release process begins by putting him in an outside release cage. There are lots of ideas on how to build one on this forum. Some folks have used a regular cage and moved it outside. The outside cage needs to have a roof and some protection from the sun and rain on at least two sides. I put a nest box inside the release cage, along with a fleece cube, and let them choose which they want to sleep in. If your release cage is big enough, I like to put two nest boxes in and then move one up into a nearby tree. I haven’t released many squirrels but the ones I have released have hung around in “their” nest boxes. I think their scent already being in the box let’s them know it’s a safe place.

Once you put him into the release cage you continue to feed him whatever you have always been feeding. I had a very large release cage so my first two boys were in there for 4-6 weeks. You might find that because he’s older and used to an indoor life it might take him a little longer to be comfortable with the outside sounds and smells....or it may not. You’ll have to decide how long he needs to be in there, usually at least two or more weeks. Pacing is not always an indicator that it’s time to open the release cage door. You want him to be prepared for a life in the trees as best as you can.

The release cage should have a small 3”x3” or 4”x4” opening that can be opened when its time for him to leave. This way once he’s released it can remain open during the day in case he wants to return to the release cage to sleep or for safety. If he chooses to go back inside the release cage then you close the portal at night and reopen it first thing in the morning..

Good luck with your release. If you have any questions just ask.

Why did you think that he was non-releaseable?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

angnkids33 Guest

Just from what I was told. He was use to people and other animals. He wouldn’t know how to find food ect........... but after reading a lot on this site and my own instincts, I think he would do just find. I am not a professional, I own a mobile home park full of squirrels. I called around my area when I first found him, and everyone was full, I was pretty much told to let nature run it’s course. We have ton of stray cats, I just couldn’t let him be eaten.

Members who have read this thread: 1