Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front leg paralysis

Default Front leg paralysis

Hello,
    I have a southern flying squirrel that seems to have paralysis o f his front 2 legs. He is hopping around on his back 2 legs but will not put any weight on his front 2 legs. Any idea what this could be?

Default Re: Front leg paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by JMF2323 View Post
    Hello,
    I have a southern flying squirrel that seems to have paralysis o f his front 2 legs. He is hopping around on his back 2 legs but will not put any weight on his front 2 legs. Any idea what this could be?
    How old is he and what is his diet? How long has this been going on? Metabolic Bone Disease normally affects the rear end first, but we need this info to try to help you.

Do you have a vet who will see him?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Diggie's Friend (07-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    How old is he and what is his diet? How long has this been going on? Metabolic Bone Disease normally affects the rear end first, but we need this info to try to help you.

Do you have a vet who will see him?
    He is 8 months old. I feed him Henry's Hi-protein blocks, vegetables, mealworms(I have been feeding him supwrworms for the past 2 weeks) and some fruits and hard shelled nuts. He was fine yesterday afternoon, but when he woke up last night I noticed him hoping on his back two legs, when I took him out of his cage I noticed he will not put any weight on his front legs.

Yes, I am going to take him to the vet tomorrow, it actually seems as if it's his front right ankle that is the problem. I was checking if I could see any problem with his front legs and it seems he doesn't have any pain, I was massaging his front legs and he was actually licking me as I massaged him, so it doesn't seem as if he's in pain.

Diet sounds good - don't go too crazy on the worms though. They are very high in phosphorus and can really skew the calcium levels when they have too many.

This sounds like an injury. Does he have an exercise wheel? If so, go over it with a fine tooth comb. Any holes chewed on the platform they run on in the wheel will allow a foot to slip through and since they do about 80mph on those things, it could cause a bad injury really fast.

What type cage is he in? Is it a bird cage type cage - where the places on the corners where one side meets the other often makes a really small opening that arms and legs and tails can slip into - pinch points. They panic as soon as they realize they are restrained and yank and hurt themselves. This is another reason why I like the Critter Nation cages - they are manufactured in such a way that they have no pinch points.

Yes he does have a freedom wheel, but he doesn't use it or go in it. His cage is a Congo cage from Exotic Nutrition. How many worms do you suggest I feed him per day?

Good question!

I do know that they consume allot of insects in the wild. Protein from sources higher in Phosphorus than calcium is key to supply energy needs.

Dusting the worms (freeze dried) with calcium powder is needful.

Pet Flora from "Vitality Science" NM or "Safer Medical" MT, (on amazon.com) that supports the well digestion of foods, degrading of anti nutrients, and counters bad bacteria, is anti viral, and supplies trace minerals.

Plain organic yogurt can be used to add healthy sources like Organic Chia oil (Foods alive), and Pumpkin Seed oil (Oil seed company of Oregon), to the diet, along with calcium.

I do have the vita-min supplement that I add the the worms 2-3 times per week. I read that over supplimenting them can also cause problems, since he does eat his hi protein blocks I figured he should be getting all the vitamins and minerals he needs. Any ways tomorrow I will take him to the vet and have him do all tests to make sure he is healthy and to see what's wrong with his foot. I really want to thank everyone for your quick responses and help.

I don't feed Super worms. I feed two WaxWorms per day.
    Super worms are not recommended unless you remove the head. I will NEVER do that. They have strong mandibles and can actually bite. I have even heard they can damage the upper GI tract but I can't confirm that. Also, too many worms like that can lacerated the GI tract with the exoskeleton. I know of a couple that had bleeding from the lower GI tract and excessive exoskeleton was thought to be a possibility. Frankly, I wouldn't use them. Stick with meal worms or wax worms.

Metacam will help if it's inflammation due to injury but your vet will direct you.

Supplementation is not necessary if you are feeding the Henry's block. The only supplementation I ever do is an occasional dusting of calcium carbonate or dusting worms with calcium.

I actually read somewhere that superworms were ok to feed them, I guess no more superworms for him. It's actually funny that you say superworms can bite as the first day I fed him superworms apparently it bit him as he jumped on me and dropped the worm, he did go right back in for the kill, now he actually takes a couple of seconds to actually grab it by the head and eats the head first. The reason I am feeding superworms is that all the Petsmart in Miami have been out of Mealworms for the last month or so. I will pick up some waxworms for him tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Superworms can't bite if they're freeze dried; then you can cut the head of and not be the executioner.

As far as MBD, since the diet is sufficient it doesn't appear to be the cause. Also it is the hind legs, not the forearms that are noted to go out from MBD, as well from arthritis due to old age.

Stroke, or injury as mentioned prior, can result in damage causing pressure on the nerves due to swelling or misalignment.

You can palpate the upper back very gently with your finger tips to check for swelling and/or tenderness, or wait for your vet to do that.

Does your squirrel move its forearms on its own? Gently touch its paws to see if there is a reactive movement, but don't move them yourself.

If there is movement then they aren't paralyzed, but weak, or perhaps not using due to back pain.

You don't happen to feed Brazil nuts do you? If you do have you fed any in the last few days?

Sorry about the multiple posts, I forgot to ask how old your squirrel is?

He definitely moves his left forearm, but he really doesn't move his right forearm. I just took him out of his cage and gently touched his back and right forearm and I really don't feel any swelling, but I don't know what to look for either and I don't want to stress him out or hurt him. No I don't feed him any Brazilian nuts, I only feed him walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts and an occasional peacan. To me it seems as if it's his right forearm foot, I put it against my finger and he doesn't even move it, but it doesn't seem to bother him either as if it would I suppose he would bite me or squeak.

He is 8 months old. Please don't be sorry ask as many questions as you need to. I really appreciate the help. I was really freaking out last night when I noticed him hopping on his back legs.

Quote Originally Posted by JMF2323 View Post
    I actually read somewhere that superworms were ok to feed them, I guess no more superworms for him. It's actually funny that you say superworms can bite as the first day I fed him superworms apparently it bit him as he jumped on me and dropped the worm, he did go right back in for the kill, now he actually takes a couple of seconds to actually grab it by the head and eats the head first. The reason I am feeding superworms is that all the Petsmart in Miami have been out of Mealworms for the last month or so. I will pick up some waxworms for him tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!!!

They can have them but removing the head is the 'safe' way. I'm just not going to do that. Of course, if he removes the head first... go for it.
    Yes, I'm familiar with the shortage of meal worms and WaxWorms in the pet retailers. Apparently it was a national shortage. I checked again on Fri and did find WaxWorms at PetCo. They still didn't have mealworms. They can be ordered online and some reported that the quality was much better than those bought locally. I tried to order them from GrubCo but I needed to be home to receive them and that's not going to happen for me.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Diggie's Friend (07-15-2018)

Here is a picture of him eating a carrot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Camilles Vita-mealies offers organic raised mealies both live and freeze dried. https://vita-mealie.weebly.com/dried...-listings.html

It may be better to get the freeze dried mealies rather than lose many in transit due to the high temperatures,

that would have to be tossed out due to bacterial issues.

So it is just the one arm that has no feeling as far as you can tell. I would think if the other arm didn't have pain that your squirrel would use it,

yet if one has pain and the other no feeling it might explain why neither are being used presently.

Let us know what your Veterinarian has to say. Likely they will take an x-ray.

Make sure your squirrel has eaten before you take them to the vet, as stress lowers the blood sugar level which can provoke a seizure.

Bring a small container with either molasses, or maple sugar with you;

a drop of either put onto the gums or inside the mouth just behind the incisors, can help prevent seizures.

So the vet couldn't see him today, we have an emergency appointment tomorrow at 8:30am. I went home for lunch and brought him out of his cage and he is not moving any of his forearms. he cant eat his blocks as he picks them up with his mouth and drops them, its like if he's telling me, cant you see I cant eat them. I feel really bad for him!!!! is there anything I can do until tomorrow morning?

I have called every vet in Miami and most of them don't treat squirrels.

Flyers tend to like yogurt.

I would try grinding up the block and give it to him in a 1/2 to 1 Tsp. of yogurt; he may be able to eat the block that way.

If you have no way to grind the block, put it between two sheets of computer paper and use a hammer to crush the block to a fine grade

that he can then easily swallow without having to chew it first.

If you can find Stonyfield plain organic yogurt, or another similar product, add just a bit of berry preserves to it,

or get their vanilla yogurt to peak his interest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast