Thread: Eyes swollen shut, skin condition

Sqrlmama Guest

Default Eyes swollen shut, skin condition

Hello dear squirrel seers—my sweet rehabbed released squirrel is suffering.
    Name:  62B96198-894A-4D6B-B7C5-D0AC0BEA73C0.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  162.9 KBSeveral weeks ago I noticed small fruit fly looking bugs biting her underside, when I investigated her nest box I found the bedding was crawling with various life stage bugs (mites, fleas, flies, I’m not sure). I cleaned out that bedding which caused her to abandon her box ��
    Since then her condition has deteriorated and her coat looks irregular and skin swollen, especially around her eyes which are shut and have pus. Please advise! I bought ivermectin paste, kitten Advantage drops and will get antibiotic ophthalmopic solution. Is this a good plan? Thank you so much

Default Re: Eyes swollen shut, skin condition

Poor baby! PM Sophie Squirrel and see if there’s a squirrel friendly vet close to you. Get your baby inside so he can be transported to a vet and treated as soon as possible

I would skip the Advantage - we really don't have enough info and experience using it - we recommend Revolution as a spot on type treatment. The ivermectin paste will work for mites as well. You would use ONE of these meds- either the Revolution or the ivermectin - not both.

Ivermectin needs to be re-treated at, I believe, 7 to 10 day intervals. So you treat, then 7-10 days later you re-treat, and then 7-10 days after that you re-treat again. The meds don't kill the mite eggs, so you knock down the adults, eggs hatch, the 2nd treatment kills them and the third is to clean up any final eggs. With Revolution the retreating is not needed since it stays active for 30 days and so automatically kills everything as it emerges from the egg.

I am sure the eye solution is a good idea as well.

Have you re-captured this animal? Can you? She needs to be away from any other squirrels that you may have but she can't survive like this without a lot of help from you.

Sqrlmama Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I would skip the Advantage - we really don't have enough info and experience using it - we recommend Revolution as a spot on type treatment. The ivermectin paste will work for mites as well. You would use ONE of these meds- either the Revolution or the ivermectin - not both.

Ivermectin needs to be re-treated at, I believe, 7 to 10 day intervals. So you treat, then 7-10 days later you re-treat, and then 7-10 days after that you re-treat again. The meds don't kill the mite eggs, so you knock down the adults, eggs hatch, the 2nd treatment kills them and the third is to clean up any final eggs. With Revolution the retreating is not needed since it stays active for 30 days and so automatically kills everything as it emerges from the egg.

I am sure the eye solution is a good idea as well.

Have you re-captured this animal? Can you? She needs to be away from any other squirrels that you may have but she can't survive like this without a lot of help from you.
    Hi there, thank you so much for your advice. I haven’t recaptured her but will tomorrow. I live about 4hrs away from her. She lives on my parents’ property. I travelled in this weekend to come get her and get help for her as my parents’ reports became more concerning

Sqrlmama Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    GOOD mama!
    You’re too kind...feeling like a big fat rotten failure for my sweet girl

Got your PM and have a top vet if necessary. PM reply left. (Thanks CL)

Your sweet rehab squirrel seems to be extremely dehydrated. I would hydrate first before giving any medications like Ivermectin or Revolution. In extreme cases of dehydration the eyes become cloudy and can produce a white substance. The bigger problem here is dehydration. Parasites are a big problem here too but should be treated after the dehydration problem is addressed as soon as possible. I would go with Capstar first for relief from fleas at least. When the squirrel is better hydrated (after SQ and oral hydration first) and is stable I would use one of the other drugs mentioned for external and internal parasites. These drugs are really big for a very dehydrated and sick squirrel to handle at this stage of dehydration.

Praying for you and your precious rehab squirrel.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

redwuff (07-14-2018), SophieSquirrel (07-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    Your sweet rehab squirrel seems to be extremely dehydrated. I would hydrate first before giving any medications like Ivermectin
    A quick vet visit in her area is not an option and she can't travel to my vet so she is going to run a course of SMZ-TMP in addition to Terramycin Opthalmic for the eyes and flea treatment. UDoWhat is spot on - hydration before meds. So relieved you were able to re-capture your baby and make her safe.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

redwuff (07-14-2018)

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

SophieSquirrel (07-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    So the squirrel IS in, right?
    "Nutmeg" is safe and sound back with mamma and is in transit back home for treatment. Recommended Vet was too far but she has AB's & Terramycin Ophthalmic. Poor baby could not even see.

15. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

Diggie's Friend (07-15-2018), lukaslolamaus (07-15-2018), Mel1959 (07-15-2018), Nancy in New York (07-15-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 1