Thread: Previously Rehabbed and Released Squirrel in shock/dog had in mouth

Default Previously Rehabbed and Released Squirrel in shock/dog had in mouth

I have a red squirrel that is blind in one eye and was rehabbed by me and released in early May of this year. Our dog had her in his mouth, today, and was carrying her around. She had no puncture wounds or obvious injuries but was gasping for air and seems to be in shock. Other than putting her in a quite crate, should I do anything else in particular?

Default Re: Previously Rehabbed and Released Squirrel in shock/dog had in mouth

Dog Shaking can be deadly for squirrels.

Keep her quiet and warm. I would offer her some sweetened water. If you have any metacam or infant Ibuprofen, you could give her some to. Let us know if you need any dosing help with her?

Quote Originally Posted by marykey7 View Post
    I have a red squirrel that is blind in one eye and was rehabbed by me and released in early May of this year. Our dog had her in his mouth, today, and was carrying her around. She had no puncture wounds or obvious injuries but was gasping for air and seems to be in shock. Other than putting her in a quite crate, should I do anything else in particular?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Mel1959 (07-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by marykey7 View Post
    I suppose we already know the outcome of this little one, so sad.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Nancy in New York (07-14-2018)

Released a one eyed squirrel? I don't think I'd release a partially blind squirrel is that just me?
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    Released a one eyed squirrel? I don't think I'd release a partially blind squirrel is that just me?
    I will wholeheartedly second that - they need both eyes to judge distance and to avoid predators. There is always someone out there that will properly care for a handicapped long term NR.

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post

I may be wrong, but I believe NY State Wildlife Rehabilitation guidelines allow for the release of a one-eyed squirrel. I have done it successfully myself...however I release in a nature center where there are no feral cats OR dogs.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

A number of years ago I had a little girl that was blind in one eye. Her name was Sami (spelled with an "i" cause she needed another one). She was released and I saw her eating nuts and kicking butts in the yard for close to 3 years. She was a force to be reckoned with.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

island rehabber (07-19-2018)

I agree that in certain circumstances it would probably be safe, my house is one of those places 40 acres with nothing but natural predators. I'd play it case by case.

Thanks,
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

island rehabber (07-19-2018), TubeDriver (07-19-2018)

Judgment call based on the squirrel, the location etc. Not ideal but things are seldom ideal!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

island rehabber (07-19-2018)

I have what I assume to be a one-eyed squirrel that frequents my yard. His name is Grizzly. He’s an older and well-grizzled squirrel with a notch in his ear and a very pronounced cloudy eye. He seems to do very well. He is very cautious and doesn’t always come to eat when others are around. When I see him I like to give him some special treats and a couple of HHB’s just so he gets some good nutrition. He actually seems to command a little respect from the other wilds.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

bearmode Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I have what I assume to be a one-eyed squirrel that frequents my yard. His name is Grizzly. He’s an older and well-grizzled squirrel with a notch in his ear and a very pronounced cloudy eye. He seems to do very well. He is very cautious and doesn’t always come to eat when others are around. When I see him I like to give him some special treats and a couple of HHB’s just so he gets some good nutrition. He actually seems to command a little respect from the other wilds.
    I have a Grizzly of my own! He has both his eyes but both of his ears are damaged and about half of his tail was recently degloved from who knows what. He's a bully and a jerk to other squirrels at my apartments and I'm never surprised when he looks a little more beat up than normal. He's very skiddish, sometimes he'll take an almond from me and sometimes he acts like he's never seen me before, but I always do my best to spoil him when I see him. This morning he got some of my avocado - shhh, don't tell the others.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to bearmode:

island rehabber (07-19-2018), Mel1959 (07-19-2018)