Thread: Keeping Worms Alive

Default Keeping Worms Alive

We just got our first order of 300 count waxworms from Josh’s Frogs, and 300 count Med/Lg mealworms from Camille’s. I can’t believe the quality from both places... These are fat, healthy worms! Normally I have to open and inspect the little 50 count tubs from the pet stores, and pick the one with the least amount of dead , black wax worms or dried husks in the mealworm containers. Couldn’t be more pleased with both these businesses! They each have a basic care sheets... But I wonder if any here have any secret tips to keeping these things alive as long as possible ? It just seems like , I should feed them something?? Especially the wax worms... They seem to go bad in my fridge (even on lower shelf) before a 50 count run is used up. But maybe it’s because it’s a dorm fridge, and there’s not much distance from the freezer? I could hide them I guess , in our family fridge crisper drawer. And for two Flyers ... Can I feed too many per day? They ( about 10 worms per night) are all gone by morning .

Default Re: Keeping Worms Alive

Glad you got two good products I hope your squirrelies are good at killing them, as those mouth parts can pinch!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (07-12-2018)

Listen, those cute little fur balls are BRUTAL when it comes to eating these things. It truly bothers me lol, to feed anything a “living l” food. Even a dang grub. Hated the bearded dragon phase the kids went through. Powdering live crickets...

Yes, you can feed too many. Worms are very high phosphorus foods. You've probably noticed that some talk about rolling worms in calcium carbonate. Reptile people do this also. Too many worms actually can cause MBD.
    Here is a quote I copied about the calcium: phosphorus ratio of worms.

A healthy balance is a Ca:P of 2:1, 1:1 or at most 1:2. Higher amounts of phosphorus cause problems - mealworms are between 1:7 and 1:11 unless they have been specifically bred and gut fed to increase calcium levels but that doesn't guarantee correct levels once provided as food.Dec 12, 2016
    CALCIUM / PHOSPHORUS RATIO IN FOOD OFFERED TO WILDLIFE
    www.hedgehog-rescue.org.uk › CaP

I have not had any luck keeping WaxWorms alive in the refrigerator. They literally die over night. It's just too cold in the average refrigerator. I have had much better luck storing them in the door of the refrigerator.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Snicker Bar (07-12-2018)

Thank you ,
    I do have the plain calcium carbonate powder from Henry’s, and I lightly dust them. I just thought, ( read somewhere?) that the Flyers HAD to have some sort of insects in their diet everyday. So was thinking I needed a bulk supply to feed /alternate 7 days a week.

Grubworms are a natural food as are insects for flying squirrels, other animals I won't mention are also. Both red squirrels and flyers have a carnivorous bent.

At least soft boiled egg yolk resolves the need for bird eggs for them.

Here is there page on how to care for the Vita Mealies care: https://vita-mealie.weebly.com/care-...lie-order.html

For block diets foods high in phosphorus included in addition have to be limited. For whole food diets that isn't a problem for there is no preset Ca:P ratio, instead you create your own including many source of phosphorus so you can include at least twice as much Calcium much of which will be in the form of calcium powder. Not unusual, as most of the calcium in the wild diet comes from the soil, as does calcium supplement sources also.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (07-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Thank you ,
    I do have the plain calcium carbonate powder from Henry’s, and I lightly dust them. I just thought, ( read somewhere?) that the Flyers HAD to have some sort of insects in their diet everyday. So was thinking I needed a bulk supply to feed /alternate 7 days a week.
    Yes, they do need insects. Also, yes, dusting with calcium does help.
    The calcium gut loaded worms are great.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (07-12-2018), Snicker Bar (07-12-2018)

They also carry a vitamin mineral mix. https://www.henryspets.com/vita-mins/

At 2.7:1 Ca:P it is a good choice as it allows some foods high in phosphorus to be included. Foods high in phosphorus aren't bad per say, just a matter of confirming that you support the whole diet with a positive Ca:P ratio.

When a whole foods diet with a block diet is are both used, adding up the amount of calcium and phosphorus and magnesium is needful to support optimum close ratio of approximately 2:1 to 3;1 for the adults for both (Ca:P). I did this myself in a whole foods diet with no block at all; it just takes some time to do the workup. Clearly block diets are the most convenient.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (07-12-2018)

And if you let any of the mealies turn to beetles you'll never have to order them again! LOL! I had a beardie for years and we did mealies for a while before changing to super worms.

I don't remember if I put my wax worms in the fridge or not. I don't think I did, but I never kept large quantities of those so I fed them all faster. It was always hard for me to feed live insects to Spike too. Especially the horn worms but he loved those so much.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

Snicker Bar (07-13-2018)

I put wax worms in the butter section in the top of the door in the fridge. Mealies go too fast here with teh gliders so they stay out. Ijust started meal worm farming since this batch of worms is turning fast to aliens and now I have about 10 beetles. I want to feed the Blue Birds this Winter hopefully. I have a pair who live here now and have had 2 broods of babies.

What Calcium does everyone use to roll them in.

What is your take on Boo Balls?

Diggie I have never been bit by meal worms only Super Worms have you?

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to BCChins:

Floppysquirrel04 (07-18-2018), Snicker Bar (07-13-2018)

I put the mealworms in one of the plastic baby squirrel tubs , that has mesh for air on the lid and sides. I added a canister of oatmeal, and mixed it with the media they sent. And then added a few Cheerios and couple
    Pieces of potato ... Read this on a meal worm care page , hoe this is ok . And stored at room temp. Then put he waxworms in a slightly bigger plastic bowl. Left lid off, and set the bowl in a small cooler with one ice pack... hope to keep cool but not TOO cold. And cracked lid of cooler to allow air. Read they like cereal dipped in honey.

Thank you for the info on calcium/phosphorus... I guess I hope mine will eat enough block, so I don’t have to retake chemistry lol. It just sounds so complicated.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Floppysquirrel04 (07-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    They also carry a vitamin mineral mix. https://www.henryspets.com/vita-mins/

At 2.7:1 Ca:P it is a good choice as it allows some foods high in phosphorus to be included. Foods high in phosphorus aren't bad per say, just a matter of confirming that you support the whole diet with a positive Ca:P ratio.

When a whole foods diet with a block diet is are both used, adding up the amount of calcium and phosphorus and magnesium is needful to support optimum close ratio of approximately 2:1 to 3;1 for the adults for both (Ca:P). I did this myself in a whole foods diet with no block at all; it just takes some time to do the workup. Clearly block diets are the most convenient.
    Would you mind sharing your whole foods diet?

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ScrappyDo from:

Snicker Bar (07-19-2018)

I would be interested as well; mine are so inconsistent and variations are welcome!

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Diggie's Friend (07-20-2018)