Thread: WHAT FV FORMULA TO FEED A BABY RACCOON ? ?

Default WHAT FV FORMULA TO FEED A BABY RACCOON ? ?

A Momma raccoon and two babies were removed from our attic this morning and released
    'some where' by the property maintenance men. A few moments ago we heard another tiny baby.......
    one they missed, and we feel it is now too late to rejoin this single with the others with the hours
    that have passed and dark only a couple of hours away. { ? ? }

We gave the baby hydration and called a local rehab place, BUT, if we do not hear from them we will need to feed the baby.......
    Do we need to do anything special to the FV we have on hand? Do we need to get a weight and how much to feed and how often? ?
    It's eyes could only have been open a day or a few...... one other litter mates eyes were still half closed.

At present it is wrapped in fleece with a rice buddy { it was screaming until we put those in with it } and it is in a large bucket.
    We know nothing about raccoons.
    Thanks for all advice.

Default Re: WHAT FV FORMULA TO FEED A BABY RACCOON ? ?

I have never raised a raccoon, but I was in Dr. Emerson’s office when she brought two babies into the exam room to show me. They still had umbilical stumps. She fed them from a baby bottle with a regular baby nipple. According to the WMB they drink KMR one part powder to two parts water. They must be stimulated like squirrels. After they ate and were restless and whining she wrapped them in a blanket and placed her hand on top of them. She says the mother will lay on them to keep them quiet.

You should have someone on here help you with the worming medication that you should administer. Dr. E deworms all of her raccoon babies as they can have roundworm. The WMB says to deworm every two weeks until release. It’s also a good idea to vaccinate against rabies.

3 weeks of age is when their eyes open. WMB says to feed 5 times a day. FV makes a special raccoon formula. Their needs are different than squirrels since they can eat KMR (kitten formula) and squirrels can’t. At 5 weeks the book says to offer puppy chow.

I’m sure others with hands on experience will chime in. It would be nice if you could find out where the mom and babies were taken to because they maybe could still be reunited.

Thanks -ALL- for your coon suggestions....
    We found an animal rescue that takes baby raccoons.....and it was picked up at 4, this afternoon.
    I did enjoy our few hours together. I have never handled a small raccoon. Their fur is bristly...not silky like my squees...
    Those tiny--but strong hands could sure hold on tightly.

Name:  coon #3 1560x2080.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  114.6 KBName:  coon 3 -2 1377x1221.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  129.9 KBName:  coon 3-3 1234x1533.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  112.5 KBName:  coon 3-4 1274x1682.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  104.1 KBName:  coon 3-5 1057x1202.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  124.6 KBName:  coon 3-6 rice buddy 2130x1610.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  107.4 KBName:  coon 3-7 1610x2130.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  112.4 KB

Actually it was a baby GIRL raccoon....

https://themonkeyfarm.org/

This is a link to the RESCUE that now has the little girl raccoon....

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stosh2010:

ClemC5 (07-12-2018), island rehabber (07-11-2018)

Great job, you two! Glad the lil one is in experienced hands too....you guys have enough going on without adding a coonie to the family!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

stosh2010 (07-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Great job, you two! Glad the lil one is in experienced hands too....you guys have enough going on without adding a coonie to the family!
    After holding that LITTLE ONE---I considered raising a coonie...(for about 30 seconds)
    Under different conditions it "might have been" an option

I would caution anyone on raising a raccoon, besides the obvious curious (read that as destructive) nature, those things will break your heart. The last two years I raised a orphan each year to release. I do not think I have ever loved a animal as much as I did a raccoon. They are so smart and capable of showing such affection that you get sucked in way to deep for your own good. This year I literally had to turn away raccoons because I was just not ready to do that to myself again. I had no idea how amazing they are until I worked with them. If someone brings you a baby raccoon, just run for your life!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ClemC5 View Post
    I would caution anyone on raising a raccoon, besides the obvious curious (read that as destructive) nature, those things will break your heart. The last two years I raised a orphan each year to release. I do not think I have ever loved a animal as much as I did a raccoon. They are so smart and capable of showing such affection that you get sucked in way to deep for your own good. This year I literally had to turn away raccoons because I was just not ready to do that to myself again. I had no idea how amazing they are until I worked with them. If someone brings you a baby raccoon, just run for your life!
    They are amazing....
    Squirrels GRAB My HEART---the same way...

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stosh2010 from:

ClemC5 (07-13-2018)

Raccoons are so much fun to rehab but I'm never sad when they move out . EVER! Ask SammysMom she hears what is going on in my house from day 1 to move out day.

Just for future reference, they need FV Raccoon Formula, LOL that was easy.

If you don't have that on hand Esbilac or KMR is fine until you do have it. Yes they use a baby bottle and nipples, but the best is the Premie nipples, I get dr. Cooks Premie Nipples 1 and 2. Most times I end up having to put some more holes in the nipple as they like it to come out pretty fast, if they have to suck too hard they get pissy.

if you need help with them, PM me or Anne in Florida.

Do you need help finding a rehabber, if yes what state are you in?

Regards,
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

ClemC5 (07-22-2018)