Thread: Can Squirrels get Distemper?

Default Can Squirrels get Distemper?

Hi guys!
    First I want to say it is so good to be back on the Squirrel Board. I had forgotten my password and didn’t explore resolving the issue for the longest time. If you don’t recognize my name, you might remember my daughter, Thundersquirrel?

Anyway, I’m on tonight to see if you wise people can help me with a squirrel. A rehabber friend who lives about two hours away from me got a squirrel call and had questions I’m not sure about. She said: “I received a call about a squirrel with one eye draining and crusty, he is sneezing a lot, head down, refuses to eat and barely moving. She then asked if they could get colds? Or distemper?

My initial thought would be an injury to the eye or head, if there is infection/mange it could be oozing pus/crusty. Sneezing would possibly be a clearing of pus or mucus from the head injury? Refusing to eat could be it doesn’t feel good. Barely moving could be internal injury or imbalance from a head injury?

What do you guys think. Thank you in advance for brainstorming with me. (:
    Best,
    Squirrelena
    Squirrelena

Default Re: Can Squirrels get Distemper?

Squirrels can get upper respiratory infections. Any possibility of a vet? Just till you can get a vet or meds, a warm mist vaporizer will help him breathe.

Default Re: Can Squirrels get Distemper?

Thank you. I just responded to her and said if I had to make a guess, it would be a respiratory infection. She hasn’t taken the squirrel(s) in yet because she was really concerned about distemper. Great suggestion about the warm mist vaporizer. (My daughter used to take her rats into the bathroom and run a hot shower. I’ll let her know. Thanks, again.
    Squirrelena

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelena from:

SammysMom (07-10-2018)

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

KarmaKay (07-12-2018)