Thread: Lulu might be pregnant

LifeWithLulu Guest

Default Lulu might be pregnant

Hi! My little Lulu had a big adventure day outside and has some punctures under her arms and around her belly that look like she was mounted. She's a NR so I'm stumped what to do about a pregnancy if that is what turns out. Any input welcome. I really don't want a litter of squirrels. Ah!

Default Re: Lulu might be pregnant

As long as she hasn't previously had prior pelvis/hip socket injury that has caused her to be NR, that could result in death due to the pelvis not being able to expand correctly

to give birth according to a veterinarian, and a longtime rehabber, then there shouldn't be an issue on that account. It takes about 45 days for gestation.

There are some contacts in this region that might be able to help with determining if she is pregnant, which would be important to know; for in the case of pregnancy she would then require a significant increase in vitamins and minerals in her diet to support the pregnancy, otherwise she could end up developing MBD due to calcium loss from supporting her young in vivo. There is a chart that notes what this is for rats, and rat diets that are formulated for gestation also.

Here is an old file dated back in the nineties, that includes the data for various Mazuri rodent breeder diets, that may give you an idea what I'm referring to in regards to gestating females requiring higher levels of nutrients to support themselves and their developing young during pregnancy.

Not sure about using the present Mazuri diet, as it is specifically formulated for the needs of rodents used in laboratory research settings, not for pets. it would be good to go online and look into other diets for gestating rodents (rats) to see what is presently available, just incase your girl has become pregnant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LifeWithLulu View Post
    Hi! My little Lulu had a big adventure day outside and has some punctures under her arms and around her belly that look like she was mounted. She's a NR so I'm stumped what to do about a pregnancy if that is what turns out. Any input welcome. I really don't want a litter of squirrels. Ah!
    I’m confused. If she’s a non-release, why was she outside in a setting where she could become impregnated?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m confused. If she’s a non-release, why was she outside in a setting where she could become impregnated?
    exactly what I've been wondering....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Mel1959 (07-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeWithLulu View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, no vet in his/her right mind will do an abortion on a squirrel. This means that if you allowed her, as a non release to become pregnant, then you will have some baby squirrels in about 45 days.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.