Thread: WATERMELON SEEDS ??????

Question WATERMELON SEEDS ??????

I just cut a fresh watermelon in half and took out all the chuncks inside and put them in bowls. Then I usually pour all the juice in a jar, and using a strainer I always strain out the black and white seeds so I can drink the juice.
    I usually would just throw away the seeds but I just wondered if I could get some use out of them by giving them to my Roscoe.
    Fresh or maybe baked?

Please let me know your thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks!

Default Re: WATERMELON SEEDS ??????

As long as the watermelon was raised organic, not conventional with nitrogen fertilizers, nor with pesticides, GMOs, or glycosides, then they should be fine when included occasionally in a small measure.

Citrullus lanatus is a popular fruit in many parts of the world, although the seed is often discarded as waste; it contains various
    phytochemicals [12]. The phytochemical screening carried out on the seed revealed that it contains alkaloid, flavonoid, tannins, saponins,
    steroid and resins. These phytochemicals especially flavonoid and tannins which have anti-oxidant properties have been reported to have
    anti-diarrhoea properties [12].
    A study on the effects of the chemical compounds in watermelon seeds in rats, found that they have anti diarrhea properties.

These seeds also contain phytochemicals: flavonoids, and tannins, that have anti-oxidant properties.

Tannins, which are found in higher amounts in acorns, are a natural 'annual' deworming, 'antiparasitical' source, which knocks down parasitical infestations.

Tannins consumed in higher amounts are known to lower calcium uptake. And since they are alkaline, consuming more than a few can move the urine pH up too high.

For these reasons, limiting these seeds in the diet to about 1/4 Tsp. when fed, is recommended.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

cava (07-07-2018), ClemC5 (07-09-2018), dr3am (10-16-2018), Snicker Bar (07-07-2018)