Thread: Very lethargic small adult squirrel help??

Default Very lethargic small adult squirrel help??

I recently started volunteering at a local wildlife center and yesterday I offered to pick up a sick squirrel and bring him back to the center to get help. I just passed my rehab test but I don't have my official licence in my hand yet so I couldn't take him home with me. I've been so worried all night about him hoping he is ok. The center take in so many animals and a lot of times they euthanize animals that come in like this. I am worried that he might have MBD, I mentioned this to the center but they said "no he doesn't have that.. he would show more signs of malnutrition, like hair loss" ... ugh. I said it won't hurt to give him am extra does of calcium.. they said they would if that's what they determined the problem was. I wish so badly I could take him home and watch him overnight. There is no one at the center overnight to keep an eye on him, I hope he is okay I plan on calling in a little bit this morning to check on him. I picked him up from a woman who said that she found him on her porch and only had him for a couple days, I feel like she had him longer than that and maybe had him on the wrong diet. He was very lethargic and looked like he had a little bit of crustiness in his eyes. Any thoughts on what it could be is it possible that it could be MBD? It took me a half hour to drive back to the center with him,
    He struggles to keep his eyes open and was making a quiet chirping noise almost as if he was crying.. poor guy, I hope he is ok.
    Name:  20180706_174033.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  110.2 KB

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shammie:

BuckysMommy (10-25-2019), Rocky1 (07-07-2018), RockyPops (10-25-2019)

Default Re: Very lethargic small adult squirrel help??

Poor sweetie. I can say most likely it is NOT MBD, as MBD doesn't happen in the wild -- only in very rare cases where a mamma has a huge litter and nursing them depletes her calcium. MBD nearly always happens after people keep squirrels as pets and feed the wrong diet.
    It's impossible to know exactly what is wrong with this little one especially without a thorough exam. He could have been hit by a car.....fallen from a tree....suffering from an upper respiratory problem (the crusty eyes) or even mange among other things, as it starts around the eyes. If you see any white tears he is definitely in pain. Hopefully he slept through the night and is feeling a bit better this morning if they hydrated him.....please keep us posted as to the outcome. Now we're all worried.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

BuckysMommy (10-25-2019), Diggie's Friend (07-07-2018), redwuff (07-07-2018), RockyPops (10-25-2019)

I understand MBD doesn't happen in the wild, thats why I suggested maybe the lady I got him from had him longer then she said she had him. Sometimes people dont tell the full story because they are afraid they might get in trouble since it is illegal to keep squirrels without a license. She was handling him with no gloves, like a pet. He looks to be still young since he is small, mabey a littler from early spring. The center opens soon, I will give them a call in a bit to check on him. Poor baby, I hard a hard time sleeping, I hope they don't just euthanize him without trying everything to help this poor baby.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shammie from:

RockyPops (10-25-2019)

The most important thing is to make sure this little man has been properly hydrated. Let us know what the hydration protocol is at the center. Hydration works wonders and must be done properly before other conditions can be properly assessed. Maybe you can be this guys patient advocate and make sure he is given the best care he can get.

Hope you stay on board TSB. You can learn a lot here.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (10-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    I understand MBD doesn't happen in the wild, thats why I suggested maybe the lady I got him from had him longer then she said she had him. Sometimes people dont tell the full story because they are afraid they might get in trouble since it is illegal to keep squirrels without a license. She was handling him with no gloves, like a pet. He looks to be still young since he is small, mabey a littler from early spring. The center opens soon, I will give them a call in a bit to check on him. Poor baby, I hard a hard time sleeping, I hope they don't just euthanize him without trying everything to help this poor baby.
    This lady could have easily raised this guy from a a small baby. I think you are right on to go down that path. One of the first signs of MBD is lethargy and signs of pain when being handled. Still make sure he is hydrated. Push to at least do an MBD treatment for him if no other glaring symptoms show up. Maybe you could befriend this lady and see if you will give you anymore info.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

10. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Diggie's Friend (07-07-2018), Mialouise (10-25-2019), Rexie (07-08-2018), RockyPops (10-25-2019), Shammie (07-07-2018)

How is this fella?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Shammie (07-07-2018)

I checked in on him and tried to push for MBD treatment but being the new person at the center and only volunteering one day a week, they basically acted like I was stupid for suggesting this I showed them the Henry's Healthy pet emergency MBD treatment site. They said they don't do that type of treatment and if he he was suffering from this then his bones would feel soft. She said this would overload his system with too much calcium and could cause more problems... now I'm confused?? He is doing ok as far as I know, they have given him fluids but he is still weak. They said he has a respiratory infection. What causes respiratory infections in wild squirrels? I'm guessing it can be caused from a number of things?

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but after reading this entire thread, the first thing that comes to my mind is that perhaps a compromise could be made regarding the calcium. For example, maybe the people at the center would be amenable to providing him with some extra calcium even if not the full recommended dose. Would a reduced dose of calcium be better than no extra calcium? Alternatively, even if you cannot bring him home, is there a squirrel-friendly rehabber within a reasonable distance where you can take him, assuming that it would be allowed for you to transport him? Meanwhile, does he have everything he needs, like a heating pad on low under half of his dwelling, plenty of fleece, water, etc.? I wish we weren't limited to licensed rehabbers as I think there was a guy from Maine on here a while back who did a wonderful job raising one of the cutest young squirrels I have ever seen...

FYI - I am not a rehabber myself, just trying to be helpful. Only answer these questions if you feel the answer is worthwhile and not too far off topic.

If he has a respiratory illness he nees to be on Baytril or Clavamox. Praying that the center is giving him either one...
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    If he has a respiratory illness he nees to be on Baytril or Clavamox. Praying that the center is giving him either one...
    I believe so, I didn't ask them what they are treating him with... I didn't want to ask anymore questions.. they really made me feel like I was trying to be a know it all or something when I spoke with them. I'm just worried about him and trying to learn more since I will be licenced to rehab in my home after my inspection this week. Could a severeve respiratory infection cause him to be this lethargic? Were they right about not doing a treatment for MBD? Could giving him the recommended does with Tums on Henry's Healthy Pet cause more damage if he is not deficient in calcium? They said treating for MBD is gradual and won't help to do what this site suggests https://www.henryspets.com/emergency-treatment-for-mbd/ ?

It sounds like they are trying to triage him first to get him stable. If they listened to his lungs or if he had outward signs of respiratory infection it is good that they are treating it (with proper meds) and hydration is usually one of the first things you do for a sick animal that might not be eating/drinking. Proper hydration is a must to metabolize meds and keep the body running appropriately.

Yes wild squirrels can get respiratory infections.

I'm sure they didn't mean they could press on him and feel soft bones (I hope) and an x ray could help determine the status of his bones as well as blood tests.

I hope the little guy responds to the interventions they've come up with. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    Could a severeve respiratory infection cause him to be this lethargic? Were they right about not doing a treatment for MBD?
    Yes, when you cannot breathe you don't want to do much of anything. Unless that woman had him for several months/years, MBD is unlikely.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

cava (07-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    It sounds like they are trying to triage him first to get him stable. If they listened to his lungs or if he had outward signs of respiratory infection it is good that they are treating it (with proper meds) and hydration is usually one of the first things you do for a sick animal that might not be eating/drinking. Proper hydration is a must to metabolize meds and keep the body running appropriately.

Yes wild squirrels can get respiratory infections.

I'm sure they didn't mean they could press on him and feel soft bones (I hope) and an x ray could help determine the status of his bones as well as blood tests.

I hope the little guy responds to the interventions they've come up with. Keep us posted!
    The Medical Clinic Director did say you could press on them and feel the soft bones 😳😟.

When I brought him in last night, the medical clinic director was not in.. he didn't get a diagnosis for the upper respiratory until this afternoon.
    When I brought him in yesterday evening, the clinic manager was the one that told me that it was not MBD because he had no signs of malnutrition, like hair loss. I asked her if there was any other way we can determine he had MBD and she said no... so you can determine this from an x ray or blood test?

Your Message

Yes, mbd can be determined by an x-Ray. You would see thin bone mass instead of healthy white solid bones. I’m not sure why the center is acting the way they are. No, you wouldn’t overload the squirrel on calcium if he was given one or two tums. The e trap calcium is passed in their poop. It looks like a white residue on their poop.

Thank you for trying to help. Continue to be persistent because your knowledge is not wrong. . Ask if they would let you take him home and care for him. You never know what they might agree to to alleviate their load.

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (07-07-2018), Nancy in New York (07-08-2018)

Did this sweetie ever get better?