Thread: Rehabilitated squirrel released but stuck in tree?

Default Rehabilitated squirrel released but stuck in tree?

Hello I'm fairly new to rehabbing and releasing squirrels as in this is my first time. Been rehabbing a brother and sister for last cpl months and have had them outside ready for release. This weekend I figured was gonna be the weekend to try l, go figure they didn't seem to wanna stray far so over night they stayed in their cage and tried again today. Anyway after several hrs of being out the sister ran off up the one pine tree and had been laying on the same branch for the last 4hrs and I'm worried she's stuck and scared to come down and being as high as she is I'm worried she'll either fall asleep and fall down or she's exposed and easy pray. Her brother came back and has been in his nest box. I tried coaxing her down with rodent block and nuts but no good on that idea. Anyone have any suggestions? Will she be alright on her own with no nest made? I left their cage open in case she comes back but I'm worried about doing that because he's in there and worry about prey getting in there. I'm worried for them. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Rehabilitated squirrel released but stuck in tree?

She isn’t stuck, so don’t worry about that. Not sure why she is not moving we were over 100 degrees today in NY are you as hot? That could play a factor. I bet she’s back with her brother by morning.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    She isn’t stuck, so don’t worry about that. Not sure why she is not moving we were over 100 degrees today in NY are you as hot? That could play a factor. I bet she’s back with her brother by morning.
    It was pretty hot about 90. they stayed pretty much in the shade most the day and as the sun was going down behind the trees (around 7) is when she ran for the tree. I hope she's back in there when I wake up. I'm gonna check one last time before bed to see if she's moved from that branch or not. It's hard enough releasing them as you become attached but now worrying about this tonight I'm sure will keep me up.

Last time I check was bout 1.5hr ago and just went outside to check and she's still in the same spot just sitting there.

My first release ever ran to the nearest tree and climbed up and sat there. Wouldn't come down for all the nuts in the world. I watched her sit through rain storms, hunched up, for two days and nights until she decided to run down and back to the release cage and it was like it never happened.

They don't always do what we went when we let the out. Keep an eye on her and let her know there's food and water nearby. You can also place a nut on a branch to entice her to come down. It didn't work for me, but it might work for you.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Nancy in New York (07-02-2018), PennyCash (07-02-2018)

How old are these little ones?
    Do not keep the release cage door open overnight.
    Predators is always a huge concern.
    If she isn't in by dark, they almost never come home
    at night.
    Open it up first thing in the morning.

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Diggie's Friend (07-05-2018), island rehabber (07-02-2018), Mel1959 (07-02-2018), PennyCash (07-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    How old are these little ones?
    Do not keep the release cage door open overnight.
    Predators is always a huge concern.
    If she isn't in by dark, they almost never come home
    at night.
    Open it up first thing in the morning.
    I've had them since late Oct early Nov. I was worried to release too early at the new house because recently moved 2 months ago so I kinda let them settle in here and prepped them for release. I checked when I woke up and she's not back at the release cage and I can't seem to find her in the tree either. I just hope something didn't get her overnight. Last I checked on her was 230am before I went to bed and was still same branch.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lilslmj from:

Nancy in New York (07-02-2018)

One thing I worry about are the owls that I can hear but I don't think they bother them cause theirs a lot of bunny and squirrels in the area. But I still can't help but worry being newly rehabbed.

I have had quite a few new releases spend their first night like that, simply high up in the trees on a branch. If I remember accurately, all of those were back into the release cage by nightfall the following evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I have had quite a few new releases spend their first night like that, simply high up in the trees on a branch. If I remember accurately, all of those were back into the release cage by nightfall the following evening.
    I hope she comes back or that I spot her to know she it's safe. Haven't seen her all day looking in the trees. Her brother hasn't come out of the release cage all day he's been hiding under the straw I think trying to keep cool.

There is a nest high up in the tree that she may be hiding in if it isn't already occupied. Other then that idk where she could be

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lilslmj from:

cava (07-02-2018)

She very well could be. The four I overwintered and released in the spring spent a couple of nights in a nest Basil made the year before and then they moved along and made their own.

Did she come back?
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator