Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blood

Default Re: Blood

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    What kind of info would you need? I provided diet info, pictures, habits, age, weight! Yes and that would be the first thing to do is take him to a vet but not in this state!
    I know you have and all of it looks great. So all we now know is that a squirrel on a good diet had one reported instance of blood coming from the anus, then later stopped eating and wanted to sleep all the time. That just isn't enough info to do anything but make wild guesses. When I say "more info" I mean like bloodwork and x-rays to see if there is something going on in his intestines.

Has he come out yet? Have you tried to offer him anything by hand or even offer water by syringe?

And if you will not provide even a general idea of where you are located there is really no way for anyone to help you with SAFE vet recommendations...

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

cava (06-28-2018), Diggie's Friend (06-28-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I know you have and all of it looks great. So all we now know is that a squirrel on a good diet had one reported instance of blood coming from the anus, then later stopped eating and wanted to sleep all the time. That just isn't enough info to do anything but make wild guesses. When I say "more info" I mean like bloodwork and x-rays to see if there is something going on in his intestines.

Has he come out yet? Have you tried to offer him anything by hand or even offer water by syringe?

And if you will not provide even a general idea of where you are located there is really no way for anyone to help you with SAFE vet recommendations...
    I gave him two slices of avocado and 2 blueberries which he ate, I am trying to keep him away from hard foods, I tried with water he wont take any, He went to bathroom #1&2 although his urine color was darker, like orangy color, he only came out to eat that stuff and back in he went.

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    I gave him two slices of avocado and 2 blueberries which he ate, I am trying to keep him away from hard foods, I tried with water he wont take any, He went to bathroom #1&2 although his urine color was darker, like orangy color, he only came out to eat that stuff and back in he went.
    OK. So he IS going to the bathroom. Next time he comes out, try offering him some water with a little honey added if you have it, or even just enough sugar to make it barely sweet, and try heating it up. Offer it in a spoon or with a syringe.

OK. So he IS going to the bathroom. Next time he comes out, try offering him some water with a little honey added if you have it, or even just enough sugar to make it barely sweet, and try heating it up. Offer it in a spoon or with a syringe.
    I got him to come out of the cube for a few minutes but he's just not up for anything, I did the sugar thing in a spoon and syringe and nothing worked and he just went back in!!!!!!! I just gave him a tiny piece of a walnut halve covered with honey (a little just on the outside) and he ate it, no water yet, he came out to poop but he is doing it strange, he lifts his butt up!!!?!

Does he seem to be straining to poop? How do they look? Soft? Hard? Normal?

He might be, they are larger, not hard, they look soft still have that same liquid they had yesterday

I have always feed him sugar snap beans, never has he dad a problem for years now!!
    Good, just checking. These beans, the pod snap peas, and green peas are exceptions, as they don't contain the toxins other beans do raw, nor cause overgrowth of bacteria that they do even when cooked.

Even so, these sources are higher in bioavailable calcium if boiled, which also makes them easier to digest.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Good, just checking. These beans, the pod snap peas, and green peas are exceptions, as they don't contain the toxins other beans do raw, nor cause overgrowth of bacteria that they do even when cooked.

Even so, these sources are higher in bioavailable calcium if boiled, which also makes them easier to digest.
    Great advice, how do you boil them? and thank you for your input.

Ok so he come out maybe 3 times today for a few minutes and goes back in I think he is straining to poop :-( What should I do in this case to make it easy for him, Iv'e been living on my last nerve for the past 24 hours...

If it's possible he ingested a non-food item it could be causing obstruction. Again, are you willing to post your location so members can instruct you on a safe vet. Most states are illegal yet people find vets willing to help all of the time. I think he should have an x-ray of his abdomen to rule out foreign body if he has had anal bleeding, mucus, lethargy, poor appetite and now not pooping.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Diggie's Friend (06-28-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    If it's possible he ingested a non-food item it could be causing obstruction. Again, are you willing to post your location so members can instruct you on a safe vet. Most states are illegal yet people find vets willing to help all of the time. I think he should have an x-ray of his abdomen to rule out foreign body if he has had anal bleeding, mucus, lethargy, poor appetite and now not pooping.
    Cava I never said he was not pooping, I stated that he is pooping but not as he normally dose! His poop is not hard, looks ok for size I just never seen him lift his behind like that to do so which tells me he might be having difficulties pooping! I did send my location to one of the administrators as I will not post to the general form, not to offend anyone but no need for unnecessary risks for my little one. and I have been giving all updates so I can get the best analysis of what he has going on so I can do some sort of treatment.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamiS from:

cava (06-28-2018)

I just got some organic baby food and also got Fig which I heard is good for the stomach is these cases! I wont give him anything of what I got until I get a yes or no from you guys.

bump......

Update///

Moby is out and about today he is back to his normal habits and lifestyle, I guess he just needed to sleep for 2 days, I gave him some fig last night before I went to bed, not sure if that helped but I am so happy he is back to being healthy and playful.

Thank you all for your help, and would like to thank SophieSquirrel for all the information and support

18. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamiS:

cava (06-29-2018), Diggie's Friend (06-30-2018), island rehabber (06-29-2018), lukaslolamaus (06-29-2018)

Ah, good, you two got together.

You can urge poop along with squirrels the same way you do people - prunes will do it - you want to take a tiny bit of dry prune, mash and chop it into a paste (the skins can be a choking hazard whole, but if you mice everything into goo it is fine). You can spread it on anything he likes - it is really sweet and they often love it. A teeny bit and then wait and see what happens that day - if you think he needs more, give him some the next day. You don't want to give him the runs, so a little bit at a time!

Prune baby food may do it too.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RamiS (06-29-2018)

I would add organic baked butternut, or acorn squash to his diet daily; this helps keep the bowels working well and doesn't negatively impact the Calcium to phosphorus ratio in the diet. Organic plain lowfat "Green Valley" yogurt, or Stonyfield organic creamy lowfat plain yogurt are good choices, they are positive in calcium to phosphorus ratio, and have the added benefit of providing probiotics, while low in sugar content (natural sourced), and fat.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RamiS (06-30-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123