Thread: not sure where to release

Default not sure where to release

Hey all.. the squirrels are 12 weeks now, so it'll be time to start preparing them for release fairly soon (in about a month?) and unfortunately I don't think the front yard will work anymore... a couple weeks ago a family moved in across the street with four outdoor cats. They're all outgoing/friendly and love hanging out in our yard; one even ran inside when I opened the door the other day (gave my indoor cats a panic attack!)
    All this to say, I'm sure if I put the cage outside they would be climbing on it, trying to get inside, terrifying the little guys, not to mention probably hunting them after release.

I've been trying to find another place but not had a lot of luck. I have a few friends who might be willing to host them, but none of their yards are any better suited. There's a park a few blocks from our house that's full of squirrels, but it's also full of dogs and cars.
    There are a few trails that I use for hiking/biking etc. in rural/backwoods areas outside of town, specifically one wooded area near a lake, that might work. It's maybe roughly 7 square miles, there are loads of trees/foliage and a running stream, no cats obviously.. however there are other predators (foxes/coons/hawks), and hunting is allowed on certain parts of the property. I guess the more you get away from one threat the more prevalent another is

But what I'm most worried about is releasing them in a public place at all, because I wouldn't be able to set the cage up, so I'd have to just let them go, and they may not stick around or come back when I go to feed them. Plus it just seems like a lot all at once when they've never even been outside, I don't know, I don't feel great about it.
    I don't know if there's anything like a "squirrel refuge" or maybe a rehabber out there with a safe yard with room for 3? but I'd so much rather be able to take them somewhere they could have a "soft release" and be watched over. If you guys know of anything, close states are MT/SD/MN but I think I could swing a road trip too if there was a place for them.
    Or if you have any other advice that would be great too. I've been pretty worried about this lately. They're so sweet and I feel responsible for their well being in life. When I think of them being frightened/confused and alone out there I just want to keep them tucked away upstairs forever. I definitely don't have the emotional fortitude for this kind of thing lol

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to hoda:

cava (06-25-2018), squirrelgirl30 (06-26-2018)

Default Re: not sure where to release

Wanted to add, they're doing really well still growing, even outgrowing their cage I think.. I try to make sure they get a few hours to run around outside of it, they have a ton of energy. I have the cage by an open window so they can hear the birds/other squirrels/etc., and when they're out they seem to like hanging out on the windowsill and watching the other wildlife in the tree by the window.
    They're still eating the Teklad and Henry's blocks, mixed veggies, and some fruit occasionally. And they still drink formula twice day. I don't understand how often/how much to give nuts, so I've just been avoiding them

I could really use some recommendations for chew toys, they're big chewers. They have a femur bone and one of those branches that attach to the cage (for birds I think?) but they need more. So far they've taken chunks out of the dresser, a picture frame on the wall, my phone case, several water bottles (finally learned to put those away when I let them out!) the trim around the window, their cage trays, my fingernails lol - they even chew on the walls(?!) so any advice on that is appreciated
    Here are some recent pics
    Link
    Link
    Link
    Link
    Link
    Link
    Link
    Link

Also I forgot to say thanks for any advice! You lot are amazing, don't know what I'd have done without all the help I've gotten here!

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to hoda:

cava (06-25-2018), redwuff (06-25-2018), stepnstone (06-25-2018)

The babies look wonderful. Good job momma! Let's see what we can think up!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    The babies look wonderful. Good job momma! Let's see what we can think up!
    Thanks so much!

For chewing: untreated wood to tear up, deer/elk antlers, cuttle bone, cardboard box, hanging toys made for birds to chew and twigs/branches cut from safe trees (listed on the healthy foods hand out).

I agree, they look wonderful. Great job!

You still have some time before release. Consider making a post asking for help releasing three and name your location. You might find someone on the board within a couple of hours of you who has the set up and is willing to host them.

Letting them go outside with no release cage time is called a hard release and I would never do that to squirrels. See if you can find a sanctuary or a friend who will let you build a release cage on their property. Is that at all possible? We have instructions for an 8x8 cage if you can build it. If you can’t, IMO, releasing from your house is a better option even with the cats than a hard release.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator