Thread: Please Help Me

VillaBoo45 Guest

Exclamation Please Help Me

I have an adult squirrel in a cat crate right now. I have never been in this situation before. Squirrel is injured with possible head swelling, blood from nose and one ear. Squirrel is having a hard time breathing, I believe google called is aspirating? He may have pneumonia, it has been raining and storming harshly these past few days. Squirrel has been with me a couple hours but could not get him to a rehab place in time. Is there anything I can do? I'm in tears because I can't stand the though of him feeling like he can't breathe, but I can't get him professional help for a couple more hours. I was driving in the rain when he crossed the road in front of my car, he was not hit but I noticed his injuries right away.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to VillaBoo45 from:

SophieSquirrel (06-23-2018)

VillaBoo45 Guest

Default Re: Please Help Me

I've given him fresh water, and I made one of those rice heating things too. He has pooped and dipped his paws into the water while rubbing at his face since he's been in my home. Any help at all is welcome, or a prognosis. I can't sleep because I'm too worried about him.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to VillaBoo45 from:

Thanks for helping him VillaBoo45.
    It's hard to say what's going on with this guy but offering shelter was the best thing you could ever do. He would have died on the road without your intervention.
    It's possible he was hit by another car. Only time will determine if he will survive.
    The main thing he needs is hydration. Here is a recipe for homemade hydration fluid. They usually readily take it. If you have Pedialyte you could also use that. I would offer it with a syringe or something similar. Be very careful. Even an injured squirrel will bite you like you can't even imagine.

Homemade Rehydration Fluid
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons sugar or apple juice
    2 cups warm water
    Store in refrigerator. Discard after 24 hours.

Treating for shock is the first order. (Dark, warm and quiet)

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (06-23-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-23-2018)

Agree -- Dark, Warm and Quiet is most important now. Do you know of a wildlife rehabber or facility that truly treats wildlife near you? We will help you find one if not. The blood from nose and ear does signify a trauma to that side of the head and if there is swelling a vet or rehabber can administer something like prednisone to alleviate it. What part of Indiana are you in? Are you anywhere close to Princeton, Illinois?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (06-23-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-23-2018)

I have several rehabbers and vets in Indiana that will help. What part of the state are you in?

VillaBoo45 Guest

THank you all for your replies, I am in Kokomo Indiana. The great news is that the squirrel made it through the night and I am about to take him to the providence rehab center in Westfield. Its a little drive, but I think that would be better than an exotic vet that's closer. Thank you all for your help, I post an update when I hear anything!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to VillaBoo45 from:

Quote Originally Posted by VillaBoo45 View Post
    THank you all for your replies, I am in Kokomo Indiana. The great news is that the squirrel made it through the night and I am about to take him to the providence rehab center in Westfield. Its a little drive, but I think that would be better than an exotic vet that's closer. Thank you all for your help, I post an update when I hear anything!

Just know that most likely a wildlife place will just euthanize.
    They don't have the time or staff to help a squirrel that's injured.
    We see it ALL the time on the board.
    If you have a safe exotics vet, that would be my choice if you are up to helping him heal.
    SophieSquirrel mentioned he knows of rehabbers and vets that can help.
    Reach out to him via pm and see if he has anyone close to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    I have several rehabbers and vets in Indiana that will help. What part of the state are you in?

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

If you can come North on 31 from Kokomo I can meet you in La Paz, Indiana. I am coming from Michigan. I have a vet that will not euthanize unless absolutely necessary to prevent suffering. Just took a para girl there and she did an EXCELLENT job of treating.

15. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

cava (06-23-2018), Diggie's Friend (06-23-2018), Nancy in New York (06-23-2018), redwuff (06-23-2018)

VillaBoo45 Guest

The squirrel showed a lot energy while I was with him today and all the swelling and bleeding had stopped. The woman at Providence told me that she believed the squirrel would make a full recovery, but I'm going to call again Monday to check up on the fellah. Again, thank you everyone. If this ever happens again (seems more than likely it will, living in Indiana) I know I can come here to get help and I really appreciate it.

17. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to VillaBoo45:

cava (06-24-2018), HRT4SQRLS (06-24-2018), Nancy in New York (06-23-2018), SammysMom (06-23-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-23-2018), stepnstone (06-24-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.