Thread: 4.5 week old Fox Squirrel (Carle) has swollen joints

Clark2390 Guest

Default 4.5 week old Fox Squirrel (Carle) has swollen joints

I've read a lot of old posts and it seems to be a common issue. I have had him since he was a couple days old and a couple days ago his rear legs were very swollen. He is eating esbilac puppy formula with added heavy whipping cream. I also give him oralcal and he has a UV light to help with Vit-d. His legs are not swollen anymore but he won't use them, now his shoulders are very swollen. At first before the swelling started he was lethargic and had no appetite. He also had diarrhea. I got that under control and his appetite is really good but he can't really move much. I have infant ibuprofen and I may have clavamox. I am going to weigh him in a min. ANY SUGGESTIONS.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Clark2390 from:

SophieSquirrel (06-23-2018)

Clark2390 Guest

Default Re: 4.5 week old Fox Squirrel (Carle) has swollen joints

I have clavamox but they are left over from a dog and they are Amoxicillin/clavulanate 875 mg / 125 mg*tablets. Carle weighs 48 grams. Can someone help with dosing for this and infant ibprofen ?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Clark2390 from:

SophieSquirrel (06-23-2018)

Are you sure your baby is 48g. That is very tiny for a foxer baby. A grey squirrel should weigh 80-120g at 4 wks and foxers are bigger than greys. Would you post a picture of your baby. Something sounds very wrong.

Are you using this Esbilac to feed? This is powdered Esbilac. canned liquid esbilac does not have enough nutrition and will kill a baby squirrel.

Name:  IMG_4597.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  157.8 KB
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

SophieSquirrel (06-23-2018), UDoWhat (06-23-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Clark2390 View Post
    I have clavamox but they are left over from a dog and they are Amoxicillin/clavulanate 875 mg / 125 mg*tablets. Carle weighs 48 grams. Can someone help with dosing for this and infant ibprofen ?
    We need to figure out what is going on with your baby before we dose any meds.

Can you give more information on how much you feed and how often and is it powdered Esbilac as pictured above. At 48g your baby is at least 100 g underweight.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

cava (06-23-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-23-2018), UDoWhat (06-23-2018)

Is the OralCal that you're using OralCal Plus (+)?

I would discontinue OralCal AND the UV light. Your baby is probably absorbing TOO much calcium. If you are using the OralCal +, it has Vit D in it. This is increasing calcium absorption as will the naturally produced Vitamin D from the UV light exposure.
    Babies on proper formula don't need supplementation with calcium or Vitamin D. They also don't need UV light. This is the first thing I would change. There might be other issues but I would change this now.

10. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (06-23-2018), island rehabber (06-23-2018), Nancy in New York (06-23-2018), redwuff (06-23-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-23-2018)

100% agree with HRT4SQRLS: discontinue the OralCal and light. While a baby is on formula -- and Esbilac is the correct formula -- they do NOT need supplementation of calcium. Babies on formula do not get MBD.

I am also concerned with this baby's size...can you post a pic of him?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (06-23-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-23-2018)

You haven't by any chance continued giving him additional hydration via pedialyte have you? It is meant for use for really no more than 24 hours - using it longer has resulted in this before due to the sodium.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

cava (06-23-2018), Nancy in New York (06-23-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-23-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.