Thread: Help with agitated squirrel

mvogt Guest

Exclamation Help with agitated squirrel

I am starting to have the same problem with my squirrel Charlie, he will be fine and happy running around in the house, then when I get ready for work he will start pacing by the window. I went go put him back in his cage before work and he bit my thumb and chattered his teeth and continued to jump on me and chatter his teeth in my ear, so i got a blanket and gently put him back in his cage. Im at a loss what to do. We have a lot of animals around the house and i know i would be setting him up for failure if we were to release him. I just would like some advice on what to do. He is a 3 month old grey squirrel.

Default Re: Help with agitated squirrel

Looks like your baby wants a bigger world. Maybe one with trees. Anybody nearby who can release your boy?

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

gunpackingrandma (06-20-2018), stosh2010 (06-20-2018), WilliamH4 (06-20-2018)

mvogt Guest

We tried once and he kept coming back and wasn't quite sure what to do

If he is 3 months old (12 weeks) he is too young for release. So, if you tried releasing earlier he was definitely too young. Give him 4 more weeks and he should be ready to go. If he is getting aggressive I would limit out of cage time.

What type of other animals.? I guess these are animals in the yard.

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (06-20-2018), gunpackingrandma (06-20-2018), Nancy in New York (06-21-2018), squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018)

Maybe he's finally ready this time. I'm certainly no expert as many on here are, but if he was pacing across the window, sounds like he wants to go out.

Just saw he's only 3 months old. That is young.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to WilliamH4 from:

SophieSquirrel (06-20-2018)

mvogt Guest

We live out in the middle of the woods and there a lot of hawks and predators it makes me worry. We don't see a lot of squirrels around so we were really surprised when we found him in the yard. About how many hours a day do u think I should be letting him out of his cage? and when he is out and not being a brat he plays with me and cuddles me as well. Im just at a loss. And what does it mean when he starts chattering his teeth?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mvogt from:

SophieSquirrel (06-20-2018)

Teeth chattering is almost always an aggressive gesture. They are in attack mode. BEWARE of a chattering teeth.... tail flicking squirrel.

At 12 weeks you should be able to 'play' with him for a few hours if you desire to.
    Often rehabbers don't allow out of cage time after a point because they get the 'crazys' and can be quite destructive. I overwintered ONE and before spring release she would KILL me with her claws. She wasn't being mean she was just SO excited she couldn't contain herself. In the process, she ripped me to shreds. I had to stop letting her out to save myself.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (06-21-2018), island rehabber (06-21-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-20-2018), squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018)

As far as hawks, it's a problem we all wrestle with. They are literally everywhere.
    Unfortunately, it's part of their world and I hate that part. 😔

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (06-21-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-20-2018), squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by mvogt View Post
    I am starting to have the same problem with my squirrel Charlie, he will be fine and happy running around in the house, then when I get ready for work he will start pacing by the window. I went go put him back in his cage before work and he bit my thumb and chattered his teeth and continued to jump on me and chatter his teeth in my ear, so i got a blanket and gently put him back in his cage. Im at a loss what to do. We have a lot of animals around the house and i know i would be setting him up for failure if we were to release him. I just would like some advice on what to do. He is a 3 month old grey squirrel.
    I once had a squirrel that did not like my after I had a shower. No smelly soaps, lotions or otherwise. Natural squirrel lady smell only! Lol! Not sure if that is the issue, but it may give you an idea of what is going on.

16. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sqrlnut:

gunpackingrandma (06-20-2018), HRT4SQRLS (06-20-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-20-2018)

Thank you sqrlnut,
    You're absolutely right. A squirrel will attack if you don't smell right. They go nuts of over the 'just out of the shower' smell.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

SophieSquirrel (06-20-2018), sqrlnut (06-20-2018), squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018)

mvogt Guest

Thanks so much!!!! Yeah I think I put some body spray on and let him climb around the house while I did the dishes and had dawn dish soap on my hands. So i will avoid handling him if that is the case.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to mvogt:

SophieSquirrel (06-20-2018), sqrlnut (06-20-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by mvogt View Post
    We live out in the middle of the woods and there a lot of hawks and predators it makes me worry. We don't see a lot of squirrels around so we were really surprised when we found him in the yard. About how many hours a day do u think I should be letting him out of his cage? and when he is out and not being a brat he plays with me and cuddles me as well. Im just at a loss. And what does it mean when he starts chattering his teeth?
    Teeth chattering is fear or agitation. He needs to get out and have interaction with you. At this age you need to quickly establish dominance. When he bites gently flip him on his back and give him a loud resounding "NO". It has to be an instant reaction to the nip or bite or it is not effective. Out of cage time needs to be supervised. This is the squirrel equivalent of the terrible twos and you need to clearly show you are the Alpha and do not act frightened of him. Bites are going to happen. I have 7+ and only get bitten when I violate one of the food defense rules.

Do you use this diet? https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

sqrlnut (06-20-2018), squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018), UwantSomaThis (11-17-2018)

I fixed the "fresh out of shower issue" with my NR, I take her in the bathroom and shut the door so she has to hang out with me when I take a shower in the mornings and get ready. She watches and smells the whole process and now seems to understand we silly humans change our scent for no good reason daily. She seems to enjoy the time and never has gotten aggressive with me again for a change of smell.

24. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ClemC5:

cava (06-21-2018), island rehabber (06-21-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-21-2018), sqrlnut (06-21-2018)

Once you learn a squirrels body language and how to interact you can have a loving member of the family. Every squirrel is different. Here is my sweet Kami snuggling on the pillow while I watch TV. After she hit adulthood a lot of the baby energy went away and she is a pure joy. My Winston a melanistic boy is the same way.

Kami enjoying a cuddle

Name:  DSC02464.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  DSC02338.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  57.1 KB

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

ClemC5 (06-25-2018)

I recommend having a small air-horn on hand that you can get at a home supply store. Just hold it line of sight within 20 ft. and they will leave.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

ClemC5 (06-25-2018)

If he is a healthy squirrel he really should be released. It is not right or fair to keep him as a pet. I agree with the others who feel your first release was done too early. Do what I do, open a window and run a board from it to the ground. Window closest to trees is the best one to use. Or build a cat door for him to come and go. If you do a soft release, he can come and go as he pleases.

This is so much more fun, plus they come back all the time to get food and a kiss

Yes predators are no fun for us squirrel lovers but it is part and parcel of loving squirrels. Plus this will open your door to more squirrels in need Once you start down this road, they will know and next thing you know more squirrels show up to be healed by you.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

mvogt Guest

Okay thanks so much

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.