Thread: Beyond the Herny's Diet

Default Beyond the Herny's Diet

Hopefully we all follow the Henry's Healthy Diet for our captives and NR's. There is more to squirrel nutrition than the triangle. We owe it to our little ones to supplement as many natural wild foods as possible. One of my favorite foods for my NR's is finally here - It's Mulberry time! These fruits are high in antioxidants and immune system function support. Gather when dark purple, rinse thoroughly and feed to your squirrels.

Mulberries I gathered today

Name:  DSC02437.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  59.2 KB

What the leaf and fruit looks like

Name:  Mulberry.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  41.1 KB

And a wild attacking the fruit

Name:  Wild.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  28.3 KB

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

cava (06-17-2018), ClemC5 (06-18-2018), Snicker Bar (06-17-2018), sqrlnut (06-17-2018)

Default Re: Beyond the Herny's Diet

Where can I get them if not from the wild? Do you think local groceries would have them in their produce dept? Would that be ok for my Tazzy?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sqrlnut from:

SophieSquirrel (06-17-2018)

They are good for Taz but I have never seen them in a grocery store. Below is a link showing maps where the trees grow. You have to get our look for one - one clue is dark stains on the ground under a tree. They are everywhere in PA.

All about Mulberries: http://wildfoodshomegarden.com/Mulberry.html

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

sqrlnut (06-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    They are good for Taz but I have never seen them in a grocery store. Below is a link showing maps where the trees grow. You have to get our look for one - one clue is dark stains on the ground under a tree. They are everywhere in PA.

All about Mulberries: http://wildfoodshomegarden.com/Mulberry.html
    Thank you very much

Mulberries are high in anti-oxidants (polyphenols), very healthy; they also high in oxalic acid which bonds with calcium carbonate in the intestines reforming into the insoluble form of Calcium oxalate.

In rats and tree squirrels this compound absorbs well into the bloodstream, unlike in most humans where most of it is lost with the stool.

For this reason it might contribute to CaOx bladder or kidney stones.

This berry is best fed when ripe be it organic, or wild sourced, and no more than one a week.

Be sure to include the Pet Flora that lends more support to the degrading of oxalates in the intestines, which results in more bioavailable calcium from berries.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Floppysquirrel04 (06-19-2018), Snicker Bar (06-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-19-2018)