Thread: Squirrel With No Fur On Tail

Default Squirrel With No Fur On Tail

Hi everyone!

We have a squirrel in the backyard who moves along just fine, does its squirrely things, and definitely alerts nearby squirrels of a "predator" AKA, us.

However, its tail, while a full tail, has no fur. It flicks and curls, but has no fur? Any ideas what's wrong or what can be done?

I call it Ratigan, from The Great Mouse Detective. We have another squirrel in the yard that I can Nubs, because it has just a nub of a tail left (cat or fight?). So given the two different tails, I hesitate to think it's the same issue, but I really don't know.

~Lulu-Bean's Mommy

Default Re: Squirrel With No Fur On Tail

Squirrels can lose their fur on their tail during molt, due to disease, due to a scrap with another squirrel, etc. It may grow back, I imagine closer to the fall when the fur grows a denser winter coat.

He is fine without the fur, just like the tailless one is managing, and he looks well fed and gets around normally.

Thanks for caring.

Default Re: Squirrel With No Fur On Tail

Thank you, cava!

Good to know, and a relief. I'll keep watching both Ratigan and Nubs to make sure they'll be okay for the fall/winter. We think we know which nest is Ratigan's

Name:  20180617_083814.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  112.2 KBName:  20180617_083719.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  131.3 KB

~Lulu-Bean's Mommy

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lulu-Bean's Mommy:

cava (06-17-2018), ClemC5 (06-18-2018)