Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help! Pet squirrel not doing well!!!

Default Re: Help! Pet squirrel not doing well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hwood View Post
    Just gave him some jam and he slipped away from his cage opening and climbed his cage when I tried to put him away. He is climbing around his cage, sitting up, cleaning himself where i've gotten the calcium mixture/infant ibuprofen/jam on his fur. His eyes appear more alert and aware. He weighs 649 grams.

He still seems lethargic, but less so.
    If the protocol is all you've done it may be baby steps but sounds like it's making a difference.
    Have you given anything for pain? Pain management promotes healing and can lead to more
    rapid recovery.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

SophieSquirrel (06-12-2018)

I don't know how to gauge how much that means he didn't get. My vet that will see wildlife is not on call tonight, so I have no choice but to wait until tomorrow for meds.
    Just wondering how your little one is this morning.
    If you have a vet that will see wildlife can you get him in to see him?
    We are only doing "educated" guess work here, but if you have vet access, that's the
    way to go.
    Please keep us posted on your "baby".

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (06-12-2018), redwuff (06-12-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-12-2018), stepnstone (06-12-2018)

See if this helps you hwood.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Good morning! Rocket is still with me this morning, and for that I am grateful. NancyinNewYork - I am fortunate to have a vet that will listen to me - he will get me medications under the guise that they are for one of my domesticated animals... I am so thankful he will do that, but he will not see them, and truthfully wouldn't know anymore than you all I don't believe lol. He is just a good guy that my family has known for many years and will help in ways he can. Stepnstone - I have been giving infant ibuprofen based off of a dosing guide I found here on TSB in another post. I would really appreciate if someone could verify how much I should give him though. He weighs 649 grams. His tail is curled and he is moving much better this morning. He is pancaking, sitting up on his back legs, and holding his head up more. Thank you all for your help so far.

8. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to hwood:

Jen413 (06-12-2018), Mel1959 (06-12-2018), Nancy in New York (06-12-2018), redwuff (06-12-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-12-2018), stepnstone (06-12-2018)

Good morning! Rocket is still with me this morning, and for that I am grateful. NancyinNewYork - I am fortunate to have a vet that will listen to me - he will get me medications under the guise that they are for one of my domesticated animals... I am so thankful he will do that, but he will not see them, and truthfully wouldn't know anymore than you all I don't believe lol. He is just a good guy that my family has known for many years and will help in ways he can. Stepnstone - I have been giving infant ibuprofen based off of a dosing guide I found here on TSB in another post. I would really appreciate if someone could verify how much I should give him though. He weighs 649 grams. His tail is curled and he is moving much better this morning. He is pancaking, sitting up on his back legs, and holding his head up more. Thank you all for your help so far.

Make sure the infant ibuprofen is 50 mg/1.25 ml strength.
    For Rocket who weighs 649 grams the dose is 0.16
    This can be given every 4 hours for pain, but try not to dose for
    more than 2-3 days.
    Always keep him well hydrated as this can be hard on their kidneys.

As far as meds go, I have no idea what is suspected that Rocket may
    have, so I'm unsure as to what he should be given and for what.

Personally at this point, and with the improvement you are seeing,
    I would hold off on additional meds.

This is a very encouraging update. Keep up the good work and the MBD protocol.

Forgot to mention. You are very fortunate to have a vet that will give you meds
    if needed.

Edit: Unless you see that he is in extreme pain, ears back, hunched with head down, "white tears" etc.
    I would not give infant ibuprofen more than a couple of times, ONLY if absolutely necessary.
    It's VERY hard on the kidneys.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 06-12-2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Added info.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (06-12-2018), Mel1959 (06-12-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    This is a very encouraging update. Keep up the good work and the MBD protocol.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (06-12-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Second on that!

No more honey nut cheerios, tortilla chips, pretzels, or granola bars. Even if it wasn't MBD foods like that will put him on a fast track to developing it.

Stick to the Henry's diet to the letter: https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

island rehabber (06-12-2018)

Rocket sounds good this morning. How has today gone?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Hi all! I have continued the MBD protocol and ordered the Henry's MBD kit. I have stopped the ibuprofen since he seems to feel better, and he still seems to be improving. He is actually acting ALMOST like his normal self!! He is climbing, eating broccoli, cleaning himself, and loving all the pets and attention. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Henry's kit. I cannot thank you all enough for the help you've given! Hopefully these 'picky' blocks will make life easier for myself and Rocket.

18. 9 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to hwood:

Diggie's Friend (06-13-2018), Grinderhead (06-12-2018), gunpackingrandma (06-15-2018), Mel1959 (06-12-2018), Nancy in New York (06-12-2018), redwuff (06-12-2018), SammysMom (06-12-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-12-2018), stepnstone (06-12-2018)

What a relief!

Please stay with TSB and let us help you get Rocket on his healthy path.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

20. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Chickenlegs (06-13-2018), Grinderhead (06-12-2018), gunpackingrandma (06-15-2018), hwood (06-13-2018), island rehabber (06-12-2018), Mel1959 (06-12-2018), stepnstone (06-12-2018)

Hi all! I have continued the MBD protocol and ordered the Henry's MBD kit. I have stopped the ibuprofen since he seems to feel better, and he still seems to be improving. He is actually acting ALMOST like his normal self!! He is climbing, eating broccoli, cleaning himself, and loving all the pets and attention. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Henry's kit. I cannot thank you all enough for the help you've given! Hopefully these 'picky' blocks will make life easier for myself and Rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Please stay with TSB and let us help you get Rocket on his healthy path.
    So good to read your getting Rocket turned around, ....now you know.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

22. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Chickenlegs (06-13-2018), gunpackingrandma (06-15-2018), hwood (06-13-2018), island rehabber (06-13-2018), Mel1959 (06-12-2018), SammysMom (06-13-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-13-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123