Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed!!!

Default Re: Advice needed!!!

I just want to tell everyone thank you.TSB is awesome and everyone has been so helpful.Its awesome to see all of y'all pull together to help a furr friend. I have done a lot of rescue work in my day and a lot times its more fighting and less bout the furr babies.I want the absolute best for this guy God put him in my life to help in anyway that I can. A big thank you for helping me and anything I can do to help back I will.

Thanks for helping this poor guy.
    Check the wound on the shoulder closely for fly eggs. I 'think' I see a small fly larvae on the wound when I enlarge it on my iPad. If it is indeed a fly larvae you need to dose him with Capstar.

I see something suspicious on the close up of the wound towards the bottom on the left. This is the pic with the white and yellow towel covering his head.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

redwuff (06-10-2018)

I concur with Hrt. It looks like there could be fly eggs by the shoulder. Did you get a chance to look? If you find any you can use tape and a flea comb to get them out. He needs to be thoroughly checked. Do you have any capstar?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

I re-read your thread. A couple of folks have offered to help you find a vet and asked where you are located in GA. I didn’t read where you had responded or answered their question. Since you said you have tramadol and Clindamycin, have either of these been dosed for him? I think this guy should get to a vet and get started on some meds. If you can’t find any prednisone I will send you some if you pm me your address. Prednisone may make all the difference in his ability to recover. He should be on some type of anti-inflammatory. IMO

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (06-10-2018), island rehabber (06-11-2018), redwuff (06-10-2018)

Mel, he has been dosed and given tramadol. That's all as far as I know. Would love to see pred given and an X-ray taken.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (06-10-2018)

We may be too far away, but would gladly donate an x day for you . We are in NE MS. But it sounds like since you are seeing some leg movement and bladder control, the spinal cord could still be intact. At least up to the base of the tail. If he has deep pain ( if he actually feels , not to be mistaken for reflex movements ) when you firmly (wear gloves!) pinch a paw with a hemostat , then the cord isn’t severed. Hopefully it’s just bruised or inflamed, and will heal in time .

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

HRT4SQRLS (06-11-2018), Mel1959 (06-11-2018), Nancy in New York (06-11-2018), redwuff (06-11-2018)

Ive been working with some help out of ga to get a vet asap hopefully today .it was pieces of towel in the pictures when I found him he didn't have any flies or any open wounds..I have been giving tramadol but held off on antibiotics since we might be able to get him in to a vet..he is eating more and seems to be feeling some better.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Caringheart:

HRT4SQRLS (06-11-2018), Mel1959 (06-11-2018), Nancy in New York (06-11-2018), redwuff (06-11-2018)

Did you find a "safe" vet?

We got a vet so Arlo and me are going to take a trip together thank you everyone.prayers for Arlo I don't have a lot but I will give what I got to help him fingers crossed he will be okay. Special thanks to ga squirrel.

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Caringheart:

cava (06-11-2018), island rehabber (06-11-2018), Nancy in New York (06-11-2018)

What did the vet find out about Arlo?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Arlo got meds the vet feels like with some time maybe he will make a full recovery he had deep pain response we just got home long trip with rain and traffic. They felt an x ray wasn't needed now but if he isn't better next Monday we will go back for one.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Caringheart:

Mel1959 (06-11-2018), Nancy in New York (06-11-2018), Snicker Bar (06-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Caringheart View Post
    Arlo got meds the vet feels like with some time maybe he will make a full recovery he had deep pain response we just got home long trip with rain and traffic. They felt an x ray wasn't needed now but if he isn't better next Monday we will go back for one.
    Thank you for coming back on to let us know how everything went.
    Now you and Arlo, go get some rest. It's been a long day.

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (06-11-2018), Snicker Bar (06-12-2018), Spanky (06-11-2018)

(CH, I hope you do not mind but I am going to fill in more info here since we have tons of experienced folks helping in Arlo's thread).

Arlo received an injection of dexamethasone and was also placed on Baytril. Wait a few days a reassess.

I am preparing a care package to mail out tomorrow: Pred, Gabapentin, Capstar, FV 20/50 (Arlo readily takes water from a syringe, so we’ll try some formula?), HHB’s. Let me know if there are suggestions for anything else I have not considered and I can include.

How strongly do folks feel about also giving a dose of Capstar? I don't think this was mentioned to the vet and the vet did not apparently see a need to recommend such treatment, but we know Capstar to be a relatively "safe" medication.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (06-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

How strongly do folks feel about also giving a dose of Capstar? I don't think this was mentioned to the vet and the vet did not apparently see a need to recommend such treatment, but we know Capstar to be a relatively "safe" medication.
    Just to be on the safe side I would Google every med Arlo is being given against contraindications to Capstar. It is probably fine, but just in case.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Spanky (06-11-2018)

Wow!!! what a difference the meds have made this morning Arlo was out of his house waiting on me (breakfast). He is more active and fussing at me the way he should.so happy to see him acting like a wild squirrel gives me hope that he can soon go get his own pine cones again. He didn't like the baytril can't blame him.I was thinking maybe a little honey on the end of the syringe to help.Any advice on that??

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Caringheart:

Jen413 (06-12-2018), lennysmom (06-13-2018)

So glad to hear he is doing better! Honey on the tip might get him to like the tip but he still won't like the contents. Are you giving it once or twice a day? With a big boy like him, I would gently pick him up in a piece of fleece and just get it in him. Maybe others have more creative ways to do it.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Wow!!! what a difference the meds have made this morning Arlo was out of his house waiting on me (breakfast). He is more active and fussing at me the way he should.so happy to see him acting like a wild squirrel gives me hope that he can soon go get his own pine cones again. He didn't like the baytril can't blame him.I was thinking maybe a little honey on the end of the syringe to help.Any advice on that??
    What a wonderful update.
    Is this Baytril from the vet, and is it in suspension. I'm guessing so.
    If honey on the tip doesn't work........
    put the correct amount of Baytril in the grooves of an out of the shell pecan. Let it dry.
    You can actually make these all up ahead of time.
    How many days is he on the Baytril?
    This is the way I always dose outdoor squirrels and it never fails, give it a try.
    Thanks for the great update!

He has to take it once a day. It could be his feeling better and just done with me lol. He spit some out but he got most..I gave water afterwards and he drank.

Thank you that's a perfect idea! He gave me 10 days worth 1cc/day. I will fix him one for tomorrow and let you know in the morning.

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Caringheart from:

Nancy in New York (06-12-2018)

Thank you that's a perfect idea! He gave me 10 days worth 1cc/day. I will fix him one for tomorrow and let you know in the morning.
    Just double check that dosing.
    1 cc is "off the charts" for dosing Baytril.
    Do you know his weight?
    Can you post a picture of the meds he gave you
    along with the directions.

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

cava (06-12-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast