Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed!!!

Default Advice needed!!!

I found a grey squirrel will actually he found me. He was dragging his back legs when he came up to me. I have a lot of animal experience and found TSB while I was looking for help.He is full grown and has a scabbed over injury looking like a grubb worm hole or possibly gun shot injury its already healed over and hard to tell what happened. No bleeding or anything like that .I have contacted several vets and rehab centers with no luck one lady told me to put it back and let nature take its course. I can't do that am willing to help him anyway I can. I was a vet tech for a vet in Ms that did wildlife and I have experience with squirrel care.I started giving sugar water to rehydrate him noticed he didn't urinate started expressing bladder and today I was doing his bladder and wiping him he went a little on his own and is showing signs of leg movements but not his tail. I no longer work and stay home so he has around the clock care.I do have meds just need a dosing chart and advice I was thinking mayb some pain meds and antibiotic and see if I can't get this guy back in the trees.I have tramadol 50mg or naproxen 375mg. Antibiotics I have a wide range due to all my rescues all in date still amoxicillin 500mg,doxycycline 100mg ,metronidazole 500mg or clindamycin150mg any help would be great.I would be willing to keep until I find someone I will pay a vet bill get a permit.He wants to live and he has been so good for me Like I said he found me and I want to give him my very best at making him better.

2. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Caringheart:

cava (06-10-2018), Diggie's Friend (06-09-2018), Nancy in New York (06-10-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-09-2018), stepnstone (06-09-2018)

Default Re: Advice needed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caringheart View Post
    I found a grey squirrel will actually he found me. He was dragging his back legs when he came up to me. I have a lot of animal experience and found TSB while I was looking for help.He is full grown and has a scabbed over injury looking like a grubb worm hole or possibly gun shot injury its already healed over and hard to tell what happened. No bleeding or anything like that .I have contacted several vets and rehab centers with no luck one lady told me to put it back and let nature take its course. I can't do that am willing to help him anyway I can. I was a vet tech for a vet in Ms that did wildlife and I have experience with squirrel care.I started giving sugar water to rehydrate him noticed he didn't urinate started expressing bladder and today I was doing his bladder and wiping him he went a little on his own and is showing signs of leg movements but not his tail. I no longer work and stay home so he has around the clock care.I do have meds just need a dosing chart and advice I was thinking mayb some pain meds and antibiotic and see if I can't get this guy back in the trees.I have tramadol 50mg or naproxen 375mg. Antibiotics I have a wide range due to all my rescues all in date still amoxicillin 500mg,doxycycline 100mg ,metronidazole 500mg or clindamycin150mg any help would be great.I would be willing to keep until I find someone I will pay a vet bill get a permit.He wants to live and he has been so good for me Like I said he found me and I want to give him my very best at making him better.
    Good for you going against her advice! He needs you and obviously wants to live. The wound could have been from a cat attack or pellet gun. If it was a .22 due to the high velocity it would have exited and killed him. Use plain Pedialyte to re-hydrate, not sugar water - do not use for more than 24 hours. Try feeding some clean washed seedless grapes or blueberries. Could also have been a fall due to being shot out of a tree or a fall due to weakness from injury/infection causing a spinal injury. Could by a systemic infection. Hopefully Nancy or Hrt4 squirrels will pop on and help you dose. I PM'ed them.

Can you get a fecal done? Tell the vet it's for a pet rat or I have a place you can send it. There are NO permits in GA so keep him on the QT.

Do you have Betadine Solution? Try cleaning the would with Betadine diluted down to around 10% with water (the color of light tea).

In the meantime here is the rat safe antibiotics chart: Rats have similar taxonomy to squirrels: http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

Caringheart (06-09-2018), Mel1959 (06-09-2018)

Thank you for helping him. The scabbed over injury you mentioned, where is it located? Is it near his spinal cord? Could it be a BB that penetrated his skin and injured his spine causing the rear end paralysis? There are also bot flys that get into the skin and the larvae grow and then erupt through the skin and leave a hole that would then scab over. Does the injury look inflamed or infected? Does he act like he’s in pain?

You say this is an adult squirrel? Is he eating foods? There is a squirrel Nutrition section in this forum that has a list of foods that squirrels might eat. Because he’s wild he may not go for a lot of the stuff on the list but you can try. I have found the wilds in my yard will eat avocado, fresh coconut, small pieces of corn, banana, apple, blueberries, sugar snap peas. You don’t want to feed him just nuts or a lot of corn, these items are not healthy for him.

Do you know anyone who might have prednisone? It may help with the paralysis, but it could take weeks of treatment. If you think he’s in pain we recommend metacam (meloxicam) or infant ibuprofen. Someone on here can help you dose if you can let us know the strength of the medicine. If you can post a picture it would help to estimate his weight.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Nancy in New York (06-10-2018), redwuff (06-10-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-09-2018)

Thank you so much. I gave sugar water only a few times yesterday to get him to drink he is drinking water good now not eating a lot but will nibble. He only weighs 1 lbs. I know some bout their care but willing to listen learn and act. He has got to my heart for sure.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Caringheart:

Nancy in New York (06-10-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-09-2018)

He weighs 1 lbs. He has been eating some I've been offering a wide variety of foods thats on the list. The injury is above his shoulders.I even went to the woods where I found him and gathered all the squirrel approved foods from the wild to help get him eating he likes pine cones to chew. He seems sore and stiff the injury does have a exit spot under the other front leg

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Caringheart from:

SophieSquirrel (06-09-2018)

Is there any reason to do antibiotics? Do you see any sign of infection? If the area of scabbing feels hot, you might do warm compress to see if it will open up. I can dose tramadol for you for pain, and prednisone for inflammation would be important, but I did not see that on your list of meds. Will send tramadol dose by pm.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

SophieSquirrel (06-09-2018), stepnstone (06-09-2018)

He weighs 1 lbs. He has been eating some I've been offering a wide variety of foods thats on the list. The injury is above his shoulders.I even went to the woods where I found him and gathered all the squirrel approved foods from the wild to help get him eating he likes pine cones to chew. He seems sore and stiff the injury does have a exit spot under the other front leg
    Might be a pellet entry/exit and might also be two bite marks from each side of a predators jaws. Best to get on approved antibiotics at the proper dose ASAP.

Can you take photos of him and the wounds and post? It's the little green "scene" square next to the film strip above the text area.

Edit: Redwuff, what do you think about low dose SMZ-TMP just to be on the safe side? Could be a low grade infection....

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Is there any reason to do antibiotics? Do you see any sign of infection? If the area of scabbing feels hot, you might do warm compress to see if it will open up. I can dose tramadol for you for pain, and prednisone for inflammation would be important, but I did not see that on your list of meds. Will send tramadol dose by pm.
    Sorry trying to learn how to use form lol am so much better wither animals than my phone

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    Might be a pellet entry/exit and might also be two bite marks from each side of a predators jaws. Best to get on approved antibiotics at the proper dose ASAP.

Can you take photos of him and the wounds and post? It's the little green "scene" square next to the film strip above the text area.
    I have a video trying to up load it but can't get it to work

It does seem like something is going on in there ive been cleaning it with a iodine cleanse. Ive been wearing gloves to handle him the furr in that area gets stiff but not seeing any oozing.

How easy is he to handle. If he is easy, he should not be. Either he is VERY sick, you absolutely are the squirrel whisperer, or he is in shock. Just take care, once he feels better, he might let you know he is a wild boy.

SophieSquirrel abt giving abs, I guess since caringheart was a vet tech, I am trusting his/her experience to be able to tell abt infection. My big concern is spinal injury and meds to decrease any inflammation that might help spinal healing. Of course abs at any sign of infection.

Is there any chance of getting an X-ray? Be very careful abt any vet you do not know.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (06-09-2018), SophieSquirrel (06-09-2018), stepnstone (06-09-2018)

He is not easy to handle but there is some trust in me on his part.. He will let me doctor him I keep his head covered so not to get bit and when getting him out of cage I wear gloves I got to look good just now I don't see any infection signs I removed one of the scabs while cleaning him just now and nothing oozing bleeding or opened if you have a email maybe I can send you a video I would really appreciate any and all help the vet I worked for in ms passed away a few years back and idk a vet here but am willing to pay for xray or whatever you can advise if he needs to be euthanized due to injury I understand but I want to give him my very best first.I rescue what most call hopeless cases I have a two legged tortoise that was to be euthanized by owners that let thier dog attack him. I will do all I can

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Caringheart:

cava (06-10-2018), redwuff (06-10-2018)

He is not easy to handle but there is some trust in me on his part.. He will let me doctor him I keep his head covered so not to get bit and when getting him out of cage I wear gloves I got to look good just now I don't see any infection signs I removed one of the scabs while cleaning him just now and nothing oozing bleeding or opened if you have a email maybe I can send you a video I would really appreciate any and all help the vet I worked for in ms passed away a few years back and idk a vet here but am willing to pay for xray or whatever you can advise if he needs to be euthanized due to injury I understand but I want to give him my very best first.I rescue what most call hopeless cases I have a two legged tortoise that was to be euthanized by owners that let thier dog attack him. I will do all I can
    is there anyone that could upload a video for caringheart?. CH can you upload pictures? Giving this sweet boy any and all chances is what TSB is all about. Thank you
    redwuff
    State Licensed

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

SophieSquirrel (06-10-2018)

I suggest making an account on YouTube or SmugMug.
    https://www.youtube.com/
    https://www.smugmug.com/
    Load the video there, and then put the link on the board.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Caringheart (06-10-2018), Mel1959 (06-10-2018)

If you want to email me a video, I will try to save it and
    see if I can get it on the board.
    For some reason, many times it doesn't allow me to save videos,
    but we can give it a try if you want.
    Sending you my email address in a pm.

What area of ga are you in. We might know of a safe vet.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Redwuff's suggestion to use Tramadol is a great one since that leaves open the possibility of trying Prednisone as suggested. You cannot give NSAIDs (Ibuprofen/Meloxicam) with prednisone.

Where in GA are you? Maybe I can help in getting vet help and X-Rays and vet help.

Do you have access to any Prednisone?

I have experience with many injured and sick wilds (paralysis from HBC, gunshot, tumors, HBC Trauma, etc.) and as Crittermom says sometimes the "wild" simply gets knocked out of them temporarily. I suspect your experience with animals helps, and while you should always take precautions (or you will pay the price, I certainly have), I have found that the wilds can be "cooperative" when you are trying to help them. Long way of saying just because they are calmer than expected is not necessarily indicative that their situation is worse than it may appear. My 2 cents. Though this guy seems in very rough shape.

I am going to PM my home phone since I will not have much time on TSB today, too many chores.
    Last edited by Spanky; 06-10-2018 at 08:27 AM.

28. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Caringheart (06-10-2018), lennysmom (06-13-2018), Nancy in New York (06-10-2018), redwuff (06-10-2018)

Okay thank y'all so much everyone has been so paitient but I got them on https://w-m.smugmug.com hopefully I did it right

What is going on in the first two photos with his rump? I'm confused by them.

The pics of him on the create is how we found him.the other picture are of his shoulders and it feels like some type of old injury but thats all I could find to explain why he might be paralyzed today he is much better he has started urinating more at a time on his own he has not moved his tail but will bush it out at me and he enjoyed the morning sunshine I brought his cage out and sat with him.he also moves legs when I wipe his potty areas.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Caringheart from:

Snicker Bar (06-11-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast