Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bot fly or abscess?

Default Bot fly or abscess?

So Mamma, one of my regular wilds, showed up last night with a big lump on her back that wasnt there in the morning. Like it came out of no where. Its soft & squishy. Some hair is missing from it but you cant see it in photos. No holes or punctures that i can see. It doesnt seem to bother her. She let me touch it. Shes an adult female about 3-5 years old & healthy. I can easily medicate her & touch her. Shes super friendly with me but i cant actually "hold" on to her or manipulate her. Was still on her this morning. What is it? I was thinking bot fly....but ive never seen one in real life or on any squirrels here, only photos. And we just had a ton of rain & wet days. Then it crossed my mind it could be an abscess. But it appeared in a matter of hours. Thoughts? How to treat it? Wait & see? Shes eating & acting normal, moving fine. I love this girl & am concerned. I have almost every antibiotic except im out of clavamox.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

cava (06-07-2018)

Default Re: Bot fly or abscess?

One more photo....it timed out before i could post last pic. Its on her left side middle of torso.
    Name:  20180606_183453.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  136.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jennefer View Post
    So Mamma, one of my regular wilds, showed up last night with a big lump on her back that wasnt there in the morning. Like it came out of no where. Its soft & squishy. Some hair is missing from it but you cant see it in photos. No holes or punctures that i can see. It doesnt seem to bother her. She let me touch it. Shes an adult female about 3-5 years old & healthy. I can easily medicate her & touch her. Shes super friendly with me but i cant actually "hold" on to her or manipulate her. Was still on her this morning. What is it? I was thinking bot fly....but ive never seen one in real life or on any squirrels here, only photos. And we just had a ton of rain & wet days. Then it crossed my mind it could be an abscess. But it appeared in a matter of hours. Thoughts? How to treat it? Wait & see? Shes eating & acting normal, moving fine. I love this girl & am concerned. I have almost every antibiotic except im out of clavamox.
    From the shape of it on the bottom picture it looks like it very well could be a bot fly.
    One won't necessary see a "opening" until it's ready to emerge.
    I'm doubting abscess but if it is it looks as if it's ready to break on it's own.
    I'd personally just keep an eye on it to try and determine which it is before intervening.
    If bot, it's not in a "bad" area and will drop out on it's own without harm when ready.
    An abscess will often break, drain and heal on it's own also without intervention or ab's
    being necessary.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Jennefer (06-07-2018), Mel1959 (06-07-2018), redwuff (06-07-2018), SammysMom (06-07-2018)

Hey Jennefer, I’m not sure what it could be, but if folks (and you) decide you need Clavamox, let me know and I’ll send you some. It would be there in a day or so, if needed. . Dr. E did think that this year might be bad for bot flys.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Jennefer (06-07-2018), stepnstone (06-07-2018)

I have a question, if we suspect bot fly and she treats with a med to kill the bot, what happens then? It dies under the skin and becomes an abscess?

Should she wait and see?

Thanks Step & Mel! Yes...my mind went straight to bot fly after reading some of HRT's posts on these buggers....freaks me out looking at the photos of her Suzie. And with all the rain we've had the past 2 weeks being so early in the season. I dont know about you guys, but it's been 85 degrees at 7:30am with 90% humidity. I almost hope it's an abscess over a bot fly. I know from what Ive read that they are somewhat "harmless" but the thought of that thing on my girls back just grosses me out. But I think Im with Step...its not round or hot or hard, kind of oblong shaped just like those worms. I'll keep an eye on her. I see her at least 2x a day or more. She lives in my yard & LOVES her food, so she never goes far. Thanks Mel for the offer on Clavamox...you are the best! I have everything else...clindamyacin, cipro, amox, orbax, smz-tmp & macrobid, but not clav. Used it up on my last 2 outdoor babies with abscesses. I'll keep an eye on her & give you guys an update in a day or 2! And if it's a bot fly.....I think Im gonna need HRT to take a drive over & exterminate it for me! LOL

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

cava (06-07-2018), Mel1959 (06-08-2018), stepnstone (06-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    I have a question, if we suspect bot fly and she treats with a med to kill the bot, what happens then? It dies under the skin and becomes an abscess?

Should she wait and see?
    Hi Cava! Thats what i was thinking....can you kill it before it comes out? So I was on here searching for bot fly treatment & got kind of confused b/c it sounds like at some point if it dies or you kill it in their skin before it opens up it releases a toxin that can kill the host (or make them at the very least very sick). I have ivermectin & revolution, but was very unsure about it after reading. I dont want to harm Mamma. Im hoping HRT comes on & sees...she seems to be the resident expert on bots. I swear if it's a bot im gonna have nightmares. I was already up last night worrying about Mamma with this lump on her. It like something out of a horror film. Ugh! Some days I wish I could move all the squirrels inside & keep them safe from everything!

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

Mel1959 (06-08-2018)

You do not want to treat for bot flies and kill them once they are this far developed, especially if there are multiples. The dead larvae will fester and cause an infection, and while this is not a "danger" area for bots it is in an area when she may be unable to "dig out" a dead bot. Once the bot is dead it will really start bothering her much more since the larvae excrete antibodies of sort to keep their host healthy, so secondary infections (and the need for antibiotics) is usually unnecessary.

I believe I have also read where they excrete some substance that actually help make the host more comfortable and less likely to dig out the larvae. An analgesics or antihistamine (anti-itch) substance or whatnot.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Jennefer (06-07-2018), Mel1959 (06-08-2018), squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018)

As the bot gets closer to popping out, a very small round hole appears in the skin. There will be a slight drainage from the hole. It is at this point you can cover the hole with Vaseline and the bot will come close to the surface and you can gently nudge it out of the opening. I feed the bots to my chickens, they love them.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Jennefer (06-07-2018), Mel1959 (06-08-2018), squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    You do not want to treat for bot flies and kill them once they are this far developed, especially if there are multiples. The dead larvae will fester and cause an infection, and while this is not a "danger" area for bots it is in an area when she may be unable to "dig out" a dead bot. Once the bot is dead it will really start bothering her much more since the larvae excrete antibodies of sort to keep their host healthy, so secondary infections (and the need for antibiotics) is usually unnecessary.

I believe I have also read where they excrete some substance that actually help make the host more comfortable and less likely to dig out the larvae. An analgesics or antihistamine (anti-itch) substance or whatnot.
    Thanks for the info Spanky....That's what I thought i read. I wont treat. I'll just observe until it's time to get that sucker out if she needs my help. Ugh! I feel for her. Not that I would ever want any squirrel to get these (if thats what it is), but of all squirrels, my Mamma is the sweetest, most gentle girl ever. She doesnt have a mean bone in her little squee body. It just pains me to think some big gross worm is living off her & gonna come outta her skin.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

Mel1959 (06-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    As the bot gets closer to popping out, a very small round hole appears in the skin. There will be a slight drainage from the hole. It is at this point you can cover the hole with Vaseline and the bot will come close to the surface and you can gently nudge it out of the opening. I feed the bots to my chickens, they love them.
    Redwuff...Thanks for the tip, I dont know if I have the stomach to do it but I will give my best, for Mamma. Man, chickens will eat anything! As for me....I think I just threw up a little & I'll be skipping dinner tonight! Or...maybe some.... LOL, ok I just wanted to use the new broccoli guy! Seriously, just veggies for dinner tonight.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

Mel1959 (06-08-2018), redwuff (06-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennefer View Post
    And if it's a bot fly.....I think Im gonna need HRT to take a drive over & exterminate it for me! LOL
    You know I would!

I hate those miserable things. I just posted last week about treating the outsiders ... oops... too late. I was thinking it was too early but I was told Abby already has bots so here we go. And Yes, I suspect a very bad year due to the rain.
    I saw Susie 2 days ago. I wasn't even thinking bot but I noticed she has a perfect TicTac shaped swelling under her eye. It is literally in her lower eye lid. I thought I HOPE that's not a bot or she will need surgery to remove that. Dear lord, I hope not but if it is, a bot can't grow there or she will be blinded. I certainly couldn't pull one from an eyelid either.
    I guess we will both be on BOT WATCH!

Redwuff, I have a pretty tough stomach but chickens eating bots sorta makes me nauseous. I prefer to flush them.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Jennefer (06-07-2018), Mel1959 (06-08-2018)

Oh no HRT...i really pray thats not whats on Susie. Poor girls been thru enough of those already! I saw Mamma when i got home & its still there & looks about the same. Perfect description...a large tic tac. Ugh!! Ill keep ya updated! Hope all is well with you!

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

Mel1959 (06-08-2018)

Mamma update...5 days later & the lump is still there. Doubled in size & is round now instead of oblong. No holes or openings. Still squishy. Doesnt seem to bother her. Still eating & climbing & acting normal. Cant tell from photos but some fur on it is sparse & i can see her pink skin. Any thoughts? How long do bot flys take to open up? What should i do? Name:  20180611_180059.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  92.5 KBName:  20180611_180102.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  89.2 KBName:  20180611_180053.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  104.5 KB

I'm thinking abscess. A bot warble should have an opening by now.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stepnstone (06-12-2018)

Should I give it a few more days & see what happens? These pics were taken last night & I didnt see her this morning, so will check for her when I get home. Im afraid to start antibiotics if it's the bot fly b/c I dont want it to die in her. Or are antibiotics ok to give with bot flY? I dont have clavamox, but I listed what I do have up in a earlier post. What do you think?

I agree with Hrt, abscess.
    I take it you can't handle her? I'd be trying to lance it...

clindamyacin, cipro, amox, orbax, smz-tmp, all treat certain kinds of bacterial infections.
    Macrobid is used to treat urinary tract infections. Hrt woud have a better answer then I
    on which would be best.

I think it's pretty safe to say at this point it's not a bot fly.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Jennefer (06-12-2018)

I would give it a few more days. Antibiotics won't have any effect on a bot fly but unfortunately if it's an abscess, antibiotics won't help that much either. It needs to drain. Antibiotics won't do a thing for a walled off abscess. If this doesn't drain on its own, is there any possibility of catching her?
    Dr. Z could lance it if you can catch her. Actually, Tina might be able to lance it also.

Question for you... have you ever seen bot fly warbles in your area? The reason I ask is because I have noted that those that live near the coast don't have bot flys. Those in St.Pete never see bots. I know you're closer to the coast. I'm 25 miles inland and we get swamped with bots.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I would give it a few more days. Antibiotics won't have any effect on a bot fly but unfortunately if it's an abscess, antibiotics won't help that much either. It needs to drain. Antibiotics won't do a thing for a walled off abscess. If this doesn't drain on its own, is there any possibility of catching her?
    Dr. Z could lance it if you can catch her. Actually, Tina might be able to lance it also.

Question for you... have you ever seen bot fly warbles in your area? The reason I ask is because I have noted that those that live near the coast don't have bot flys. Those in St.Pete never see bots. I know you're closer to the coast. I'm 25 miles inland and we get swamped with bots.
    We had bot flies on the east coast about 15 years ago. At about the same time we also had a huge pox outbreak. It was horrific!

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

HRT4SQRLS (06-12-2018)

Step...nope i cant handle her. I can touch her & tickle her & medicate, but shes total wild (not a release). She eats out of my hand so thats when i can touch the lump.

HRT....ive never caught a wild before & i have so many im not sure i can single her out. Her 4 kids still hang around her in her tree & im pretty sure her girls still sleep in her drey. Ill give it a few more days & watch it. I saw her tonight & shes showing no signs of slowing down. Mel offered me clavamox (thanks Mel)...should i get it now in case Mamma needs it in a few days? Or if it opens & drains will meds i have on hand work? Just want to be prepared. Ill trap her if it means her living or dying. Shes such a sweetheart. I hope if it comes to that, she doesnt hate me forever! And no, ive never seen bots here on any squirrel. Im abt a mile or less from the gulf.

35. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

Mel1959 (06-12-2018), stepnstone (06-12-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast