Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doesn’t like everyone

Default Re: Doesn’t like everyone

Quote Originally Posted by AeCman View Post
    Ok makes sense I will order the HHB Block today
    My two cents is not only order the HHB today, but cut out all seeds and nuts today until her diet is straightened out. Then maybe you can re-introduce these as treats. At 10 months with the diet listed your Ember is at high risk of MBD. As StepNStone already said MBD is a killer... and onset can be very quick. Countless threads here on TSB will have stories of squirrels that were fine one evening only to be found on the floor of their cage the next morning.

And as long as I am weighing in after consciously not for a few days now: if you plan to keep healthy Ember as a pet you need to have a vet that will treat her. You need that in place now, not later when it may be an emergency.

2. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Buddy (01-30-2021), cava (06-07-2018), Grinderhead (06-06-2018), Mel1959 (06-08-2018), Nancy in New York (06-06-2018), redwuff (06-06-2018), TubeDriver (06-06-2018)

First let me say I'm not here to advocate release in this situation but I want to address the fact that she is attacking your son. It's not fair to him and if she has to be isolated so he can walk about his home, eventually it won't be fair to her.

I get what you're doing with the sunflower seeds, and may be allowing him to take part in her care WILL create a better bond between them.

Squirrels are generally ONE person animals, we hear these questions all of the time and just recently someone was looking for a home for a squirrel who only liked one person and the partner was afraid and getting attacked. This squirrel was over a year old.

All I'm saying is really assess your family and home situation and consider how you will manage if this is the scenario for the next 10 years. Is it something you are willing to live with while making her life as fulfilled as possible. Best wishes.

4. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Buddy (01-30-2021), gunpackingrandma (06-15-2018), Mel1959 (06-08-2018), Nancy in New York (06-07-2018), PennyCash (06-08-2018), redwuff (06-07-2018), TubeDriver (06-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

Feeding (too many) nuts is another source that has been shown to cause aggression
    in captive squirrels.

Do consider what has been said here....
    I've raised many squees and have given nuts as treats. (not every day) Admittedly, I have over "treated" at times.
    The change in attitude is uncanny and certinally not appreciated, cutting out the nuts greatly improves the attitude
    and aggression. Once they have returned to a more normal disposition I will treat with a nut again but limit it to only
    1-2 X per week.
    Also please take in consideration to the scale in post #19
    and the recommendation of 2-1 calcium to Phosphorous ratio.
    Sunflower seed is too high in Phosphorous.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 06-07-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Had cal/phos ratio reversed, it's 2-1 not 1-2
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Diggie's Friend (06-26-2018), Mel1959 (06-08-2018), TubeDriver (06-07-2018)

Ok makes sense I will order the HHB Block today
    Make sure you put the HHB's in the freezer since they are made from fresh ingredients and will spoil if left out. Ember may not take to them right away expecting the "bad" foods she likes. A squirrel will not starve and eventually will eat the blocks. I have seen some stubborn ones!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

cava (06-09-2018), Mel1959 (06-09-2018)

Hey Guys I just wanted to post an update I ordered the HHBs and Ember absolutely loves them she don't even care that they are frozen and I have scaled back her nuts and seeds to treats only she is still doing fine. but will tolerate my son coming in and giving her a treat or HHB she even sat with him for a couple minutes the other day before she clawed him (maybe progress) he really wants to be a part of the squirrel group so maybe the positive association is slowly breaking down her defenses. it has not however helped me with the big green parrot who I have determined is jealous and protecting his mate (my Wife ) From me go figure guess that's why they say exotics are not for everyone but I cant watch an animal be mistreated or left for dead which is how I became a member of this page. just wanted to let everyone know that I didn't just go away, and that I am following as much good advice as I can. I'm glad y'all are here to help us noobs. I have realized that I need to take her outside more often from some of the other posts I have read. Just so you know she absolutely hates it and spends much of the time hiding in her box I'm hoping that with time she will get more comfortable with her outside time as I would like to see her actually getting some good sunlight and not just window bathing. Thanks for the good advice Name:  27EDE2F0-22CB-41DD-BCC5-0D5C361C2D7C.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  79.6 KB

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to AeCman:

PennyCash (06-26-2018), SammysMom (07-17-2018)

By "outside" do you mean out of her cage inside the house or outdoors in a sunning cage?

Outside in her cage. It’s large and has wheels and usually if I’m able to sit outside with her she will stay on top of her box but if I have yard work or have to come inside for more than a few minutes she will go in her nesting box and hide.

Hey Guys I just wanted to post an update I ordered the HHBs and Ember absolutely loves them she don't even care that they are frozen and I have scaled back her nuts and seeds to treats only she is still doing fine. but will tolerate my son coming in and giving her a treat or HHB she even sat with him for a couple minutes the other day before she clawed him (maybe progress) he really wants to be a part of the squirrel group so maybe the positive association is slowly breaking down her defenses. it has not however helped me with the big green parrot who I have determined is jealous and protecting his mate (my Wife ) From me go figure guess that's why they say exotics are not for everyone but I cant watch an animal be mistreated or left for dead which is how I became a member of this page. just wanted to let everyone know that I didn't just go away, and that I am following as much good advice as I can. I'm glad y'all are here to help us noobs. I have realized that I need to take her outside more often from some of the other posts I have read. Just so you know she absolutely hates it and spends much of the time hiding in her box I'm hoping that with time she will get more comfortable with her outside time as I would like to see her actually getting some good sunlight and not just window bathing. Thanks for the good advice Name:  27EDE2F0-22CB-41DD-BCC5-0D5C361C2D7C.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  79.6 KB
    Great news that your making adjustments for Embers health and well being.
    I think eventually Ember will learn to appreciate the sun a bit more.
    I remember reading about a wild squirrel that became friendlier (not AS biting) after the person sat near him for hours over weeks. Maybe as well as giving her the occasional treat your son could try sitting quietly near her cage so that she can smell him. Ultimately Ember will decide if she'll accept him or not but might help?

Outside in her cage. It’s large and has wheels and usually if I’m able to sit outside with her she will stay on top of her box but if I have yard work or have to come inside for more than a few minutes she will go in her nesting box and hide.
    Just be VERY careful NOT to put her in direct sun, and to NOT bring her outside if it's too hot or humid.
    Here's an excellent link to read.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...heat-in-Summer!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

SammysMom (07-17-2018)

Thanks for all the responses Ember i suppose is right about 1 year old now and is thriving her behavior has not changed but I should feel lucky that she is happy with 3 people and she is definitely my baby she now enjoys laying across my shoulder and when she is out of her cage spends 90% of that time trying to make sure that I don’t leave room and that I cannot play with anything but her she used to love bouncing off all of the furniture in the room but now only wants to stay with me and groom my ears she is very smart and will usually not use any more claw than required to climb clothing and very rarely uses claw on bare skin the last month or so she has become more docile with me and very affectionate. I know squirrels are not supposed to be social animals but she is very attached to i me. I swear some times she even comes when called. Her diet consists of fresh fruit and vegetable she loves avocados and blueberries but only tolerates broccoli she gets peanut butter or yogurt with her food most days and always gets at least 1 HHB I just really wanted to give you guys an update on my baby Ember and her care any feedback is always appreciated

Thanks for all the responses Ember i suppose is right about 1 year old now and is thriving her behavior has not changed but I should feel lucky that she is happy with 3 people and she is definitely my baby she now enjoys laying across my shoulder and when she is out of her cage spends 90% of that time trying to make sure that I don’t leave room and that I cannot play with anything but her she used to love bouncing off all of the furniture in the room but now only wants to stay with me and groom my ears she is very smart and will usually not use any more claw than required to climb clothing and very rarely uses claw on bare skin the last month or so she has become more docile with me and very affectionate. I know squirrels are not supposed to be social animals but she is very attached to i me. I swear some times she even comes when called. Her diet consists of fresh fruit and vegetable she loves avocados and blueberries but only tolerates broccoli she gets peanut butter or yogurt with her food most days and always gets at least 1 HHB I just really wanted to give you guys an update on my baby Ember and her care any feedback is always appreciated
    So very glad to hear you are keeping her as part of your family. So many times when the squirrel is not what the human family expected out goes the poor confused squirrel. You have discovered the joys (and challenges) of having a squirrel as a family member!

Just explain to those who are not in her "inner circle" not to take it personally and there is no rhyme or reason with whom a squirrel decides to bond. Usually it's only one person and often that will change over time being more accepting of others. As far as not being social animals that holds true in the wild where they are always on guard for predators and protecting their territories. In a safe home a squirrel eventually let's it's guard down and can be loving and relaxed (sometimes).

Stay strict with the Henry's diet and not too much peanut butter. If you take her outdoors in her cage on wheels keep her out of direct sun, never leave her alone, make sure the cage is locked and escape proof. As squirrel in direct sun can heatstroke very quickly and they cannot sweat to stay cool.

GREAT job raising her!

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

island rehabber (07-18-2018), Scooterzmom (01-30-2021)

Any updates on Ember's behavior; did she mellow out, make progress on being comfortable outside, continue attacks etc?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12