Thread: Help....

Savesquirrelgal Guest

Exclamation Help....

Can anyone who lives in Tucson Arizona take a baby round tailed ground squirrel? My husband brought one home early yesterday evening. It was in the road and wouldn't be convinced to cross to safety. So he brought it home. I'm heading into town today to get a better enclosure and food in case no one can help. I've fostered lots of different babies in the past (birds, rabbits, goats), but never a squirrel. I don't have any of my syringes and other equipment anymore so I'll have to restock that today as well if no one can help. Thank you so much, I appreciate your time.

Default Re: Help....

I'm too far away to help, but I'd start a thread with a new title, stating your location:

Tucson AZ Ground squirrel baby needs help!

Something like that.

This may be useful to you even with your experience: https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

I don't think we even have any Tucson area members - my mom lives there and I visit every spring so I always keep an eye out. If you are able to find someone through local sources, make certain they do NOT also rehab birds of prey...little baby animals have a tendency to become dinners... I don't know whether the Reid Park Zoo or the Desert Museum can point you toward anyone but they may be worth a call.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Mel1959 (06-01-2018)

Savesquirrelgal Guest

Thank you for the thoughtful replies and advice. We're all good here now. Thanks again.

Can you elaborate? You are not the first person from that area who has ended up with one of these little cuties and if there is some place we can recommend it would be a great piece of info.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

cava (06-03-2018), Nancy in New York (06-02-2018), Toddy (06-02-2018)

Savesquirrelgal Guest

Hi CritterMom. Rehabing myself. Baby is doing well. My guess is 6 weeks based on what I've read about their breeding season and the fact that there are fully developed teeth visible. I got the youngster rehydrated using recipe I found for homemade Pedialyte, and eating appropriate diet based on the literature. Once the youngster is bigger we'll release back into the wild.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Savesquirrelgal:

cava (06-03-2018), Toddy (06-03-2018)

Ah, very good. If you have a yard you can release him there - the little guys are everywhere. I love watching them when I visit - with those big eyes they look like little Japanese anime creatures. I pondered smuggling one home in my bra before Tucson started x-ray screening at the airport! LOL.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

stepnstone (06-03-2018), Toddy (06-03-2018)

Savesquirrelgal Guest

SophieSquirrel - I replied to your private message but got error message that you cannot receive any new messages until you clear some room. Just FYI.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.