Thread: New squirrel daddy.

Shamrock Guest

Default New squirrel daddy.

Hi all im new to the board. I have joined so I may learn more about my new furry friend. Ok so here we go. I found Shamrock the Grey on St. Pattys day 2018 driving to my fiances dads house. He happened to be wondering around in the road, eyes closed, dehydrated and lost. If anything he was scared and lethargic. My fiancee jumps out of the car before I could stop and runs over to him to see what was wrong and if he was ok. He was very evasive with her not sure why because I parked the car in the middle of the road so no cars could go by and she would not be hit. So I ended up walking over and sure enough he came right to me by the sound of my voice I dont know if I calmed him by talking to him or what. There where no trees around for atleast 200yrds off. So I knew he was in bad shape and need help, so i ran back out and bought mixed berry Pedialyte to rehydrate him. I aswell cleaned the fleas and ticks off him and then he got a cotton ball bath with luke warm water and dawn. Very next morning he opened his eyes. Then from that point I kinda got attached plus everything I read that night and experience growing up on the farm, mothers wont take the baby back if they are not there when the eyes open. I assumed he was abandoned anyway. So I did alot of research and ound this on the board, below

Here is the diet for a squirrel. Please take notice to #7.

Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels*
    (Revised March 21, 2008)*

Your squirrel needs a balanced diet containing protein, fat, and vitamins and minerals, including lots of calcium. Feed a variety of foods from each category in the amounts indicated. Note: Amounts are for a 450-gram (1 pound) squirrel, and should be adjusted as necessary depending on your squirrel’s weight. For squirrels that are older, overweight, or less active, you should limit foods that are high in sugars, starches, or fat.

1. Rodent Block—2-4 small blocks per day. Below are two of the best:
    Harlan Teklad 2014 and 2018 Rodent Diets. The cadillac of rodent chows. Vegetarian formulas contain no preservatives, phytoestrogens, or nitrosamines. The 2014 is a low-fat, low-protein formula suitable for older squirrels. The 2018 is for growing squirrels (under 18 months old). Store in the refrigerator. $5.00 for 5 lbs at the Crafty Rat:
    www.craftyrat.com/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=FS

KayTee Forti-Diet for Rats and Mice. A tasty vegetarian rodent diet available at pet stores. If you’re having trouble getting your squirrel to eat blocks, it can be a good choice. Does contain added sugars such as molasses, as well as preservatives for long shelf life. $3.47 for 2 lbs at Petco:
    www.petco.com/product/5906/Ka...-Rat-Food.aspx
    2. High-Calcium Vegetables—5-7 thumb-sized pieces per day. Arugula, beet greens, Belgian endive, carrots, celery, chicory, chinese cabbage (bok choy), cilantro (fresh), chrysanthemum flowers, collard greens, dandelion greens, escarole, fennel, kale, lettuce (looseleaf), mustard spinach, parsley (fresh), purslane, radicchio, radishes, romaine lettuce, squash (butternut; raw or cooked), swiss chard, turnip greens, watercress.

3. Other Healthy Veggies—2-3 pieces per day. Asparagus, artichokes, avocado**, bell peppers (green, red, or yellow), broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carnations, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, green beans, mushrooms (1 per week), okra, pumpkin, squash (all types; raw or cooked), sugar snap peas, sweet potato* (raw or cooked), zucchini.
    *Somewhat higher in sugars/starches
    **High in fat; also the skin and pit are toxic
    Avoid: Dried vegetables, fresh corn, garlic, onion, palm hearts, potatoes, sprouts, yams

4. Wild Foods—Unlimited while in season. Magnolia cones, pine cones, pine branches and bark, branch tips of nontoxic trees, roses from your garden, wild rose hips, purslane, plaintain, lambs quarters, and dandelion greens can be gathered fresh daily. Look to see what the wild squirrels are eating in your area. Make sure the area wasn’t sprayed, fertilized, or treated with any chemicals.

5. Animal Protein. Live or dried mealworms, crickets, or live moths (2 per day). Another option is eggs (hard-boiled or scrambled, with the shell), cheese, or plain yogurt mashed with some fruit (1 tsp. per day). Mealworms are available live or canned from pet stores and online at*www.exoticnutrition.com/Treat-Department.htm

6. Fruit—2 slices per day. Apple, apricot, bananas,* blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries* (sweet), cherries (sour), crabapples,* cranberries, grapefruit, grapes,* honeydew, kiwi, kumquats, lemon, lime, mangos,* navel oranges, nectarines, papaya, passion fruit,* peaches, pears, pineapple, pomegranates,* raspberries, strawberries, watermelon.
    *Somewhat higher in sugars/starches
    Note: Pits and seeds can be toxic, except for berries.
    Avoid: Dates, dried fruit of any kind, figs, fruit juice, persimmons, plums, prunes, raisins.

7. Nuts/Seeds—Two per day, preferably in the shell. Acorns, whole roasted pumpkin seeds, and almonds are the healthiest, followed by hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, English walnuts, pecans, pistachios, and peanuts, in that order. Unlike other nuts/seeds, sesame seeds are an excellent source of calcium.
    Avoid: Cashews, sunflower seeds, dried corn, pine nuts (will cause severe calcium loss).

8. Something to Chew On. Antlers, tree branches, sea shells, or a walnut-sized rock from outdoors provide trace minerals and keep teeth from overgrowing. A cuttlebone or other calcium/mineral block should be hung on the side of the cage.

Foods to Avoid Generally
    -Packaged “squirrel food,” “pet treats,” or seed mixes.
    -Starchy foods: pasta, bread, grains, seeds, rice, potatoes.
    -Sugary foods: candy, cookies, dried fruit, banana chips, soda, fruit juices, sweetened yogurt, granola, sweetened breakfast cereals.
    -Junk food: french fries, potato chips, pretzels, crackers, anything salted.
    -Legumes: beans (kidney beans, lentils, etc.), peas, and soybeans; except for green beans and sugar snap peas in the pod.
    -Artificial sweeteners like Nutra-Sweet or aspartame.*

Also Important for Good Health:*

Natural sunlight. 1 hour per day in an outdoor cage or screened porch during the warm months provides Vit D and will help keep your squirrel healthy. An open window screened with aluminum screening or hardware cloth is another option. Indoors, a full-spectrum light (FSL) for 8 hrs per day is the next-best thing; although it does not provide Vit D, it is believed to have other health benefits.

Maintaining a Healthy Weight. Being overweight causes all kinds of health problems and is a major factor in diabetes in older animals. “Healthy weights” may vary: northern squirrels tend to be heavier than southern squirrels, and foxers are heavier than greys. In general, your pet should look like the healthy wild squirrels in your area.

SINCE THEN. I have built him a cage that stands 6Ft tall by 3ft wide by 2ft wide. Plenty of room to run and play, his nesting box is 1ft×1ft×ft. Looks like a condo for squirrels. From what I read the size should be 2×2×2 I felt that was to small so I made him a mansion i just wanted him to have plenty of room. Ive put branches with lican and moss in there for him to chew, along with rodent blocks and chew logs. There are also size varying river rocks in there as well. I also gave him a hammock that he really enjoys. Food wise he has 2 metal bowls one for dry foods and one for the fruits and veggies that get changed out daily. I have him on a very diverse diet of healthy things listed above so he is not to get board. We go out side to let him run around in the yard and get sun light and his cage is open the majority of the time so he can run freely. Hes litre trained self taught by him self Who would of thought. He has 2 brothers a 35Lb Maincoon Bobcat mix, and the other is the same mix at 28Lbs. He has a sister who is Maincoon at 13+ Lbs. Believe it or not they have one of those unlikely bonds that no one think exists. They play together and have sometimes slept together curled up in a furry ball. Blew my mind, he has such a wonderful personality. I have 3 questions. #1 Do you trim there nails or do the trim by running around the branches and cage. #2 Do I worm him if so how much and of what and how often. #3 Do I take him to get shots or is that a thing? I would appreciate any tips or pointers. I want the best for him, he has become my little buddy. As of right now he looks very healthy hes very energetic and playful and is alway in a good mood. Hope you enjoyed my story and thanks for having me I feel i could learn alot here.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shamrock:

SophieSquirrel (05-31-2018), TubeDriver (05-31-2018)

Default Re: New squirrel daddy.

Shamrock,

Sounds like you did your research! What kind of formula did you raise him on? As far as your questions: You should not have to trim his nails, I would not worry about de-worming unless you suspect a problem, and there are no "shots" for a squirrel. Is the cage indoors or outdoors? If you have him running loose in the yard eventually as he matures he will most likely run up a tree and take off looking for a territory, I sun mine supervised in semi shade using locked smaller sunning cages that I take outside - but never in the direct Florida sun especially in the summer. If mine got loose they would die since they all have various serious medical issues. Eventually you are going to have to decide if he will be a pet (captive) or released back into the wild. By not securing him outdoors he will eventually make that decision for you.

As far as his cat buddies remember they are predators especially the 1/2 bobcat and the prey drive can trigger out of the blue just by him running. Also even in play if he is bitten by one of the cats he can get a deadly systemic infection from the saliva. Also he is now imprinted with cats as "buddies" so if released he may approach the wrong cat and that will be the end of him. If you read over the posts here you will see cat attacks are a major cause of injury. Make no mistake about it as cute as the current relationship is cats are not "brothers and sisters" to a squirrel, They are predators and rodents are prey and they are walking a very fine line at present. Many a pet squirrel owner has come home to find their beloved squirrel torn to shreds by the usually docile family cat.

Shamrock Guest

Simlac and almond milk were used untill he was able to eat solid foods. Along with Pedialyte to rehydrate him

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shamrock from:

SophieSquirrel (05-31-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    Simlac and almond milk were used untill he was able to eat solid foods. Along with Pedialyte to rehydrate him
    If my math is right based on your post he is about 14 weeks. The only reason I am saying this is not to bash your choice of formula but you received mis-information. In case someone new to squirrels reads this thread in the future they will know the correct formula. These are the only correct formulas <link below> and the squirrel should be allowed to self-wean so they get as much calcium and nutrients to stave off future Metabolic Bone Disease. At the age you found him he could have gone straight to Fox Valley 20/50 but you didn't know.

Link: https://www.henryspets.com/3-formula-feeding/

Pedialyte is only to be used for the first 24 hours.

Again, this is not to Monday morning quarterback - it's just so viewers to your post know the correct formulas to use.

Future release or captive pet? If he is going to be a "pet" there is a lot of information on here about keeping a long term captive squirrel healthy. I know it's cute but the cat situation may (will) be a recipe for disaster at some point and time. It's kind of like the Chimps who are fine with people for years and one day out of the blue they literally tear someones face off.

This video <below> shows well meaning people who "home rehabbed" an injured baby for release but made some major mistakes. It illustrates three things. 1) The people did not do research on The Squirrel Board (it's easy to find) and let this little baby go WAY too early. 2) Danger is everywhere for every release or wild squirrel especially one that thinks cats are friends. 3) Cats are unpredictable predators that kill for sport as well as food. This video was from Colliersville, TN and the squirrel did not survive.

Shamrock Guest

No I appreciate the response that im getting. Thank you. Yes hes about I would say 14 to 17 weeks your pretty spoton. I do agree with you about the cats aswell there is at no point they are unattended with Shamrock so please dont think I put him in any eminent danger. Im with him at all times when he is out its literally like taking care of a small child just a little more self sufficient. So by no means do i think you or anyone on here is trying to bash lol i take criticism very well. Im really learning alot. 😁 so as soon as i figure out how to upload pictures from my gallery to upload here I will cause i would really like for folks to see that he is in good health and great appearance. Unfortunately im trying to figure this out through a smartphone. So please dont stop. If you thunk Im doing something wrong definitely pull that card and say so. Again thank you.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shamrock from:

SophieSquirrel (05-31-2018)

Hi and welcome.

Thanks for helping this guy. I know you've been warned, but predator and prey shouldn't be put together in confined spaces. May be it hasn't happened yet, may be it never will, but if it does and the squirrel is killed, it's not your cats' fault. I'll leave it at that because it's not my job to convince you, just to inform you, we've seen our share of horror stories from well meaning folks.

Here are some links you may find useful while you're here:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Since he had incorrect formula and may have nutritional deficits, be sure he is eating a rodent block as the base of his diet, then supplement with the veggies for variety and give nut and fruit occasionally, as a treat. In the wild squirrels load up on nuts one time a year, and aren't built to eat them year round. If you have trouble getting him to eat the rodent block you can crush it, mix a bit of coconut oil in and some applesauce/baby food to bind and roll into balls. They usually love that. (Boo Balls) Sometimes I bake mine, with the young one I currently have she likes it with water added and made into oatmeal consistency the best.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...r-release-cage

No matter what you decide to do, these specs will ensure you have a safe cage for baby.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-How-to-Sticky

https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

For future reference in case another baby lands on your doorstep.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Mel1959 (05-31-2018), SophieSquirrel (05-31-2018), Toddy (06-01-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.