Thread: Mulberry tree

Default Mulberry tree

Hello, I was trying to identify a berry tree in my backyard. I’ve identified it as a mulberry tree. While looking it up I found articles that state the not ripe fruit and sap can cause upset stomach and hallucinogen effects.

Does anyone have further knowledge on this? I’m not giving it to my squirrels just curious.

Default Re: Mulberry tree

I have not witnessed any ill effects from the sap or eating the fruit of mulberry trees. We have one across the street from us and the squirrels LOVE it. They will intuitively only choose the ripe fruits so eating unripe fruit isn’t a problem. We routinely collect the ripe fruit and put it in bowls to provide for the wilds in our backyard in an attempt to keep them from crossing the street. .

You can absolutely give the ripe fruit and the branches and leaves to your squirrels. It’s listed on the safe plant list.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Loudhouse2 (05-22-2018)

Default Re: Mulberry tree

Thank you!! With further research it seems that only the red mulberry trees have this effect not the white or black versions. I’m unsure on what type mine is so I’ll not be giving them the leaves or branches just to be safe. (They get branches from plenty of other trees) I have a strong fear of Lincoln getting diarrhea again. Lol. I will be giving them some of the berries when they ripen.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Loudhouse2 from:

Mel1959 (05-22-2018)