Thread: Any advice for introducing squirrels that don't know eachother?

j gardiner Guest

Default Any advice for introducing squirrels that don't know eachother?

I'm searching for a new home for my little 8 wk old gray squirrel, & I'm really hoping I may find a home that already has another squirrel there. I'd really like for my little guy to have the socialization benefit of another squirrel before he is released back to the wild.

If I find such a home, do you have any tips for introducing my sqirrel to his new companion? How should they be housed initially--in separate cages, or can they go in the same cage together right away. If they're in the same cage, what is the minimum cage size required? Do they basically share everything right from the start or is it better, if they're in the same cage, to give them separate food/hanging beds etc. Any tips or ideas appreciated.

Should they be roughly the same age or does it matter? Does male/female matter? Also can gray and black squirrels be housed together in the same cage? What are signs to watch out for that it's not working out?

I've been looking thru threads but it's hard to find info on non-family squirrels that are not raised together from a young age. If there's a thread or sticky that covers this & I've missed it, just point me in the right direction, lol.

Thankyou!

Default Re: Any advice for introducing squirrels that don't know eachother?

Squirrels are solitary and while they interact with siblings and each other to a certain extent in the wild, especially if the need arises to share quarters during very cold months, and to mate, they don't get together very well after eyes open. Sibling interaction begins with snuggles and touch before eyes open and play after. I had four overwinters, all sibs, who after 4-5 months began to fight and team up as they aged. Someone here has tried as late as 9 weeks, they said, but it generally doesn't work and they don't tolerate the "intruder". I think it would be tough on the squirrel being relocated AND expected to join up with a "stranger" squirrel.

Of course, if you must get rid of her, keeping them in separate cages is a must, even if they are near one another and over time they may begin to be more comfortable with the other. I wouldn't put them in the same cage together, but they could test the waters out of a cage, after being acclimated to one another over time, and you could see if there will be fighting.

Singletons can do just fine until release given enrichment and interaction from their human.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

j gardiner Guest

I am really surprised to hear this. In my search for a new home, I have been prioritizing people that already have a squirrel, because I thought the socialization was recommended if you could find it, which--it sounds like that's not the case at all. It's weird that the rehabbers with squirrels are contacting me looking for a companion squirrel when it's not actually a good idea.

I'm just giving you advice based on the experience of rehabbers here and my own experience. If you know of rehabbers who have experience AND success putting aging babies together, you should do what you think is best. I'm not saying it's a "bad" idea, I'm just giving you caution so that neither squirrel is afraid, threatened or gets hurt, that's all.

Also, are you looking for a new home so that she can be released? Or are you looking to place her with a home who will keep her as a pet?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

j gardiner Guest

Yes, I wasn't criticizing your advice. Your advice actually made me wonder if maybe the rehabber I replied to isn't that experienced, at least not with blending/not blending squirrels, if she's looking for a companion for her squirrel. It's certainly something I'll follow up with her with more questions.

I'm definitely looking for a home where he will be released.

Oh, no problem at all. I always want people to have the information so they can make informed decisions. Lemme look around and see if I can find some thread links for more information. I've seen this question asked before.

I think you guys are talking about different ages. It is always preferable to release more than one squirrel. They always do better when released with a friend. With that said a singleton can be successfully released. I have released singletons and they do fine. I think for a fall release it would be even more important to have a friend. They will often winter together and keep each other warm. A summer release wouldn't have that consideration. I released a very close pair and one IMMEDIATELY left for 9 days and didn't seem to care about her friend. One thing I noticed is that singletons tend to stay people friendly longer than those released as a group. Depending on the setting, being 'people friendly' isn't necessarily a good thing.

I think cava is referring to the window of time when you can put squirrels together. It's more difficult to put squirrels together after 8 weeks although it is definitely possible. As they get older they can get a little grumpy with each other and want to fight. Some do fine.

By their nature grey squirrels are usually solitary in nature. They don't form units or colonies as opposed to flying squirrels which are colony dwellers. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Some releases hang together for a while, others launch out on their own. They are all different.

Thanks HRT. I am always a "better safe than sorry" kind of person when it comes to animals. I figure if I am the master of their fate, I better do a darn good job at it.

I found a couple of threads, but you're right, they're hard to come by and this is the only one specific to babies:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ht=introducing

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Asos (09-12-2019)

Vin and Charlie were a bit older when I joined them. I think like 13 weeks. But I think they are a rarity. It took a while for them to be okay with each other. Charlie really. Vin was always go with the flow. I over wintered them and just released them together at about 8 months old on Saturday. They loved each other once they got used to it. I had them in side by side cages for several weeks and they got out of cage time together as well before I joined them. Again, I think they are a rarity but it can be done.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

Asos (09-12-2019), cava (05-21-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.