Thread: Release cage exits

Default Release cage exits

Has anyone ever opened the main door of their RC for initial release, in addition to the portal? I have read that some folks only let them come and go by way of the portal and I don’t know if there is a downside to opening all the doors for an initial exit.

May doesn’t examine every inch of her cage looking for a way out, so she’s ignored the open portal this afternoon.

Default Re: Release cage exits

Maybe lure her to it with a treat a few times. Mine didn't know theirs existed until I started giving them treats through it. Granted I haven't opened it for release yet but they now know it's there where they didn't before.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

cava (04-18-2018), gunpackingrandma (05-20-2018), Mel1959 (04-18-2018)

Here's what I do:
    Take nice green branch and place it half in, half out of the little portal. This will attract their attention to the portal, both coming and going. Don't leave the big door open; it defeats the purpose of soft release which is to protect them while they are acclimating to the outdoors. JMHO
    Last edited by island rehabber; 04-18-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: speling lol
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (04-18-2018), gunpackingrandma (05-20-2018), Lighten-Up (04-19-2018), Mel1959 (04-18-2018), olorin19 (05-19-2018), Spanky (04-19-2018), stepnstone (04-19-2018)

I lured her out with a nut and she has been a hellion in the yard ever since! She has no problem chasing the smaller males and females out of her tree...and the oak tree. I’m not sure what to expect when Peeps and Nibbs return to their tree for treats and bed!?

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (04-18-2018), gunpackingrandma (05-20-2018), HRT4SQRLS (04-18-2018)

Uh oh! Hope all goes well!

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

cava (04-18-2018)

After a minimum stay in the release cage of two weeks to become acclimated I wait for a stretch of upcoming good weather then I open the main door to the RC in the morning and I shut it about a hour after dark or if I see all have returned for the evening. I continue that for about two weeks and not all are accounted for every night, it’s a transition process for both them and I. After that I just leave the RC open for anyone that may need to come by for a drink or sometimes there are snacks or a fruit flavored Tums in there. I also always keep a towel on top of the RC pitched up like a small tent for anyone that may need to get warm or take shelter for the night. I have never had a issue, works well for mine.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ClemC5:

cava (04-19-2018), Lighten-Up (04-19-2018), Mel1959 (04-19-2018)

On "opening day" I open only the small portal. After an hour or so if there are any remaining inside, I lure them out through the portal. The first night I will open the large doors (there is an antechamber) and I will help guide the little ones back inside when they come around towards (or after) sunset if they are not finding the portal. I cannot really lure them back into the portal from the outside very easily (to high off the ground for me).

If anyone is missing, I will prop the outer door open just a couple inches, very securely so it cannot be opened any further. Usually everyone returns the first few nights, and I will close up the cage so that in the morning they are once again required to use the portal to exit. It takes a few days of exiting the portal before they find it from the outside and realize it can be used as an entrance too!

I keep a nest box in the antechamber as a back up in the event someone returns way after dark... it happens... they can enter the antechamber have a safe box for the night. Sometimes I can see a new release on a limb just hanging out while the sun goes down then they seem a bit paralyzed to move after dark. There have been many times when they spend the night right high up on a limb (despite my try to lure / call them back "home").

I like Maura's idea of the branch, but my portals are very small... and I have a 4" shelf just underneath the portal on the inside, so I am thinking attacking a 6" branch on the outside at release time using a hanger bolt.... Thanks Maura!

13. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (04-19-2018), ClemC5 (04-20-2018), gunpackingrandma (05-20-2018), island rehabber (05-19-2018), Jen413 (04-19-2018), Mel1959 (04-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Here's what I do:
    Take nice green branch and place it half in, half out of the little portal. This will attract their attention to the portal, both coming and going. Don't leave the big door open; it defeats the purpose of soft release which is to protect them while they are acclimating to the outdoors. JMHO

Thanks IR

Mookie was born mid September and has been with me since about four weeks old. He has now been in his release cage for two weeks, and I was planning to release him this weekend. So, the timing of this tip could not be better!

I was going to release him this morning, but it has been raining all day. Is a rainy day release okay? Or an afternoon release if it does clear up? Or better to wait until tomorrow morning?

Any advice most welcome!

Sorry, I'm probably a little late with my advice but I don't release on rainy days. They have SO many new things to experience I don't want them to have to experience being soaked on the first day. I also don't release in the afternoon.

I like a fresh start... a nice day and an early release so they can get all their exploring out of the way the first day. Late isn't a good option either as I don't want darkness to overtake them in a short time on that first day.

Personally I would wait until tomorrow if you haven't already released.

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

gunpackingrandma (05-20-2018), olorin19 (05-19-2018), stepnstone (05-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by olorin19 View Post

I was going to release him this morning, but it has been raining all day. Is a rainy day release okay? Or an afternoon release if it does clear up? Or better to wait until tomorrow morning?

Any advice most welcome!
    I would wait. I like to watch for a 2-3 day span of good weather and then open the portal. My reasoning is that one of the first things many of them do is leap to the first tree they see and go up-up-up-UP! You sometimes will see them slip a little, or wobble and 'almost' fall.....we don't need to add slippery wet branches to THAT situation .
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

18. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

gunpackingrandma (05-20-2018), Mel1959 (05-19-2018), olorin19 (05-19-2018), stepnstone (05-19-2018)

Thanks IR & HRT4SQRLS,

I got your messages about 90 minutes after release, and it has been eventful.

Mookie explored in the area around his release cage for the first 30 minutes, moving out and back, a bit further each time.

Eventually, another squirrel came to my back fence, about 30 feet from Mookie. Once Mookie saw the other squirrel, he hopped over and they checked each other out for a minute from opposite sides of the fence, maybe 4 feet apart, both standing on hind legs. Then Mookie hopped through, and almost immediately it looked like they were playing: wrestling around all on one spot, neither making any noises, etc. It looked to me like Mookie had a friend. Then they both climbed up a mimosa tree, one after the other, and when the "wrestling" resumed, now there were frightened noises, etc. Eventually Mookie came flying down the tree, hopped back through the fence, then went straight to his cage. He was terrified and chattering, and not yet ready for Dad to check him out. I could see at least one wound on his side.

For the next little bit, he did not want me to get too close either - still stuck in terror mode. He disappeared then reappeared several times. Eventually, he did go back into his cage. While he did not yet let me hold him, he definitely has multiple wounds. I am off to get some betadyne, which I will use along with derma-gel to tend his wounds. (And yes, the cage is shut again now.)

Sigh....

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to olorin19 from:

gunpackingrandma (05-20-2018)

Don't get discouraged olorin19. It's pretty typical. They will have to work out the territorial issues. There is bound to be some bumps and bruises and a little blood.

I'm pretty sure you got a lot of practice with wound care with Dustin.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Don't get discouraged olorin19. It's pretty typical. They will have to work out the territorial issues. There is bound to be some bumps and bruises and a little blood.

I'm pretty sure you got a lot of practice with wound care with Dustin.
    Yes indeed, lots of practice with Dustin!

Dustin had the abscess from the bite wound in his ankle summer 2016, then the three abscessed wounds the next winter, but since then he has managed to get through mating season unscathed as far as I can tell

He disappeared for about six weeks this winter, then showed up again and moved right back into his nest box. Dustin was born August 2014, so he may well be the elder squirrel around these parts.

The first morning Mookie was in his release cage, Dustin was hanging out on top of what was once (actually, three times) his release cage saying hello.

Dustin comes by to take food from my hand all the time, and often comes just inside the back door, right by Mookie's indoor cage. Whenever he left, Mookie would voraciously sniff my hand. I think he has a bit of hero worship for Dustin.