Thread: Elderly squirrel issues and possible infection

Hybrid View

Default Elderly squirrel issues and possible infection

Petey is a 5 year old ground squirrel. His back legs aren't working very great and he has started having spasms sometimes. He's eating fine and still mostly does okay climbing the sides of his cage.

He isn't cleaning himself very well though, especially around his squirrel boy parts. I've been trying to clean him with water and a washcloth or qtips when he's asleep enough to let me. This morning I noticed his penis is inflamed and looks like it make have a sore on the side of it. I used a syringe with water to rinse it off since touching it kept getting a reaction from him.

Any suggestions on how to help that heal?

And also, just in general.... End of life advice is appreciated...when...how do I know... Etc. I know usually if they're still eating and drinking that's the most important sign. But I know he's getting exceptionally old for a male ground squirrel.

Thanks!
    Jennifer

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to WhistlingPete from:

Diggie's Friend (05-17-2018)

Default Re: Elderly squirrel issues and possible infection

I was thinking that the other day when you resurfaced here and it hurt my heart.

For his sore, and for cleaning him up, I would buy a bottle of Betadyne, or 10% povidone iodine as it is called generically. By all means get the cheaper generic. It will be with the wound care at any drug store. It is the red stuff that looks like blood. Dilute it for use - 20 drops in 1/4 cup water. It will become the color of iced tea - if you want to make up smaller amounts, that color is what you are looking for - and it is very forgiving. Just dab it on his sore 3 or 4 times a day - don't cover it or anything. It doesn't hurt or itch and it dries like water with no residue to make him want to fuss with the area. It is antibacterial and antifungal and it cures almost anything on the skin. It works for you, too, BTW!

I would also use a bit more diluted mixture of it to wipe him down after you clean him.

I would increase his calcium intake. How much does he get a day? The back end paralysis and spasms SCREAMS MBD. I would start getting calcium into him pronto. How much does he weigh? He is old but it is also possible that what you are seeing is something fixable...

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

SophieSquirrel (05-16-2018), Toddy (05-16-2018), TubeDriver (05-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I was thinking that the other day when you resurfaced here and it hurt my heart.

For his sore, and for cleaning him up, I would buy a bottle of Betadyne, or 10% povidone iodine as it is called generically. By all means get the cheaper generic. It will be with the wound care at any drug store. It is the red stuff that looks like blood. Dilute it for use - 20 drops in 1/4 cup water. It will become the color of iced tea - if you want to make up smaller amounts, that color is what you are looking for - and it is very forgiving. Just dab it on his sore 3 or 4 times a day - don't cover it or anything. It doesn't hurt or itch and it dries like water with no residue to make him want to fuss with the area. It is antibacterial and antifungal and it cures almost anything on the skin. It works for you, too, BTW!

I would also use a bit more diluted mixture of it to wipe him down after you clean him.

I would increase his calcium intake. How much does he get a day? The back end paralysis and spasms SCREAMS MBD. I would start getting calcium into him pronto. How much does he weigh? He is old but it is also possible that what you are seeing is something fixable...
    Thanks for all this. I thought it was MBD and I still think it might have been when he came out of hibernation this year since it was so much longer. Ive been giving him a little extra calcium and I talked to Leigh about it too. He's eating two Henry's blocks a day plus a handful of dandelions and munching on rat blocks so if he was deficient it may just not be cleared up yet.

I haven't weighed him in a bit and he's gained a lot in the last month since he woke up. I'd guess he's around 220g.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to WhistlingPete from:

SophieSquirrel (05-16-2018)

Question, has he been neutered, and if so was it before reaching sexual maturity at about a year of age?

Paralysis can be from osteoporosis due to altering. For males it is an issue if they are neutered before reaching sexual maturity.

For females it puts them into menopause. Our girl developed degenerative disc disease just 2 years after the procedure which resulted in back spasms.

We treated it with methocarbomal twice daily. .
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 08-21-2020 at 09:43 PM.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post

Question, has he been neutered, and if so was it before reaching sexual maturity at about a year of age?

Paralysis can be from osteoporosis due to altering. For males it is an issue if they are neutered before reaching sexual maturity.

For females it puts them into menopause. Our girl developed degenerative disc disease just 2 years after the procedure which resulted in back spasms.

We treated it with methocarbomal twice daily. .
    Petey is a Piute ground squirrel. The oldest females from his type are around 6-7 years and he's one of the oldest known males. I've been working with the biologist who studies them.
    And he was not neutered.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 08-21-2020 at 09:44 PM.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to WhistlingPete:

Diggie's Friend (04-27-2019), SophieSquirrel (05-16-2018), TubeDriver (05-16-2018)

WhistlingPete wrote:

Petey is a Piute ground squirrel. The oldest females from his type are around 6-7 years and he's one of the oldest known males. I've been working with the biologist who studies them.
    And he was not neutered.
    Glad to hear that he is intact. It makes sense about him being elderly as this species is smaller than the Rock and Calif. ground squirrel. I would love to see photos of your boy.

There is a nerve junction degeneration that is common in elderly rodents, this could be the cause of the paralysis. If he has degenerative disc disease it won't repair it.

As for treatment for MBD, start with whatever form of calcium you can get today, as prompt treatment is needful.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

When osteoarthritis occurs in the lumbar spine (spondylosis), degeneration of the intervertebral discs, and narrowing of the spinal canal (spinal stenosis) result. This degeneration and narrowing can cause nerve root (radiculopathy) and spinal cord compression resulting in weakness of the hind limbs progressing to hind limb paralysis. This condition is seen mainly in male rats.
    For more info read: http://ratguide.com/health/musculosk...oarthritis.php

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

SophieSquirrel (05-16-2018), WhistlingPete (05-16-2018)