Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elderly squirrel issues and possible infection

Default Re: Elderly squirrel issues and possible infection

Can you call on them to advise them? Can your sitters handle him?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

If he is dragging his hind legs, it will be important to rinse/wipe down his undersides. Urine scald is a really likely otherwise.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    If he is dragging his hind legs, it will be important to rinse/wipe down his undersides. Urine scald is a really likely otherwise.

I hadnt seen him drag like that before... More just awkward walking. In his cage he doesnt have the long runways like when he was running across the living room just now. But yeah, I've been really worried about the urine on him. Not as much because of his movement but because he is going in his sleep and then lying in it. Especially if he is sleeping on his back or side, which is most the time.

Make sure he can pee on his own too. Keep up with the calcium. Any sitters must be comfortable cleaning him up. Timing for this with your trip is the worst but that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingPete View Post
    I hadnt seen him drag like that before... More just awkward walking. In his cage he doesnt have the long runways like when he was running across the living room just now. But yeah, I've been really worried about the urine on him. Not as much because of his movement but because he is going in his sleep and then lying in it. Especially if he is sleeping on his back or side, which is most the time.

-Grateful Dead

It really is the worst timing. If it were just a vacation Id cancel. During this Petey journey I got a wild idea to switch careers from being a data researcher and get a master of divinity degree to be a Presbyterian minister. So after 4 years of school and all sorts of exams and approvals, my actual ceremony to make me a minister is back in Idaho on the 10th. I may consider shortening the trip depending on Petey though.

And Petey seems to be peeing fine. When I have him jist sleeping on me without touching him he usually soaks my shirt. Same for whateer bedding he is in. I'm doing a lot more laundry.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to WhistlingPete from:

TubeDriver (05-30-2018)

Anyone who does not mind getting peed on by a little rodent and who cares about the welfare of the least among us (almost a textbook definition of Petey) will probably make a great minister!

It really is the worst timing. If it were just a vacation Id cancel. During this Petey journey I got a wild idea to switch careers from being a data researcher and get a master of divinity degree to be a Presbyterian minister. So after 4 years of school and all sorts of exams and approvals, my actual ceremony to make me a minister is back in Idaho on the 10th. I may consider shortening the trip depending on Petey though.

And Petey seems to be peeing fine. When I have him jist sleeping on me without touching him he usually soaks my shirt. Same for whateer bedding he is in. I'm doing a lot more laundry.

-Grateful Dead

Anyone who does not mind getting peed on by a little rodent and who cares about the welfare of the least among us (almost a textbook definition of Petey) will probably make a great minister!
    Haha Thanks!

Here is a video I just took of him. Now he didn't drag his legs but you can see him bounce a little like it is kicking without him knowing. Right before this he had yawned and stretched about 6 times which I rarely see him do so I tried to catch that with no luck. He chattered for a little while before this so I thought he was in pain. But after the video he went exploring a little and then used his wheel instead of just going to sleep.

Here he is... https://youtu.be/i5MfsOL2nw4

Check the length of his bottom teeth. Without a top tooth to help wear the bottom tooth, the remaining tooth can overgrow. If they become overgrown, he will need regular trimmings. Perhaps the missing tooth will grow back in?
    grouphug
    On the tooth issue... If he is still eating the really hard rat blocks those should still we wearing down the bottom wouldnt they? When he yawned both bottoms looked to be the same length.

It is hard to watch him like this. I remember when he used to move as fast as lightning. He has such a little attitude, like grumpy old man!

He is using his rear legs to support himself but clearly is compromised. I would just continue with the MBD calcium treatment and maybe try to add some HT blocks into his diet.

Haha Thanks!

Here is a video I just took of him. Now he didn't drag his legs but you can see him bounce a little like it is kicking without him knowing. Right before this he had yawned and stretched about 6 times which I rarely see him do so I tried to catch that with no luck. He chattered for a little while before this so I thought he was in pain. But after the video he went exploring a little and then used his wheel instead of just going to sleep.

Here he is... https://youtu.be/i5MfsOL2nw4

-Grateful Dead

Blocks by themselves will not wear down the teeth. Is there anything harder that he will chew on like wood?

The fact that they are the same length is good but keep an eye out on them. In a grey squirrel, their teeth will grow in 3-4 weeks to the point that they can start puncturing the roof of the mouth and make eating difficult.

On the tooth issue... If he is still eating the really hard rat blocks those should still we wearing down the bottom wouldnt they? When he yawned both bottoms looked to be the same length.

-Grateful Dead

It is hard to watch him like this. I remember when he used to move as fast as lightning. He has such a little attitude, like grumpy old man!

He is using his rear legs to support himself but clearly is compromised. I would just continue with the MBD calcium treatment and maybe try to add some HT blocks into his diet.
    What are HT blocks? Thats not what you mentioned earlier is it? I think I'll ruin and get him some worms too. Not for the teeth but because he likes them and protein.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to WhistlingPete from:

TubeDriver (05-30-2018)

And no to chewing harder things. He never has liked any chew blocks or other things I tried. Mostly its the blocks and occasionally cardboard that he has chewed.

Have you tried dog marrow bones for his teeth. I have a dog so I buy the bones in the meat department and let my dog eat the marrow out of them. Then I give the bone to my caged squirrel. She loves to know on the bone. It not only wears her teeth down it also provides calcium. Maybe since Petey only has one top tooth he would chew on a cuttle bone. The come in flavors and also provide calcium.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

TubeDriver (05-30-2018)

Harlan Teklad 18% or 19% protein blocks.

Harlan Teklad is now called Envigo. You can order some here:

https://www.amazon.com/Envigo-Former...7710112&sr=8-2

What are HT blocks? Thats not what you mentioned earlier is it? I think I'll ruin and get him some worms too. Not for the teeth but because he likes them and protein.

-Grateful Dead

Harlan Teklad 18% or 19% protein blocks.

Harlan Teklad is now called Envigo. You can order some here:

https://www.amazon.com/Envigo-Former...7710112&sr=8-2
    Dust them with some calcium before you feed them.

I met with my friends with 9 bunnies to ask them to brainstorm with me how to care for Petey while Im away and what they do. They had a couple suggestions... One was to ask the neighbor to just handle giving him calcium (because im still doing that 4 x day) and they could help with changing bedding, cleaning and food once a day. The other suggestion was to bring him to their house in a smaller cage that he could stay in so they can make sure he is getting calcium and keep better eyes on him. The downside of that is him getting less exercise but that may not be so bad because he wouldn't be climbing and possibly hurting himself.

I wrote out all the subconscious things I do for Petey as I talked through it with my husband and a lot of it is arranging things certain ways to keep things safe in his cage.

Thoughts on having him in a smaller cage that he isnt familiar with for 8 days but that we know he will be with people who care for creatures?

I assume one option is to take him to your friends house to care for him, the other is to leave him at home and have someone come in to care for him. How stressed does Petey get when he’s in a new environment? How active is he? Would it be a significant change for him to be in a smaller cage?

Since you know Petey best you need to consider which of these options is the lesser of all evils. If you think he would be stressed to be in a new cage/environment, coupled by being cared for by someone other than you, then you have your answer. You should also consider which option is going to give you the most peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I assume one option is to take him to your friends house to care for him, the other is to leave him at home and have someone come in to care for him. How stressed does Petey get when he’s in a new environment? How active is he? Would it be a significant change for him to be in a smaller cage?

Since you know Petey best you need to consider which of these options is the lesser of all evils. If you think he would be stressed to be in a new cage/environment, coupled by being cared for by someone other than you, then you have your answer. You should also consider which option is going to give you the most peace of mind.
    If he was normal Petey, I'd leave him at home, fill an extra water and food dish, and not worry if someone came every other day. Or, when I brought him across country for the move, I had him in his bedding box in another container and he seemed mostly okay with that.

The biggest worry for me right now is keeping him clean and continuing the calcium. Right now I'm giving him calcium 4 times a day, trying to be as close to 6 hours apart as I can be. Getting people to come over reliably 4 times a day may be hard to do for 8 days. And then there is cleaning him and changing the bedding that he has soiled.

I think the advice I need may be about the calcium. He is getting 200mg per day, 50 mg each time. I know there isn't a hard and fast rule, but could we switch that to giving him a little more but 3 times a day? or 2? I've noticed a difference when it is longer between times that he gets the calcium, but in those cases I havent given him extra beforehand.

Also, last night he was more active than he's been in awhile. He ran around the living room and investigated me more than he has at all in awhile. His penis is looking much closer to normal (or maybe normal now) in size so I think that issue may be cleared up by the time we leave next week.

3 times a day would be fine for the calcium.

Can you set him up now in a cage that is small enough to bring him to your friends - give him a chance to get used to it and to tweak it for a few days before you leave him there?

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

TubeDriver (05-31-2018)

Well Petey seems to be pretty stable now. When we move him or give him calcium now he is usually awake just by us opening the cage. (Versus sleeping through me cleaning him and moving him around). He is still eating and drinking well. I do think he probably had an infection or some bug that has cleared up so he isn't as groggy.

I ended up with 5 people willing.to come give him calcium and one friend who fosters bunnies (they have 9 currently) . Between them they will make sure petey gets calcium, food and water and he can stay in his cage instead of being moved around.

25. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to WhistlingPete:

cava (06-04-2018), Diggie's Friend (09-26-2018), Mel1959 (06-04-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12