Thread: 4 year old foxers fur is puffed out like he is cold but is acting normal

Default 4 year old foxers fur is puffed out like he is cold but is acting normal

he is almost 4 years old, i follow the nutrition chart. for the past few days his fur looks puffed up like he is cold. He is acting normal but be does seem to be more hungry than usual. He also has been gaining weight mostly in the abdominal area . He is peeing and pooping. Tonight i noticed his poops are really really big and kinda smell bad. Maybe he is just full of lots if poop because he had been eating so much. I keep teklad and monkey biscuits in his house all the time. He normally does not eat them too much but lately he has been chowing down on them. He also has been eating all his Henry's and he normally does not eat them all. I have the urine test strips and just checked his urine for glucose and blood both came out ok on this sample. I do have a safe vet i could take him to if need be but not wanting to have to sedate him for exam and bloodwork. Worried mom over here.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rexie:

cava (05-15-2018), SophieSquirrel (05-14-2018)

Default Re: 4 year old foxers fur is puffed out like he is cold but is acting normal

I am thinking parasites here. Voracious appetite, distended abdomen, dehydration possibly causing the puffed-up fur and stinky poop sounds like some type of worm or parasite. He needs a wormer that is specific or safe for squirrels. If it is tapeworm it can be life-threatening. Strongid-T is often used safely, as well as fenbendazole (Panacur) and ivermectin. Maybe your vet can advise?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Diggie's Friend (05-14-2018), Mel1959 (05-14-2018), Rexie (05-14-2018), SophieSquirrel (05-14-2018)

Default Re: 4 year old foxers fur is puffed out like he is cold but is acting normal

ok great.. thanks for the idea. i work for a vet i will take a poop sample in for testing asap. where could he have picked up parasites i wonder??

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rexie from:

SophieSquirrel (05-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I am thinking parasites here. Voracious appetite, distended abdomen, dehydration possibly causing the puffed-up fur and stinky poop sounds like some type of worm or parasite. He needs a wormer that is specific or safe for squirrels. If it is tapeworm it can be life-threatening. Strongid-T is often used safely, as well as fenbendazole (Panacur) and ivermectin. Maybe your vet can advise?
    A thought i had today is possible Thyroid issues. Has anyone heard or dealt with that problem?

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rexie:

Diggie's Friend (05-14-2018), SophieSquirrel (05-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Rexie View Post
    A thought i had today is possible Thyroid issues. Has anyone heard or dealt with that problem?
    I honestly don't know anything about thyroid issues in squirrels, but presumably it could happen to any mammal.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Rexie (05-14-2018), SophieSquirrel (05-14-2018)

Our foxers always puffed their coats during their spring molt, when temperatures vary.

As far as thyroid function goes, if the diet is high in uncooked Brassica greens and stalked vegetables, soymeal, yams, cassava, etc. that contain higher amounts of 'goitrogenic' compounds that negatively impact the function of the parathyroid gland, this can lend to the development of obesity.

Thankfully boiling the greens deactivates most of the 'goitrogens' that they contain. For soymeal in block the only option to remove soy from the diet is to switch to a block that doesn't contain soymeal, like HHB, or the Envigo HT 2016 global rodent diet.

Our female foxer loved the block a bit too much as an adult and became grossly obese compared to our other girl. Exercise didn't seem to help either. Sadly we didn't know then about these compounds in common foods as we do now. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...foods#section3

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

SophieSquirrel (05-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Rexie View Post
    I've never heard of it but I am sure it has happened. How many people can even get a blood panel on a squirrel from a competent vet....
    I would start with a Lab fecal and see what turns up. If you weigh your squirrel in grams your vet can properly dose Panacur etc if indicated as necessary to treat parasites. Could also be a low grade infection so if the fecal turns up negative I would consider an antibiotic - just consult with your vet.

When I see puffed fur (usually with lethargy) in a rodent it's a sure sign there is a medical issue. Squirrels do a good job at hiding discomfort.

I hope the test and the vet will shed some light on what is presently ailing your boy; it's hard when you don't know what's causing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Our foxers always puffed their coats during their spring molt, when temperatures vary.

As far as thyroid function goes, if the diet is high in uncooked Brassica greens and stalked vegetables, soymeal, yams, cassava, etc. that contain higher amounts of 'goitrogenic' compounds that negatively impact the function of the parathyroid gland, this can lend to the development of obesity.

Thankfully boiling the greens deactivates most of the 'goitrogens' that they contain. For soymeal in block the only option to remove soy from the diet is to switch to a block that doesn't contain soymeal, like HHB, or the Envigo HT 2016 global rodent diet.

Our female foxer loved the block a bit too much as an adult and became grossly obese compared to our other girl. Exercise didn't seem to help either. Sadly we didn't know then about these compounds in common foods as we do now. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...foods#section3
    Thank you for the information. He is molting right now so i hope that's contributing to the puffed up fur. He eats the picky HHB but i will start checking the i ingredients on the other foods and treats he gets. As for the greens he is not a fan and hardly even touches them. I do give sweet potatos and squash more than I should. I am still trying to get his diet right😐

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rexie from:

Mel1959 (05-15-2018)

Making boo balls by grinding rodent block like Harlan Teklad and adding green baby foods and coconut (pumpkin or avocado) oil to bind it all together is a great way to get some green foods in him, if he will eat them.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (05-15-2018), Diggie's Friend (05-15-2018), Rexie (05-15-2018)

I hope so also. When our squirrels puffed their fur it was from the top of the head to over their backs; yet as shared, puffing when accompanied by lethargy, is a sign of feeling poorly in rodents.

Organic baked squash is a good choice; it is lower in sugars and is not goitrogenic. My squirrel diet includes bake winter squash (butternut, acorn) as a daily staple; Our girl lived to 11 was given this food daily. It is a good source of fiber, and baked is higher per measure in beta carotene than raw, as well as far easier to digest that these animal need in captivity. Just don't' feed too much of it, moreover about one half Tablespoon split fed AM and PM daily.

A good surrogate source for the pod seeds these squirrels consume in the wild, is organic boiled peas; it is high plant protein, and has a positive Ca:P ratio when boiled.

Organic "Styrian" pumpkin seeds limited to a few seeds a day because they are higher in plant fats that are good for them, just not too much of a good thing in this case as it can tip the Ca:P ratio too close, is also a very good source of Vitamin K1, and highest in magnesium over other seeds and nuts, and low in oxalates so that it doesn't lower calcium in other foods it is ingested with. Ground mushroom powder is also a good source of protein and trace minerals. (PM me for source).

Organic Low fat yogurt (Green Valley Lactose free), one half Tbsp., adding a drop of Organic Chia oil, or cut up organic berries or fresh fruits added in season, instead of giving overly processed and sweetened yogurt, is also a very good choice as it is high in calcium, and low in sugars.

Adding a drop of organic chia oil from "Foods Alive" a food grade source, not one of the cheaper carrier oil sources used with cosmetics, may peak your squirrels interest in leafy greens. Of the non goitrogenic sources that are the least bitter, baby (green) Oak leaf, and Frise' lettuces are best. Baby chicory, escarole, watercress, Kale, baby Bok choy blanched for two minutes that lowers the 'goitrogens' they contain. For the heavier greens, and cabbages, blanching (6 to 8) minutes (removing them before them become green glop) is recommended.

In any case, all green leafy for at least 1 1/2 min. and stalked vegetables 5 min. should be blanched in order to destroy possible bad bacteria, and/or endoparasites that degrade the digestive health of squirrels.

Pre-probiotics (soil based organisms) that squirrels require once weaned; good bacteria helps to counter bad bacteria in the gut, digestion. Two products with the same name on Amazon.com. "Pet Flora" are excellent sources of (SBO), one from Safer Medical of MT, and the other from Vitality Science of NM ; price point wise the one from Safer Medical is presently the better deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Flora-Spe.../dp/B073G9K4XV

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Rexie (05-15-2018), SophieSquirrel (05-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    I've never heard of it but I am sure it has happened. How many people can even get a blood panel on a squirrel from a competent vet....
    I would start with a Lab fecal and see what turns up. If you weigh your squirrel in grams your vet can properly dose Panacur etc if indicated as necessary to treat parasites. Could also be a low grade infection so if the fecal turns up negative I would consider an antibiotic - just consult with your vet.

When I see puffed fur (usually with lethargy) in a rodent it's a sure sign there is a medical issue. Squirrels do a good job at hiding discomfort.
    Thank you for the reply, its unfortunate we cant get good medical care for our beloved squees because of who and what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Making boo balls by grinding rodent block like Harlan Teklad and adding green baby foods and coconut (pumpkin or avocado) oil to bind it all together is a great way to get some green foods in him, if he will eat them.
    great idea will give it a try, sounds pretty easy as i am not a big fan of cooking, lol

here is a update on my boys situation. today he pooped a Ton i mean alot. I gave him apple and prune juice for the last 2 nights. His bloated abdomen is much better and he is not as puffed up either. I suspect he has been just eating way too many of his monkey biscuits and teklad blocks and a few other treats i keep in his house. I have always had those snack items in his house and he has never ate them like he has been the last few weeks. So from now on I will limit the amount since the boy decided to pig out on them. I am just so thrilled he is better today, just is normal chubby belly nothing like it was. He scared me. thanks everyone😉
    I

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rexie from:

Diggie's Friend (05-16-2018)

YIPPI So glad your boy is feeling better!
    Squammy to Tod

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Toddy from:

Rexie (05-16-2018)