Thread: can anyone help diagnosis this little guy?

Hybrid View

roberta Guest

Default can anyone help diagnosis this little guy?

Hello, I feed a number of Eastern Gray Squirrels in my backyard and one of them is obviously not well, he keeps falling over whenever he walks and hits his head on things. Sometimes he has to lie down to eat a nut as he has trouble standing upright. He's been like that for 2-3 months now and does not seem to be getting better or a lot worse, but I have no idea what is wrong with him. Unfortunately, here in Oregon no vet is allowed to treat Eastern Grays so there is probably nothing I can do for him, but I would still like to know what is wrong with him. Any thoughts folks? Thank you!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to roberta from:

SophieSquirrel (05-13-2018)

Default Re: can anyone help diagnosis this little guy?

Sounds like an equilibrium problem due to a head injury, roundworm, inner ear infection or it got into a toxic substance. I'll bet I can find a vet that will treat courtesy of a contact at the Oregon Zoo if you can catch him.

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

4Puddles (05-14-2018), Diggie's Friend (03-06-2019), Toddy (05-14-2018)

roberta Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    Sounds like an equilibrium problem due to a head injury, roundworm, inner ear infection or it got into a toxic substance. I'll bet I can find a vet that will treat courtesy of a contact at the Oregon Zoo if you can catch him.
    Thank you so much! We did catch him once only to find out that no one would take him, after I phoned several vets and the Audobon Society. If you can find a vet who will treat him I will try again to catch him. The poor little thing is so vulnerable to predators in his current state, many thanks! I am in Portland, by the way.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to roberta:

island rehabber (05-14-2018), Toddy (05-14-2018)

Oregon is dicey; most squirrel rescues will euthanize E. Grays if you leave them there, as they choose to view them as competition with the Western gray,

this despite that a study showed that isn't a real issue, only an imagined one.

I have a contact in Portland; they have a supportive vet that helps them with these squirrels.

Just PM me to let me know if you would like them to help, and I will do my best to set that up for you.

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

island rehabber (05-14-2018), missPixy (05-14-2018), redwuff (05-14-2018), Toddy (05-14-2018), TubeDriver (05-14-2018)

roberta Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Oregon is dicey; most squirrel rescues will euthanize E. Grays if you leave them there, as they choose to view them as competition with the Western gray,

this despite that a study showed that isn't a real issue, only an imagined one.

I have a contact in Portland; they have a supportive vet that helps them with these squirrels.

Just PM me to let me know if you would like them to help, and I will do my best to set that up for you.
    Yes, please, thank you!! Yes it's an outdated law that makes no sense anymore. I'm not sure how to PM you via this board, I'm new here. Could you please PM me and I'll respond? - Roberta

Yes at this point the damage is done and euthanizing makes no sense as the population is firmly established. I just got finished having this discussion with someone regarding releasing northern gray sub-species in Florida "just to get them in the trees". Doing so would basically cause the same problem for the genetic code of the invaded southern sub-species and is no different than what is going on with Eastern Grays on the west coast. the problem in England is way worse with red populations being decimated by grays! In Florida there is an idiot with Prevosts in flimsy outdoor cages that can get loose in a storm and ruin the environment by breeding like the pouched rats in the keys.

Oregon should be more concerned about the feral house cat problem than Eastern Grays. Feral cat lover's here ya go: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...-year-7814590/

Now the more aggressive black squirrels with their higher testosterone are taking over the grays is England: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/190...-squirrel.html

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.