Thread: House Plant Danger? Ate a small piece

Default House Plant Danger? Ate a small piece

Good evening all,

My NR squirrel managed to eat a small piece of a leaf. I grabbed it from him before he could eat any more. I was getting rid of the plant when he snatched a leaf. Now I'm worried sick that it will harm him. I don't know the exact name but it looks like Syngonium podophyllum.

Any advice please and thank you.

He's acting normal and did cough after I took it from him but he's eating and playing like normal.

Thanks again.

Default Re: House Plant Danger? Ate a small piece

Reading about that plant it says that animals can experience irritated stomach and diarrhea. You might want to offer extra water to help flush it out of his system and watch him for any signs of distress.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LittleAngel (05-14-2018)

That plant is listed as toxic. It causes upset stomach and vomiting. I would try to hydrate him as much as is possible and watch him closely for the next 24 hours. My guess is that a tiny piece of that leaf will not do him any major harm but hydration will help flush it through his system faster.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAngel View Post
    Good evening all,

My NR squirrel managed to eat a small piece of a leaf. I grabbed it from him before he could eat any more. I was getting rid of the plant when he snatched a leaf. Now I'm worried sick that it will harm him. I don't know the exact name but it looks like Syngonium podophyllum.

Any advice please and thank you.

He's acting normal and did cough after I took it from him but he's eating and playing like normal.

Thanks again.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

LittleAngel (05-14-2018)

Thank you Mel1959 and TubeDriver for your info. He's doing fine and had no problems -- whew!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LittleAngel from:

TubeDriver (05-14-2018)

Glad to hear that. . Thank you for letting us know.

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Just an FYI about houseplants from an incurable green thumb... With the exception of cacti and succulents, the vast majority of "houseplants" are tropical - because they thrive in our warm homes and don't require seasonal changes that we DON'T have inside. And the means of protection that MOST tropical plants use is toxicity. It ranges from tummy ache to death but the fact is that probably 2/3 of the plants in anyone's house are poisonous in some manner. So unless you want to research every one, it is safest to regard them ALL as bad and just keep them away from your squirrels.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

cava (05-15-2018), Diggie's Friend (05-14-2018)

Looks like the toxic component is Oxalic acid. It's nasty stuff but I doubt a small bit would be lethal. I think the biggest concern would be diahreah, like others have said.

If the poor little one does get diahreah, support with lots of Pedialyte.
    Sciurus meus amicum optimum est!

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to niapet from:

Diggie's Friend (05-14-2018)

Based on the amount consumed it is doubtful this would cause calcification of the kidneys leading to death; yet best not to feed a squirrel right after such an episode, as the oxalic acid that the plant leaves and stems contain is highly acidic and corrosive, which can cause swelling in the throat if enough is ingested, that could cut off of the airway.

Some of these tropical plants contain compounds that can stop the heart.

Best to remove these pretty, but potentially deadly tropical plants from your home if you care for squirrels. Giving these plants away to friends or relatives, that don't have squirrels or other small mammal pets living in their home, can make their day, and may potentially save your squirrel's life at the same time.