Thread: Relocating Squirrel

Default Relocating Squirrel

I didn't want to have to do this, but the little red isn't giving me many options. I have captured and removed from my soffit a little red at least a half dozen times. No matter what I do, she gets back in. There's a GIGANTIC tree next to my house, so cutting it down is not an option. I live near many wooded areas. Any suggestions as to how and when to relocate would be appreciated.

I really feel bad having to do this, but I can't have her keep having babies in my soffit/attic.

Default Re: Relocating Squirrel

Does she have babies in there now?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

stepnstone (05-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Does she have babies in there now?
    I don't think so. I just built and hung a nest box for 3 babies about 3 months old. They were in my soffit as well. I assume they're hers. Could she possibly have new babies already?

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamH4 View Post
    I didn't want to have to do this, but the little red isn't giving me many options. I have captured and removed from my soffit a little red at least a half dozen times. No matter what I do, she gets back in. There's a GIGANTIC tree next to my house, so cutting it down is not an option. I live near many wooded areas. Any suggestions as to how and when to relocate would be appreciated.

I really feel bad having to do this, but I can't have her keep having babies in my soffit/attic.
    Same thing happened to a friend of mine in the Midwest that tried a number of times to relocate a red squirrel. Finally she moved the squirrel farther away, at least 10 miles to 15 miles out, where there was a similar habitat with mature pines and spruce, mixed with hardwood trees, along with other red squirrels. Be sure to take along a cache of hazelnuts, and pinecones to support the squirrel till it can establish its own territory and begin building its own midden. Ask around to see if you have a friend who has a friend, or relative that has a wooded lot that would like to have another red squirrel on their property, but not for hunting purposes of course.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

WilliamH4 (05-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Same thing happened to a friend of mine in the Midwest that tried a number of times to relocate a red squirrel. Finally she moved the squirrel farther away, at least 10 miles to 15 miles out, where there was a similar habitat with mature pines and spruce, mixed with hardwood trees, along with other red squirrels. Be sure to take along a cache of hazelnuts, and pinecones to support the squirrel till it can establish its own territory and begin building its own midden. Ask around to see if you have a friend who has a friend, or relative that has a wooded lot that would like to have another red squirrel on their property, but not for hunting purposes of course.
    Maybe I'll try once more to lock her out of my soffit/attic. If she wouldn't have babies in there, it's really not a problem. She hasn't messed with anything at all as far as I can tell. But cutting into my walls to save baby squirrels all the time is getting old (although they are very cute). I didn't even think about making sure there were other Reds wherever I might take her. I don't want her to be by herself. Geez louise, caring about the welfare of critters can be stressful and labor intensive.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to WilliamH4 from:

Mel1959 (05-12-2018)