Thread: Baby chipmunk

Default Baby chipmunk

My bosses cat caught a baby chipmunk and I am not sure what to do for it. Does anyone know how old it is? The eyes are open and it has tiny incisors but does has not tried to bite me yet. I cannot see any obvious wounds on it, but I am worried about putting it back out in the yard since there are many outdoor cats around. Does it need formula? How about a heating pad? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Name:  72D51183-96D8-4ECE-B784-5DACCC9BB371.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  82.7 KBName:  0F989EC5-A0F6-4DB5-8D76-B7CCA0875460.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  80.4 KB
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

Nancy in New York (05-11-2018), stepnstone (05-12-2018)

Default Re: Baby chipmunk

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puddles View Post
    My bosses cat caught a baby chipmunk and I am not sure what to do for it. Does anyone know how old it is? The eyes are open and it has tiny incisors but does has not tried to bite me yet. I cannot see any obvious wounds on it, but I am worried about putting it back out in the yard since there are many outdoor cats around. Does it need formula? How about a heating pad? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Name:  72D51183-96D8-4ECE-B784-5DACCC9BB371.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  82.7 KBName:  0F989EC5-A0F6-4DB5-8D76-B7CCA0875460.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  80.4 KB

If this is cat caught he needs Baytril or Cipro OR Clavamox or Augmentin.
    Even cat saliva can be deadly.
    You will need a weight on him in grams.
    That may also help someone with chipmunk knowledge to
    determine the age.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

4Puddles (05-11-2018)

Give me one minute and I will scan the information from the WMB book and post it here.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

4Puddles (05-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

If this is cat caught he needs Baytril or Cipro OR Clavamox or Augmentin.
    Even cat saliva can be deadly.
    You will need a weight on him in grams.
    That may also help someone with chipmunk knowledge to
    determine the age.
    Should I start an antibiotic even though I do not see any wounds? When I get home from work I will get a weight.
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 4Puddles from:

Nancy in New York (05-11-2018)

Read the very last line of this one.
    They suggest Baytril for cat caught babies.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

4Puddles (05-11-2018), stepnstone (05-12-2018)

Should I start an antibiotic even though I do not see any wounds? When I get home from work I will get a weight.
    Yes I would.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Grinderhead (05-11-2018), stepnstone (05-12-2018)

Nancy, I will start Cipro when I get home this evening!

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

Grinderhead (05-11-2018), Nancy in New York (05-11-2018), stepnstone (05-12-2018)

4P,

Check out this link: http://www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/chipmunkcare.htm

Use the chart in the link and at the proper release time bring him to a state park with lots of crags, hills and fallen trees where he can dig a safe burrow away from cats.

Good chipmunk habitat

Name:  Chipmunk.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  138.0 KB

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

4Puddles (05-11-2018), cava (05-12-2018)

The sweet little one is 20 grams. I am having a very hard time getting any rehydration formula into her because she freezes out of fear. She does open her mouth part way to show me her bitty teeth that look like they just started coming in, but I am afraid to put too much liquid into her mouth out of concern of aspiration. She did swallow a few drops. Since she is fully furred I was reading that she should not need any supplemental heat...does anyone know if this is true? Any suggestions/experience with chipmunks would be welcomed. Also, is there any chance someone knows a good/trusted rehabber in the Northern Virginia/Maryland area that I could bring her to? If she is going to need formula feedings more often than 2 times a day, I will have a very difficult time providing her with the care she needs.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 4Puddles from:

Nancy in New York (05-11-2018)

The sweet little one is 20 grams. I am having a very hard time getting any rehydration formula into her because she freezes out of fear. She does open her mouth part way to show me her bitty teeth that look like they just started coming in, but I am afraid to put too much liquid into her mouth out of concern of aspiration. She did swallow a few drops. Since she is fully furred I was reading that she should not need any supplemental heat...does anyone know if this is true? Any suggestions/experience with chipmunks would be welcomed. Also, is there any chance someone knows a good/trusted rehabber in the Northern Virginia/Maryland area that I could bring her to? If she is going to need formula feedings more often than 2 times a day, I will have a very difficult time providing her with the care she needs.
    Try holding her in a piece of fleece and cover her eyes with it while you attempt to feed.
    Hopefully this will work for you.
    I would offer heat for her, set on low under half of her container.
    Put alot of fleece in there so if she gets too warm she can climb to the top.

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

4Puddles (05-12-2018), Diggie's Friend (05-11-2018), island rehabber (05-12-2018)

PM farm mom and see what she recommends and if she knows a rehabber.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

4Puddles (05-12-2018)

Have you been able to place the chippie?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

4Puddles (05-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Have you been able to place the chippie?
    Nothing concrete yet but I think I have found someone to take her on Monday. She is hanging in there so far and has gained 4 grams.

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

Nancy in New York (05-13-2018), redwuff (05-12-2018), Toddy (05-14-2018)

Little chippie girl made it safely to a wonderful rehabber! Thank you everyone for your help

28. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

Diggie's Friend (05-14-2018), Nancy in New York (05-14-2018), redwuff (05-14-2018)