Thread: Snake !!!

Default Snake !!!

Yesterday i went outside to clean out some weeds out of a release cage i havent used in a long time. I reached down to pull out a tall weed when i almost grabbed a rat snake wrapped around a branch. I thought i was going to die from a snake bite or have a heart attack . I first thought copperhead! Omg! I grabbed a hoe and pulled it out of cage and killed it. Then i got a closer look and saw it was a rat snake. Either way not good! Everyone please be aware. They are hungry and spring is here. Someone said if you look at their eyes you can tell the difference. Round pupils are nonpoisonous and eyes with slits are poisonous. I said yea but im not going to get close enough to look at his eyes! Lol

Default Re: Snake !!!

Most poisonous snakes are obvious by a very pronounced triangular shaped head. Rat snakes are actually good snakes—unless you have baby squirrels. As to the eyes. Don’t think I would determine a snake’s poisonous status by eyes. Look on the net. The difference is very easy to see in MOST cases.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

stepnstone (05-11-2018), TubeDriver (05-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Most poisonous snakes are obvious by a very pronounced triangular shaped head. Rat snakes are actually good snakes—unless you have baby squirrels. As to the eyes. Don’t think I would determine a snake’s poisonous status by eyes. Look on the net. The difference is very easy to see in MOST cases.
    Yea I’m not afraid of snakes. I usually grabbed them up and throw them in the woods. But this one had a triangular shape head but a little narrow. It was hard to tell at first. I felt bad I killed it but I can’t have him around. Mostly I see black ones.

Sorry you were scared, but I am against killing non poisonous snakes....even if they do scare the crap out of you, they have a purpose.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (05-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Sorry you were scared, but I am against killing non poisonous snakes....even if they do scare the crap out of you, they have a purpose.
    I know. I don’t kill snakes but this one surprised me and I thought ‘copperhead’ and I killed it. When I realized it was a rat snake I felt bad. I catch them around my house and take them off to keep them away from cages. I don’t to kill anything. Rat snakes eat poisonous snakes as well.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BamaHam from:

Mel1959 (05-11-2018)