Thread: First foods for Yakko, Wakko and Dot.

Default First foods for Yakko, Wakko and Dot.

Hello. My guys are 6 1/2 weeks and just started on their Henry's Rodent blocks. Ive had them since 1 week. As I read this is the first solid food I introduced them to. My question is how long should I let them get used to it before I introduce a veggie? My next question is can anyone recommend a good water bottle? I bought a cheap one from Meijer and it leaked every bit out. Thank you everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: First foods for Yakko, Wakko and Dot.

At their young age, I would not give them more than 1 Henry Block per day, since HHB's are supplements to a healthy diet, not a complete diet. Starter foods at my place are

*leafy dark greens like kale, escarole, and dandelion leaves
    *raw sweet potato or, even better, Korean sweet potato (yama, the kind that are purple outside and pure white inside)
    *cruciform veggies like broccoli & cauliflower

Start them early with these, otherwise it is very difficult to get them to eat them later. I don't offer the veggie version of squirrel crack -- sugar snap peas!! -- until they are truly eating their healthy veggies.

Are you raising to release (hope so! ) If so, you may want to offer a high-quality rodent block such as Teklad 2016 or Oxbow Rat & Mouse. These become a large portion of their diet as they grow to release age (16+ weeks)

IMHO, the only water bottles worth a damn are made by Lixit, and you often have to find them online. Henry's had a very good bottle a few years ago but in all honestly it was a pain in the butt to install -- so many parts LOL. Don't buy Hartz Mountain or Superpet bottles -- garbage.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (05-05-2018), Dianad1277 (05-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dianad1277 View Post
    My next question is can anyone recommend a good water bottle? I bought a cheap one from Meijer and it leaked every bit out. Thank you everyone.

This was just suggested in another thread this morning.
    I always use the glass ones as well, but I've never tried this.
    It's suppose to be an excellent choice!
    If the bottle drips, try pushing the rubber gasket in a little more securely.
    I use the back of a tooth brush and go around, and that usually does the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/Lixit-Glass-W...s+water+bottle

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

I recommend that when you do start giving veggies, always give the block first. Mine get their blocks while I prepare their veggie buffets and I keep this routine right up until release. Same with the NR's, block first, veggies after.

Only after they have eaten their block do they get the veggie menagerie.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

I've always had luck with the Kaytee glass water bottles and they're down the street at the pet store when so when I get another unexpected guest I can grab one quick. I have four in use now and none of them leak, they're easy to clean and hang with a spring wire so it's easy to relocate and move around.

That being said, I ALWAYS have a bowl of water in the cage that is changed 1-2 x a day. It's the most important part of their diet and should be fresh and available at all times.

I also feed first foods the way Island Rehabber does it and I use Harlan Teklad (Envigo) rodent blocks here.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Dianad1277 (05-07-2018), Nancy in New York (05-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    I've always had luck with the Kaytee glass water bottles and they're down the street at the pet store when so when I get another unexpected guest I can grab one quick. I have four in use now and none of them leak, they're easy to clean and hang with a spring wire so it's easy to relocate and move around.
    That's what I've always use as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s+water+bottle
    BUT I just saw a post from HRT4SQRLS about the other
    one I posted about.
    I've only used the Kaytee but figured if HRT recommended
    the other one, it HAS to be great.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    That's what I've always use as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s+water+bottle
    BUT I just saw a post from HRT4SQRLS about the other
    one I posted about.
    I've only used the Kaytee but figured if HRT recommended
    the other one, it HAS to be great.
    I thought the same thing, SS likes them too. I'll be sure to check them out!

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Nancy in New York (05-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    At their young age, I would not give them more than 1 Henry Block per day, since HHB's are supplements to a healthy diet, not a complete diet. Starter foods at my place are

*leafy dark greens like kale, escarole, and dandelion leaves
    *raw sweet potato or, even better, Korean sweet potato (yama, the kind that are purple outside and pure white inside)
    *cruciform veggies like broccoli & cauliflower

Start them early with these, otherwise it is very difficult to get them to eat them later. I don't offer the veggie version of squirrel crack -- sugar snap peas!! -- until they are truly eating their healthy veggies.

Are you raising to release (hope so! ) If so, you may want to offer a high-quality rodent block such as Teklad 2016 or Oxbow Rat & Mouse. These become a large portion of their diet as they grow to release age (16+ weeks)

IMHO, the only water bottles worth a damn are made by Lixit, and you often have to find them online. Henry's had a very good bottle a few years ago but in all honestly it was a pain in the butt to install -- so many parts LOL. Don't buy Hartz Mountain or Superpet bottles -- garbage.
    Thank you! Yes I am definitely raising for release. I have very energetic, healthy babies. I would never want to keep them in a cage their whole life. I will miss them terribly, but I look forward to letting them be the squirrels they need to be. We are currently building their soft release cage. I will definitely order the water bottle. Thank you again for your info. Much appreciated.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Dianad1277 from:

Nancy in New York (05-07-2018)