Thread: Wild girl with limp tail & not using back leg

Default Wild girl with limp tail & not using back leg

HI guys! Been awhile since I posted...not been lucky enough to get any babies this season! However, my releases & wild guys are keeping me plenty busy with squirrel love, and worms, mange, etc!

Which brings me here....so I have a wild girl Sugar, full grown female adult, that comes & sees me almost everyday for handouts. She is precious & a very gentle, calm girl. She was the one with the bump on her face in the last post I did - gave her antibiotics for 7-10 days & it went away nicely. Well, i just realized a few days ago that I hadn't seen her in about 2 weeks or so. I figured she might have babies & she wasnt venturing out far (she lives a few houses over). Well, this morning she showed up with a 100% limp tail and a hind leg not working. UGH. She was able to traverse the fence line, climb up & down. But shes hobbling & wobbly. Cant zig-zag or move crazy fast. Could barely jump up onto the picnic bench. She puts most of her weight on the other back leg. No blood, no gashes, no obvious outward sign of trauma. She will "sit" on her leg/haunches but her foot on the injured leg is not working - her toes arent spread or splayed with nails gripping. Her foot is just kind of limp & toes closed (like a dog paw). But not deformed or bent weird - it sits like a normal leg. And her tail is flat & drags/lays behind her. She looks good - fur is nice, she's plump, no blood or boo-boos. She ate like crazy - HBB's with coconut oil & some avocado. She doesnt seem in pain at all - looked a little tired to me. So I told her not to go anywhere & I went inside to get some metacam on a HBB to give her....came back out & the little bugger was half way down the back neighbors fence & gone. Drove one street over but couldnt find her. Im hoping she comes back tonight for dinner. Im not sure trapping her is an option as I have about 25 releases & wilds that come 2x a day for handouts. Gets kind of chaotic when they all show up. And I dont know where her nest is. I was thinking I could try & get her in the release cage but Im worried if she has babies & I lock her up ,t hey will die. She doesnt have any protruding or dark vest buttons (nips) so not not thinking she has babies, but dont know for sure.

I want to help this girl as she is one of my favorite sweet wilds. She comes right over to me, will climb my leg, sit next to me, eat out of my hand. When she had the face bump, she let me feel her face but I dont think she will let me feel her leg but I can try. Is metacam the best way to go? I have some left over but not much - maybe 3 days worth. I do have prednisolone (pill & liquid) - and I know the 2 cant be mixed. Is one better than the other? Or should I go prednisolone since I have more of it? After she ran off this morning, she didnt get any meds so far. I have a ton of antibiotics but Im not really sure she needs any. Im thinking a fall & its maybe a spinal injury since the leg & tail are limp. I have a vet I can take her too but not sure I can capture her. I read up on other threads with similar issues...shes too fast to throw a blanket over. She almost seemed unphased by her leg & tail. I can certainly medicate her no problem, if & when she shows up. Thats a for sure. Thoughts? I love my Sugar & dont want her to get picked off or hurt worse.

Default Re: Wild girl with limp tail & not using back leg

She needs to be contained if treatment is going to help...
    She is very vulnerable to predators and subject to causing more damage to injury.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Jennefer (04-26-2018)

You want to determine if she is a nursing mother before you bring her inside for treatment--you mentioned you thought she may have babies. If you suspect she is, you may have to treat her daily with meds on food unless you know where the babies are. Something to consider (because you don't already have enough )

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Jennefer (04-26-2018)

Step - UGH I was afraid you'd say that! I was hoping to treat her w/out capture since she's getting around, but I do worry about her. So you think it's a fall or spinal injury? No swelling at all. Looks like a normal leg.

Im thinking like Cava - how do you tell "for sure" they have babies? I cant imagine she's had this injury for 2 weeks & just been hanging out in nest alone. She doesnt look like she's lost weight either. I have some serious eaters that would risk running through a pack of hawks to get their daily snacks & not miss a chance to eat. I know my mama squirrel had very pronounced & dark nipples when she was nursing....and the hair around them was matted down from babies nursing. Sugar has none of that. Im not even sure she will come back tonight or tomorrow. If belly appearance alone can tell me whether or not she has babies, then I'll try to get her in the release cage.

What about meds in case she does come back? Metacam but only 3 days worth, or prednisolone since I have plenty of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennefer View Post
    Step - UGH I was afraid you'd say that! I was hoping to treat her w/out capture since she's getting around, but I do worry about her. So you think it's a fall or spinal injury? No swelling at all. Looks like a normal leg.

Im thinking like Cava - how do you tell "for sure" they have babies? I cant imagine she's had this injury for 2 weeks & just been hanging out in nest alone. She doesnt look like she's lost weight either. I have some serious eaters that would risk running through a pack of hawks to get their daily snacks & not miss a chance to eat. I know my mama squirrel had very pronounced & dark nipples when she was nursing....and the hair around them was matted down from babies nursing. Sugar has none of that. Im not even sure she will come back tonight or tomorrow. If belly appearance alone can tell me whether or not she has babies, then I'll try to get her in the release cage.
    What about meds in case she does come back? Metacam but only 3 days worth, or prednisolone since I have plenty of it?
    That is what you'd look for.

The limp tail and leg does suggest a spinal / nerve involvement of some nature.

Personally considering her suspected injury I'd treat with Prednisone.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Jennefer (04-27-2018)

Ok good to know....Sugar has none of that so she must not have babies. She was a no show last night. I walked the neighborhood looking for her but didnt see her. Hoping she comes out for breakfast today.

I have prednisolone liquid 10mg/ml and pills that are 5mg. Prefer to use the liquid since its already mixed. Can someone calculate dosing for me please? Assuming Sugar is around 500 grams. Remember im in florida & our grays are smaller than most. Heres 2 photos of Sugar pre-leg & tail issue if it helps.
    Thanks guys!!
    Name:  20180225_104702.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  155.6 KBName:  20180225_104420.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  112.1 KB

So Sugar didnt show up this morning or tonight. I'll keep trying to call her in. I have a feeling shes staying put in her nest since shes injured and only coming out to eat when shes really desperate. .

I still need dosing on prednisolone if anyone has time or can help. Im staying positive that she will come back!

karatt2 Guest

New to the post, but what about calcium and metabolic bone disease. We can't keep squirrels as pets here in Texas, but I can't not help one who needs it when I come across them. Had an unlucky Fox squirrel couple months ago dragging both back legs, occasionally limping on them, tail dragging. He let me come close, it was too late for him, he also had cataracts, so probably old guy, but still bad way to go. Don't know but thought about it. Lots of sources for calcium for them, but maybe she hasn't found any. Main one is bones to chew on. Insects. You'd think since it just happened I'd remember more. Hope she turns out OK.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to karatt2 from:

Jennefer (04-28-2018)

Jenn check your PM on dosing Prednisone...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (04-28-2018), Nancy in New York (04-28-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by karatt2 View Post
    New to the post, but what about calcium and metabolic bone disease. We can't keep squirrels as pets here in Texas, but I can't not help one who needs it when I come across them. Had an unlucky Fox squirrel couple months ago dragging both back legs, occasionally limping on them, tail dragging. He let me come close, it was too late for him, he also had cataracts, so probably old guy, but still bad way to go. Don't know but thought about it. Lots of sources for calcium for them, but maybe she hasn't found any. Main one is bones to chew on. Insects. You'd think since it just happened I'd remember more. Hope she turns out OK.
    Hi Karatt....welcome to the board!! Since Sugar is a wild girl i think she does fine on the calcium. I do dust any nuts i give out wth calcium powder and keep them to a minimum. My outside guys know they have to eat their healthy foods before treats. And shes showing no other signs of mbd. She came by this morn....yay!! I wasnt able to catch her but i did manage to get her to eat her meds & more. She was quick to move & actually looked a bit better than the other day. She looks good, just not putting full weight on that leg. Eyes are clear & shes acting normal. So hoping the pred works. Sorry to hear abt your foxer guy. I love foxers but we rarely see any here. Wish i had a yard full!!!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

cava (04-28-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Jenn check your PM on dosing Prednisone...
    Thanks Step! Got it. Sugar came by this morn & ate her meds. Looks a tad bit better, just not putting weight on her leg. She was fast enough to get away from me though. Ill keep trying to catch h er or lure her into RC.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

cava (04-28-2018), stepnstone (04-28-2018), Toddy (04-29-2018)