Thread: Running short on formula - blending Q

Default Running short on formula - blending Q

I received 4 week olds that are now about 5 1/2 weeks. Rejected Esb Puppy upon arrival so I tried 20/50 and all took to it. Droppings normal for age and all gaining weight. A little underweight when found so I have been adding a small amount of Ultraboost to each mix. I gave away a bag of 20/50 thinking I had 2 but it turned out to be 32/40 which I have discontinued for the most part in favor of Esb Pup. I am running short on 20/50 and have to stretch it out until mid week. Any thoughts on blending 32/40 and/or more Ultraboost with 20/50 until I get a new shipment? I don't want to upset the digestive applecart since things are going so well. My experience is more long term care of NR adults, medical and behavioral issues than formula specifics / nursing other than following the usual Henry's recommended routine. Hopefully a SR rehabber can advise. I normally triage, stabilize, and hand off but no rehabbers/subs available at present so I am momma once again.

3.1 Litter

Name:  DSC02180.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  90.5 KB

Default Re: Running short on formula - blending Q

We had to transition our babies from Fox Valley to Esbilac here - deliveries to Canada were never predictable, sometimes held at customs... plus shipping costs were out of this world. We began putting a touch of Liberty vanilla yogurt in the Esbilac and a touch of 35% cream - the lactose free kind - and we had no problem with the transition. I think it's the taste that is usually the problem since FV has that vanilla flavour you don't find in Esbilac.

We started with less than 1/4 of our prepared mix of Esbilac to more than 3/4 Fox Valley, and very gradually increased until total Esbilac with yogurt and cream. Our babies have always been growing big and plump on that, so we've stuck to it.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

SophieSquirrel (04-22-2018)

You can use up to a 50/50 mix of Fox Valley and Ultraboost. I have always done it that way.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SophieSquirrel, if you do the math (I know, you're like me -- we try not to LOL) I believe that mixing 32/40 with the recommended percentage of UltraBoost actually gives you.....FV20/50.
    Mel have you ever had problems (runny poop) using that much Ultra Boost in your formula? They recommend no more than 25% of the mixture but you have tried 50%. I would think that so much fat might result in some poop issues, but maybe not...
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    SophieSquirrel, if you do the math (I know, you're like me -- we try not to LOL) I believe that mixing 32/40 with the recommended percentage of UltraBoost actually gives you.....FV20/50.
    Mel have you ever had problems (runny poop) using that much Ultra Boost in your formula? They recommend no more than 25% of the mixture but you have tried 50%. I would think that so much fat might result in some poop issues, but maybe not...
    Actually the bag says to “mix 3/4 part formula to 1/4 part Ultraboost” “not to exceed 1/2 formula and 1/2 Ultraboost”. I have always mixed it this way for Joey to get the most calories in him. I’ve never had a problem with loose stool, even when I mix it like this for babies.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

I think I am going to do 1/2 32/40 and 1/2 Ultra boost and then mix that 50/50 with 20/50 and see how that works I am not going to mix the powders but make the formulas with the proper 2:1 and then mix. At 5+ weeks I am not worried abut the potential solids problem with the 32/40 especially as only 1/4 of the formula. I do add a little Kefir (liquid yogurt) as a rule anyway.

Does this sound reasonable?.