Thread: Newborn Bunnies-Need Help!

Default Newborn Bunnies-Need Help!

Hi all,

I received two newborn baby cottontail rabbits from a neighbor that had an incident where the Mom got killed. One of the babies still had its umbilical cord attached so they are very newborn. I have never cared for bunnies before, however I rehab squirrels all the time. I kept them stable overnight and have administered pedialyte to them. None of the rehabbers in my area will take them, and the wildlife center here confirmed they would euthanize upon admission. Therefore, I feel that it at least worth a shot to give these guys a fighting chance. I understand how unlikely it is for them to make it, especially without Momma's gut flora that she passes on in her milk. However, I figured before I bring them to get euthanized I should at least give it a chance and if they start suffering at all, that's when I can bring them in. I have Pedialyte, 1 cc syringe, nipple, and esbilac puppy formula. However, after much research it appears that Esbilac is not a good formula for bunnies, and KMR kitten is better. I got them late last night and fed them pedialtye orally, kept them half on/half off a heating pad set to low, and this morning fed them pedialyte. I am at work currently and will feed them right when I get home this evening as I read that they only need to be fed twice a day. I want to start giving them the proper formula mixture because I know the twice a day is based on that rich nutrient based milk, not pedialyte. However, this was sprung on me last minute late last night and I've spent all day trying to find a rehabber to take them with no luck.

Thoughts on how to enrich their milk with the necessary bacteria? I read that the cetotrophs (forgive me if I misspelled, I mean the soft stool from Mother or adult rabbits) are good to give them orally, but I don't have access to those. Anyone had success raising youngsters like this? Any guidance is much appreciated! Their lives depend on it..and I am extremely stressed because I know the responsibility is all on me here. I want to do the right thing for them, and as long as they are alert, wiggly, and seem healthy so far-it doesn't seem logical to euthanize right now.

Please help asap!

Default Re: Newborn Bunnies-Need Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrellove10 View Post
    Hi all,

I received two newborn baby cottontail rabbits from a neighbor that had an incident where the Mom got killed. One of the babies still had its umbilical cord attached so they are very newborn. I have never cared for bunnies before, however I rehab squirrels all the time. I kept them stable overnight and have administered pedialyte to them. None of the rehabbers in my area will take them, and the wildlife center here confirmed they would euthanize upon admission. Therefore, I feel that it at least worth a shot to give these guys a fighting chance. I understand how unlikely it is for them to make it, especially without Momma's gut flora that she passes on in her milk. However, I figured before I bring them to get euthanized I should at least give it a chance and if they start suffering at all, that's when I can bring them in. I have Pedialyte, 1 cc syringe, nipple, and esbilac puppy formula. However, after much research it appears that Esbilac is not a good formula for bunnies, and KMR kitten is better. I got them late last night and fed them pedialtye orally, kept them half on/half off a heating pad set to low, and this morning fed them pedialyte. I am at work currently and will feed them right when I get home this evening as I read that they only need to be fed twice a day. I want to start giving them the proper formula mixture because I know the twice a day is based on that rich nutrient based milk, not pedialyte. However, this was sprung on me last minute late last night and I've spent all day trying to find a rehabber to take them with no luck.

Thoughts on how to enrich their milk with the necessary bacteria? I read that the cetotrophs (forgive me if I misspelled, I mean the soft stool from Mother or adult rabbits) are good to give them orally, but I don't have access to those. Anyone had success raising youngsters like this? Any guidance is much appreciated! Their lives depend on it..and I am extremely stressed because I know the responsibility is all on me here. I want to do the right thing for them, and as long as they are alert, wiggly, and seem healthy so far-it doesn't seem logical to euthanize right now.

Please help asap!
    Hey. I know how you feel. I can't say I'm successful but this is what I've been taught. Use this formula mixture (makes 1 cup of formula):

6 scoops KMR
    12 scoops water
    1/4 c heavy whipping cream

Formula must be warm to feed bunnies. I microwave water in a bowl for 2 minutes. Then I put the amount of formula I need in a shot glass and place inside the hot water. After the formula is warmed, I stir in the probiotic Fox Valley LA200 (abt. 1/4 tsp) and also sprinkle a product called Probios in their box so they get it on their feet and lick it off. You can get the Probios on Amazon and I get the LA200 on Henry's Pets. If you can't get either of those, maybe sprinkle a capsule of human probiotic in the formula. If they make it to when they open their eyes, don't "over clean" their box out because they will start eating their cecotropes when they open their eyes.

Also, since these babies are so young, they should be fed at least 3x a day, depending on how they are doing. Remember they are getting hydrated by the water in the formula so important to feed at least 3x until they are a little older (eyes open).

Do you have a small scale? If so, important to weigh them to make sure they are gaining.

I hope this helps! Such a good kind thing you are doing and I wish you the best of luck! Bunnies are heartbreaking but worth a try instead of immediately euthanizing!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LARoxie from:

Squirrellove10 (04-21-2018)

Here is Cava's thread where she raised her first baby buns. There is a lot of info in there and maybe some of it will help. She successfully raised and released hers.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ighlight=teeny

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

cava (04-20-2018), Squirrellove10 (04-21-2018)

Yup. Here's the formula recommended to me by a rehabber in Canada who handles bunnies a lot. The bovine colostrum adds the bacteria baby would get from cecotropes and you are also adding probiotic. She described bunnies as little fermentation factories. It has to be correct in there for them to process food correctly. You should follow directions to the letter, they are fussy critters

1/2 cup goat's milk (3 scoops powder to 6 scoops water--scoop is one tablespoon)

1/2 c KMR (kitten milk replacer) (Premixed as directed two parts water to one part powder)

3 tbsp heavy whipping cream

1/4 tsp probiotic (otc probiotic capsules opened and shaken out)

1 1/2 tbsp colostrum

Let this rest a few hours hour prior to feeding.

10% of their body weight in grams is what they should receive three times a day. Stimulate to potty after each feeding. Until they are eating 7 ml's each time based on weight, then drop down to two feedings a day, 12 hours apart. She weighs every other day and and makes volume adjustments based on that. Once eyes open other food is introduced. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

They need dim and quiet the rest of the day. The less handling and stress the better they do. Momma only checks in with them a few times a day to avoid attracting predators to them. They know to hunker down and rest in between feedings. And a heating pad set on low under the container you have them in. The squirrel bin is fine and I made mine a blanket cave, a cube would work, and they knew to stay in it until I came a callin'.

Breathe, and good luck!

7. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

gunpackingrandma (04-24-2018), LR (04-20-2018), Mel1959 (04-20-2018), Nancy in New York (04-21-2018), Squirrellove10 (04-21-2018)

I am at the end stage of successfully raising a wild bunny thanks to this wonderful board!!! If you look for my thread "Does anyone know anything about Bunny's" you can read all the information I was given for success... Our bunny is doing fantastic!

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to gunpackingrandma:

4Puddles (04-24-2018), cava (04-24-2018), Mel1959 (04-24-2018), Milo's Mom (04-24-2018)