Thread: Weaning

Default Weaning

Mae is probably around 9 weeks old. She was eating the esbilac puppy milk around every 5 hours until Sunday. She refused to take any milk all day. She is active and seems fine otherwise. We have given her carrots, kale, broccoli, tomatoes, green beans, and bananas. She nibbles on them sometimes but not sure that she's actually eating any of them. Not sure where to go from here?

Default Re: Weaning

I would still offer the formula. They will start rejecting some formula feedings but then be anxious for the next. Some will want nighttime formula. You could even offer it in a bowl. But you are correct, they do start to push away from the formula as they self wean.

You need to get a rodent block for Mae. You could use Harlan Teklad 2018, Mazuri, Oxbow or some of the others. OR you could buy Henrys Healthy blocks for baby squirrels. I would get her on one as soon as possible. Actually a rodent block is the first food they should eat.

The veggies are good but I wouldn't offer banana just yet. Babies have a sweet tooth and will reject healthy foods if they know that sweet treats will come.

We actually have been feeding her rodent blocks and that was the first food she ate. We are just concerned because we are unsure if she is eating her vegetables.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to h_ann05 from:

HRT4SQRLS (04-16-2018)

What brand of rodent blocks?

Here is the recommended diet for older squirrels: https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

The first solid they should nibble on is a quality block like Henry's, Teklad 2018 or Mazuri Rodent

We have the mazuri rodent blocks but ordered some of the Henry's.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to h_ann05 from:

HRT4SQRLS (04-16-2018)

Sounds good! Mae won't starve herself. She will either take the formula or eat the solids. The main thing is offering healthy foods. Don't fall into the temptation of giving nuts.

That's the biggest mistake most make when baby squirrels start eating solids. If they get hooked on treats it's really hard to get them to eat healthy.

You're doing an excellent job.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

cava (04-16-2018)

Fabfive Guest

Hi All,

I have 5 babies starting their 8th week. One of them has started rejecting formula. Hes otherwise acting normal. Is t 8bweeks too early to self wean? Should I be concerned? I give them Henry's blocks, arugula, cucumber, zucchini, apples, bananas, blueberries, almonds, sunflower seeds, and sometimes avocado.

Thank you, Deb

Fabfive Guest

Default Re: Is 8 weeks too early to self wean?

I have 5 babies but one of them started rejecting Fox Valley formula. He plays and eats Henry's block and all the other veggies and fruit. Acting normal. Vibrant. Playful. But isn't 8 weeks a little early to self wean? Should I be concerned?

I'm also guessing at their age based on the date they opened their eyes. So he could be 9 weeks for all I know, or 7.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the early weaning so long as he is eating HHBs and other healthy foods. Try only offering formula first thing in the morning, or late at night when it's almost dark. As mine wean themselves there are those who only want the breakfast feeding, and those who only want the midnight snack. Don't be too worried.

I am hoping that this season's babies at my place do not hold out until they are almost 20 weeks old wanting formula, like my spring squirrels did! Enough already
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Fabfive Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I wouldn't be overly concerned with the early weaning so long as he is eating HHBs and other healthy foods. Try only offering formula first thing in the morning, or late at night when it's almost dark. As mine wean themselves there are those who only want the breakfast feeding, and those who only want the midnight snack. Don't be too worried.

I am hoping that this season's babies at my place do not hold out until they are almost 20 weeks old wanting formula, like my spring squirrels did! Enough already
    Okay. Got it. It's funny you say that because he wanted formula last night and this morning but not the 1pm feeding. Thank you for reassuring me. First time and I'm like a new mom. Good luck with your babies. I will send good weaning vibes to you.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Fabfive from:

island rehabber (10-12-2019)