Thread: A Squirrel Called Peanut - Geraniums?

Default A Squirrel Called Peanut - Geraniums?

Hi! I want to introduce myself. I am Peanut's mom. Peanut chased me, my husband and my dog down the sidewalk to ask for help. We were going to walk down and get some ice cream and we heard this tiny galloping noise and "uh-uh-uh-uh-uh" cooing. We looked and this little squirrel was running down the side-walk after us. We stopped and he came right up to me nibbling at my fingers (I figured out later, he was looking for milk). He had no fear (I have a 65 lb Shepard/Lab dog that was whining to 'get' the squirrel). I thought that he would go back to his nest/mother if we left. So, I told my husband "let's keep walking and he'll go home" (what a dummy). We started walking again and again he chased us down cooing at us. Came up to us nibbling at our shoes, or fingers for milk. He even stopped and cleaned himself right there in the middle of the sidewalk. That's when we knew he needed help.

That was September, last year. He was about 6 weeks old when we rescued him, and he's now 7 months. He is a wonderful joy to us. He has the whole balcony all to himself and he has a very healthy diet and environment.

My concern is, I have some hanging geraniums (on the other side of the screened in porch) that he is able to get a few nibbles of, every once in a while. I have looked for info, but I found a list on here that says they are toxic, but then I saw another post on her that said someone's squirrel spent the night in a geranium bed and it was like a spa trip. Just wondering, especially since he has nibbled on these to varying degrees for so many months, should I remove them completely? Are they dangerous and we've just been lucky? Any advice would be helpful. We have bought him flowers from the list on Henry's Healthy Pets before, and he eats them all real fast and then I have to buy more, but didn't see specific info on Henry's about Geraniums.

Also, Henry's lists Spinach and Collard Greens in the NO column, but I see so many "famous" squirrels (i.e. Instagram squirrels) eating those. I'm always looking for more healthy greens Peanut will like. He mainly wants sugar snap peas, butternut squash, blueberries, carrots and much less interested in lettuce, broccoli, etc. Although he does like the pot of fresh Kale growing out on the balcony with him. And of course, he gets 2 Henry's blocks a day (which he mostly eats).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to squirrel_peanut:

ElleRiddle (04-14-2018), Jen413 (04-18-2018), Lighten-Up (04-29-2018), Mel1959 (04-18-2018), Nancy in New York (04-14-2018), Rexie (04-30-2018), Toddy (04-14-2018), TubeDriver (04-18-2018)

Default Re: A Squirrel Called Peanut - Geraniums?

Oh my goodness. Peanut is the most beautiful squirrel... ever. That pic should come with a warning. :tilt I just LOVE the pic. I so wish we had fox squirrels where I live but we don't.

I did a quick search about geraniums and I'm sure I found the same info that you found. Apparently some varieties are non-toxic and others are toxic to dogs and cats so it's really hard to say. When they talk about toxicity there is a range that extends from a mild irritant or GI upset all the way to deadly. Personally I err on the side of caution. If there is any possibility of toxicity I don't allow them access to it. I am kicking myself because I just planted a native FL plant called a Coontie. I just found out it is in the cycad palm family. The seeds of cycad palms like the sago palm are deadly. I will either have to remove them or be vigilant to remove the seed pods because I don't want my outside friends to eat them.
    If it's a plant you love and yes, they are awesome I would locate it so that Peanut doesn't have access to it.

The problem with spinach and collards is because they are high in oxalates which can be associated with kidney issues. In moderation they are fine. It sounds like you are doing an awesome job with the diet. I commend you on doing your homework.
    In addition to the things you mentioned they like acorn squash and avocado.

Your introduction to Peanut is a story that we hear often on this board. Baby squirrels that are lost or orphaned will approach people for help. We hear many stories of.... a baby squirrel just climbed up my leg. Luckily Peanut found someone with a good heart that would respond to that need. ❤️

4. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (04-14-2018), Diggie's Friend (04-14-2018), ElleRiddle (04-14-2018), Mel1959 (04-18-2018), Rexie (04-30-2018), squirrel_peanut (04-18-2018), stepnstone (04-18-2018), Toddy (04-14-2018)

The Harvard School of Public Health also recommends collards as a source of calcium for those who are lactose intolerant or simply dislike milk. The oxalate -- a salt of oxalic acid -- in raw collards can impede the absorption of this calcium, but boiling the greens for at least six minutes overcomes the absorbability problem, allowing diners to get the benefit of all of the vegetable's calcium content. Collards are also rich in a wide array of phytochemicals -- plant compounds with reputed medicinal properties -- including alpha-carotene. A cup of chopped, cooked collards contains 4 grams of protein, 9.3 grams of carbohydrates, 0.68 grams of fat and 5.3 grams of dietary fiber, according to the USDA’s National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Other minerals in a cup of collards include 220 grams of potassium, 57 grams of phosphorus, 38 grams of magnesium, 30 grams of sodium and 2.2 grams of iron. Collards are also rich in several key vitamins, with 15,417 International units of vitamin A per cup, 36 milligrams of vitamin C, 177 micrograms of folate and 836 micrograms of vitamin K. If you’re watching your caloric intake, you’ll be happy to learn that a cup of collards has only 49 calories.

Depending upon the density of the leaves and elevation, boiling Collards for 6 to 10 minutes to reduce the oxalates in this heavier leaf green, is required. This also lowers the bitterness of the leaves, and breaks the cell walls of the cellulose fiber making it more digestible and the nutrients in this source more bioavailable. Likewise for Turnip greens, save raw they have a positive Ca:Ox ratio to begin with.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/coll...body-2925.html

Spinaches, Oleacera, include more than just the one species of spinach; all of these are too high to reduce to support the oxalates (anti-nutrient) as to provide bioavailable calcium, and other minerals and vitamins.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

squirrel_peanut (04-18-2018)

Oh thank you! We love him! I have been blown away by all the support on the squirrel board. And I am so happy to have access to your knowledge and experience. I very much appreciate it. This helps a ton!

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Oh my goodness. Peanut is the most beautiful squirrel... ever. That pic should come with a warning. I just LOVE the pic. I so wish we had fox squirrels where I live but we don't.

I did a quick search about geraniums and I'm sure I found the same info that you found. Apparently some varieties are non-toxic and others are toxic to dogs and cats so it's really hard to say. When they talk about toxicity there is a range that extends from a mild irritant or GI upset all the way to deadly. Personally I err on the side of caution. If there is any possibility of toxicity I don't allow them access to it. I am kicking myself because I just planted a native FL plant called a Coontie. I just found out it is in the cycad palm family. The seeds of cycad palms like the sago palm are deadly. I will either have to remove them or be vigilant to remove the seed pods because I don't want my outside friends to eat them.
    If it's a plant you love and yes, they are awesome I would locate it so that Peanut doesn't have access to it.

The problem with spinach and collards is because they are high in oxalates which can be associated with kidney issues. In moderation they are fine. It sounds like you are doing an awesome job with the diet. I commend you on doing your homework.
    In addition to the things you mentioned they like acorn squash and avocado.

Your introduction to Peanut is a story that we hear often on this board. Baby squirrels that are lost or orphaned will approach people for help. We hear many stories of.... a baby squirrel just climbed up my leg. Luckily Peanut found someone with a good heart that would respond to that need. ❤️

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrel_peanut from:

Toddy (04-18-2018)

Thank you so much! This is super helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Depending upon the density of the leaves and elevation, boiling Collards for 6 to 10 minutes to reduce the oxalates in this heavier leaf green, is required. This also lowers the bitterness of the leaves, and breaks the cell walls of the cellulose fiber making it more digestible and the nutrients in this source more bioavailable. Likewise for Turnip greens, save raw they have a positive Ca:Ox ratio to begin with.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/coll...body-2925.html

Spinaches, Oleacera, include more than just the one species of spinach; all of these are too high to reduce to support the oxalates (anti-nutrient) as to provide bioavailable calcium, and other minerals and vitamins. [/SIZE]

Oh he is beautiful!! He looks very happy and healthy! (And possibly spoiled!) You've done a great job with him. Do you plan on releasing him or is he a forever squirrel?

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

Thank you!