Thread: Baby squirrel found with injured leg.

AzyFace Guest

Question Baby squirrel found with injured leg.

I recently found a baby grey squirrel in my yard. His mother abandoned him so I took him in. I’ve been able to get him to eat successfully and he recently opened his eyes. But I’ve noticed that when he walks, his back left leg just drags behind him. He can move it but he refuses to use it to walk. I don’t know if it’s broken or sprained or anything else. I can send a video to anyone wanting to help as I am very concerned for his health.

Default Re: Baby squirrel found with injured leg.

Thank you for helping this baby and welcome!

Here's helpful link: https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Let's make sure you are feeding the correct formula and the correct amount. He needs proper nutrition to heal/recover from any injury. What are you feeding, how much, how often and how much does he weigh? You should be using a 1 ml or at the most 3 ml syringe right now, with a nipple. Pet nurser bottles or large syringes can contribute to aspiration, which can lead to pneumonia. We see it often.

A video would be helpful to identify his problem. Post to another site, like youtube (free easy to sign up) and link to this thread.

With a weight in grams we can help you give him medications. Do you have access to pred or meloxicam? The sooner he begins treatment the better.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

4Puddles (04-10-2018), Mel1959 (04-10-2018)

AzyFace Guest

He is getting kitten formula right now every 3 hours but the amount varies based on how much he is willing to eat. (sometimes he will take a few drops and other times he eats way more). I don’t know how much he weighs but I can find out. He’s started walking on his leg but he’s limping and he falls over often. I posted a video of him walking on YouTube. The link is https://youtu.be/gEMdYfCDVm8.

The kitten formula is not the correct formula for him. He must have POWDERED puppy Esbilac. Can you get some tomorrow? Tractor Supply, Pet Supermarket and maybe Petco carry it. As well as many animal feed stores. The kitten formula can cause diarrhea.

If his eyes are open he’s ready for some block to nibble on. Many folks on here like Henry’s blocks. Harlan Teklad 2018 is also a good block. Both of these must be ordered online. There are other blocks like Oxbow, Zupreem and Mazuri which you might be able to find locally.

A scale is a must. You can get one at Walmart or bed bath and beyond.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Nancy in New York (04-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by AzyFace View Post
    He is getting kitten formula right now every 3 hours but the amount varies based on how much he is willing to eat. (sometimes he will take a few drops and other times he eats way more). I don’t know how much he weighs but I can find out. He’s started walking on his leg but he’s limping and he falls over often. I posted a video of him walking on YouTube. The link is https://youtu.be/gEMdYfCDVm8.

You need to get him on Esbilac Powdered Puppy Formula.
    Kitten formula is not the correct one for a squirrel and it
    can cause diarrhea. You need the POWDERED PUPPY Esbilac.
    You also need a weight on him, to determine the correct amount of
    formula to feed. Get a gram scale at Walmart in the kitchen department.
    Amazon has them as well. I have this one, but any one would work.
    https://www.amazon.com/Escali-P115C-...ram+food+scale
    Would you like us to try to fine a rehabber for you?

Edit: I see that Mel already mentioned most of what I wrote,
    she's a faster typist.