Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 59

Thread: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast USA!
    Posts
    16,102
    Thanked: 6020

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    Good luck!
    I think a nice indoor vacation of a month or two might be exactly what this little wild one needs. That would allow him to regrow his fur, put on some weight and 1-2 teeth trims might be all he needs in order to reset his broken teeth! We can walk you through the mechanics of a tooth trim, it is usually not as bad as it sounds.

    Best case scenerio: his teeth grow in, his mange is gone and he can be released back to the wild.

    Worst case scenerio: teeth don't grow back and then you have two choices: if he seems happy than perhaps he could be a NR? Or the other alternative if he is miserable inside is to give him a compassionate, peaceful passing over which would be MUCH better than him slowly starving to death in the wild.


    Quote Originally Posted by DixiesMom View Post
    Yes, he is a true wild who showed up at my door 7 weeks ago. He was there just waiting on the balcony as if he knew this was where help would be provided. He trusts me, but he is definitely wild, so I am hoping he will adjust well to captivity. Heading out to go see the vet now. May peace be with me as I don't want him to feel my emotions. I hope this vet will be understanding of my refusal to give up on him.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 04-16-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    The adventures of Sir Max and Explorer Millie!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...e-the-Explorer!

    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

  2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

    DixiesMom (04-16-2018), Mel1959 (04-16-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-16-2018), Toddy (04-17-2018)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    3,681
    Thanked: 4764

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    I think your comment says it all and might be what you want to tell the vet if euthanasia is suggested...”I’m not giving up on him”.

  4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

    DixiesMom (04-16-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-16-2018), Toddy (04-17-2018)

  5. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 103

    Default Turned out to be worst case scenario - Maxee is NR

    Thank you all for your support. Means a lot to me

    I am back home with Maxee. It turned out to be the worst case scenario. He does not have any bottom incisors. One of the top one is on the verge of falling and the other one was super long. He also has an abscess. So today, his tooth was trimmed, which gives me about 3 weeks to figure it all out as far as what I am going to do... learn how to trim on my own or have to take him somewhere each time. I am thinking that the least stressful for him is if I learn. I would very much appreciate assistance to learn the mechanics of a tooth trim. At least having only one incisors reduces greatly the biting risk factor.

    I am in shock. I am heartbroken. But I am also very much relieved to have him in my care. He could not be in the wild, was just going to get worse and worse for him. At least he is safe and sound. He is loved and I will do everything I can to make him happy. I hope I will manage.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.facebook.com/jroussy1972...type=2&theater

  6. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DixiesMom:

    4Puddles (04-16-2018), cava (04-16-2018), Jen413 (04-17-2018), Scooterzmom (04-16-2018), Toddy (04-17-2018), TubeDriver (04-16-2018)

  7. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,259
    Thanked: 5457

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    Did they give antibiotics for the abscess?

  8. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    3,193
    Thanked: 4678

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    You're my (and his) hero today!

  9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

    DixiesMom (04-16-2018)

  10. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West of Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    4,484
    Thanked: 521

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    He's in good hands now. With the best of care, and he certainly is loved. Loved loved. <3 Thank you Josée.
    Mitch & Scooter
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My sweet Scooter... YOU brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, sweetheart. You be at peace, enjoy your freedom, we'll meet at the Bridge again some day. I'll always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

  11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

    DixiesMom (04-16-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-16-2018)

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 103

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Did they give antibiotics for the abscess?
    Yes, I have clamavox for the abscess.

    Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    You're my (and his) hero today!
    aww thank you Cava



    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    He's in good hands now. With the best of care, and he certainly is loved. Loved loved. <3 Thank you Josée.
    Thank you Scooterzmom
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.facebook.com/jroussy1972...type=2&theater

  13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DixiesMom:

    SophieSquirrel (04-16-2018), Toddy (04-17-2018)

  14. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,259
    Thanked: 5457

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    Quote Originally Posted by DixiesMom View Post
    Yes, I have clamavox for the abscess.

  15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

    SophieSquirrel (04-16-2018)

  16. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast USA!
    Posts
    16,102
    Thanked: 6020

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    Awww....

    Poor little guy. Did the vet do an x-ray? If not, there is still a small chance his lowers will grow back in.

    No rush to make any decisions, for now he has a nice 3 level CN cage to relax in. His teeth will probably need to be trimmed again in about 3 weeks. One thing that is really important, is to get a proper set of trimmers.


    https://www.amazon.com/Safari-Profes...Btrimmers&th=1
    The adventures of Sir Max and Explorer Millie!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...e-the-Explorer!

    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

  17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

    DixiesMom (04-16-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-16-2018)

  18. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 103

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Awww....

    Poor little guy. Did the vet do an x-ray? If not, there is still a small chance his lowers will grow back in.

    No rush to make any decisions, for now he has a nice 3 level CN cage to relax in. His teeth will probably need to be trimmed again in about 3 weeks. One thing that is really important, is to get a proper set of trimmers.


    https://www.amazon.com/Safari-Profes...Btrimmers&th=1
    No, the vet did not do an x-ray. It was not suggested and I did not think of asking. A miracle regrowth of his lower incisors would be great, although I am not very hopeful.

    Thanks for the suggestion for the trimmers, I was wondering which kind to get. Which size should I get though? The large ones? These are very reasonably priced. I thought I would need something a lot more expensive.

    Do you think it's possible to learn how to trim from watching a video or I would need someone to show me in person (don't know anyone)? And do you think that since Maxee only has one incisor to bite with that it will make it easier to do this on my own? Part of me thinks "Josee, you can totally do this", and yet another part is completely terrified with the thought of doing something wrong and hurting my little boy. I read on another thread someone saying they cut their squirrel tongue and it scared me.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.facebook.com/jroussy1972...type=2&theater

  19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

    SophieSquirrel (04-16-2018)

  20. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast USA!
    Posts
    16,102
    Thanked: 6020

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    Either size should work, I would probably get both sizes since they are inexpensive. The shape of the cutting blade is important. The curved blades of this trimmer are less likely to cause splitting or splintering. Having a single tooth will make this even faster, it will only take a couple seconds for the actual cutting.

    Finding a pair that is made of tool steel is best, stainless steel is the second best type of metal. But either will do the job.

    We can point out some videos and also show some photos of where you want to cut. Burritoing him in a fleece will make him much simpler to handle. I’ll post these things up in the next day or so. It can be done by one person but a second set of hands is helpful. One set of hands to hold the burritoed squirrel and the second set of hands to do the trimming.


    Quote Originally Posted by DixiesMom View Post
    No, the vet did not do an x-ray. It was not suggested and I did not think of asking. A miracle regrowth of his lower incisors would be great, although I am not very hopeful.

    Thanks for the suggestion for the trimmers, I was wondering which kind to get. Which size should I get though? The large ones? These are very reasonably priced. I thought I would need something a lot more expensive.

    Do you think it's possible to learn how to trim from watching a video or I would need someone to show me in person (don't know anyone)? And do you think that since Maxee only has one incisor to bite with that it will make it easier to do this on my own? Part of me thinks "Josee, you can totally do this", and yet another part is completely terrified with the thought of doing something wrong and hurting my little boy. I read on another thread someone saying they cut their squirrel tongue and it scared me.
    The adventures of Sir Max and Explorer Millie!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...e-the-Explorer!

    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

  21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

    DixiesMom (04-16-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-16-2018)

  22. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    601
    Thanked: 1121

    Default Re: Turned out to be worst case scenario - Maxee is NR

    Quote Originally Posted by DixiesMom View Post
    But I am also very much relieved to have him in my care. He could not be in the wild, was just going to get worse and worse for him. At least he is safe and sound. He is loved and I will do everything I can to make him happy. I hope I will manage.
    You will do fine and he will adjust over time.

    I assume he was examined under Isoflourine (gas)? Did the vet look at his molars with an Otoscope (photo below)? He probably took a fall and may have damaged the roots of his lowers. Self trimming the teeth of a captive raised is hard enough. You saving grace is he probably won't be able to do much damage trying to bite you with just one upper. Trimming is a breeze once you get used to it and it's a 2 person job. Best way is in a taco (rolled in a towel) with one person holding and the other trimming. You need a dowel or med size popsicle style stick to isolate the tongue and keep chips from getting in the mouth. A wild who is not used to being handled is going to be even more stressed.

    I suggest the next trim is done at the vet. Have her look at the molars as well if she hasn't already done so. I would also ask for a very mild sedative that you can give orally just to calm (not to sedate) for when you self-trim.

    We all like to see our wild friends outside in the trees and we certainly can't save every squirrel. The truth is the outdoors is fraught with danger and a wild's life is a short one. This is only lucky little guy having found you and a safe forever home. The Squirrel Board can guide you on diet and care as we all have different skill sets. My specialty is squirrel behavior and long term care of disable squirrels in captivity. Others are good with meds/dosing, rehab and release etc. The TSB community is here for you!

    Here is an example of nippers that are good for trimming


    Name:  NIPPERS.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  14.7 KB

    Method for self trimming (Rat example)

    Name:  PilnyCrabTeeth1-M.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  49.5 KB

    Oral exam of a Chin's molars with Otoscope


    Name:  chinchilla-oral-exam.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  53.0 KB
    Resident Sciurus: Sophie, Kami, Lady, Lucky, Beatrice, Jill, Winston, and Patchi the Prairie Dog

  23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

    DixiesMom (04-16-2018)

  24. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 103

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    Thank you so much TubeDriver. I will get both sizes, and yes I will have an extra set of hands. My husband and I will team up to do this. We are both already very attached to our little guy and committed to make it as easy on him as we can.

    Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Either size should work, I would probably get both sizes since they are inexpensive. The shape of the cutting blade is important. The curved blades of this trimmer are less likely to cause splitting or splintering. Having a single tooth will make this even faster, it will only take a couple seconds for the actual cutting.

    Finding a pair that is made of tool steel is best, stainless steel is the second best type of metal. But either will do the job.

    We can point out some videos and also show some photos of where you want to cut. Burritoing him in a fleece will make him much simpler to handle. I’ll post these things up in the next day or so. It can be done by one person but a second set of hands is helpful. One set of hands to hold the burritoed squirrel and the second set of hands to do the trimming.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.facebook.com/jroussy1972...type=2&theater

  25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

    SophieSquirrel (04-16-2018)

  26. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    601
    Thanked: 1121

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess


    Here is the link for Chris's straight blade trimmers:
    https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/pro...-teeth-cutters



    The scissor style in the photo will work on a single tooth but you need a real small version. The others are too big and the guillotine one is dangerous to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Resident Sciurus: Sophie, Kami, Lady, Lucky, Beatrice, Jill, Winston, and Patchi the Prairie Dog

  27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

    DixiesMom (04-16-2018)

  28. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 103

    Default Re: Turned out to be worst case scenario - Maxee is NR

    Thank you for this great advice and for the encouragement SophieSquirrel

    The vet I saw is not experienced with squirrels. She did use a gaz to examine under anesthesia. She did not use an otoscope as far as I know. I plan on making an appointment at a different clinic for the next trim (they have been contacted by today's vet already). They specialize in exotic animals, so they have more experience with rodents (although not with squirrels). This extra vet visit will give me more time to learn and feel ready to attempt a trim, but also I will ask for a more thorough exam. There was something about the molars that seemed off too, but the vet wasn't sure what to make of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    You will do fine and he will adjust over time.

    I assume he was examined under Isoflourine (gas)? Did the vet look at his molars with an Otoscope (photo below)? He probably took a fall and may have damaged the roots of his lowers. Self trimming the teeth of a captive raised is hard enough. You saving grace is he probably won't be able to do much damage trying to bite you with just one upper. Trimming is a breeze once you get used to it and it's a 2 person job. Best way is in a taco (rolled in a towel) with one person holding and the other trimming. You need a dowel or med size popsicle style stick to isolate the tongue and keep chips from getting in the mouth. A wild who is not used to being handled is going to be even more stressed.

    I suggest the next trim is done at the vet. Have her look at the molars as well if she hasn't already done so. I would also ask for a very mild sedative that you can give orally just to calm (not to sedate) for when you self-trim.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.facebook.com/jroussy1972...type=2&theater

  29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

    SophieSquirrel (04-16-2018)

  30. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    601
    Thanked: 1121

    Default Re: Turned out to be worst case scenario - Maxee is NR

    Quote Originally Posted by DixiesMom View Post
    There was something about the molars that seemed off too, but the vet wasn't sure what to make of it.
    Sometimes after a fall the jaw alignment is affected. If the molars don't match they can wear unevenly and spurs can grow. It's best to do an Xray and Otoscope exam under Isoflourine to determine if there are any issues. This will also afford a view of the incisor roots to see whats going on. Any exotic vet has experience with Degus / Chins etc can easily handle a squirrel which has a similar dental arrangement.

    This Xray show what would happen in the wild had you not intervened. The upper incisor without an opposing lower incisor to keep it worn would continue to grow eventually causing a painful death and starvation.

    Name:  cin.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  15.2 KB
    Resident Sciurus: Sophie, Kami, Lady, Lucky, Beatrice, Jill, Winston, and Patchi the Prairie Dog

  31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

    DixiesMom (04-16-2018), Mel1959 (04-16-2018)

  32. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    1,715
    Thanked: 3091

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    I have a boy that is NR due to teeth issues from a shattered jaw from a fall. He ended up losing a bottom tooth for a while. We didn't think it would re-grow but it eventually did. I say this to say don't count him out yet. They could return it could just take time. Sammy's tooth fell out about two months after his fall and returned about two months later. I think he lost the tooth due to the trauma to the root during his fall. I tried to use the curved style blades recently but couldn't. I couldn't get it around just a single tooth. If you just have a single tooth to trim it should work great. The flat ones allow me to just trim one at a time.

    I was terrified the first time I trimmed Sammy's teeth. I had never done it or seen it done before. I had no one to show me in person. I watched videos and read up on everything I can find. Then after it was over I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'm still nervous every time, but it's different once you know what to expect.

    This is one of the first articles I read and has a lot of information in it that you might find helpful.

    http://www.mary.cc/squirrels/trimteeth.htm

    He sure is a lucky guy to have found himself in your yard when he did!

    “You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan .



    Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

  33. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

    DixiesMom (04-17-2018), HRT4SQRLS (04-17-2018), Mel1959 (04-17-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-17-2018)

  34. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 103

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    This morning Maxee still hasn't come out of the carrier. It's been 18 hours since we were at the vet. I am getting concerned. Is this normal after anesthesia? Should I worry and check on him? He is hiding under the cat bed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen413 View Post
    I have a boy that is NR due to teeth issues from a shattered jaw from a fall. He ended up losing a bottom tooth for a while. We didn't think it would re-grow but it eventually did. I say this to say don't count him out yet. They could return it could just take time. Sammy's tooth fell out about two months after his fall and returned about two months later. I think he lost the tooth due to the trauma to the root during his fall. I tried to use the curved style blades recently but couldn't. I couldn't get it around just a single tooth. If you just have a single tooth to trim it should work great. The flat ones allow me to just trim one at a time.

    I was terrified the first time I trimmed Sammy's teeth. I had never done it or seen it done before. I had no one to show me in person. I watched videos and read up on everything I can find. Then after it was over I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'm still nervous every time, but it's different once you know what to expect.

    This is one of the first articles I read and has a lot of information in it that you might find helpful.

    http://www.mary.cc/squirrels/trimteeth.htm

    He sure is a lucky guy to have found himself in your yard when he did!
    Thank you very much for sharing your experience with Sammy. This gives me hope that little Maxee's teeth my regrow too. I read your thread about Sammy and I see that he was a baby when you found him. It must be so much easier on them to get used to it at this age. The one I have is an adult and wild... that is my main concern when I think of having to do it. I never handled him. Will he let me? Will I manage to stay calm and have a calming effect on him? I have to try and see.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.facebook.com/jroussy1972...type=2&theater

  35. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

    SophieSquirrel (04-17-2018)

  36. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,259
    Thanked: 5457

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    You can check on him but let me warn you... he might fly out from under the bed and latch onto your arm. You might want to use gloves. He might be perfectly fine or not, but I'm sure I don't have to remind you that he's a wild. I took in a wild overnight that was debilitated. By the next morning he had gotten a second wind and he escaped in my house. I received a bite that I still remember. Just be careful.

  37. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

    DixiesMom (04-17-2018), Mel1959 (04-17-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-17-2018)

  38. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 103

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with teeth/mouth issues - Possible broken tooth and now abscess

    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    You can check on him but let me warn you... he might fly out from under the bed and latch onto your arm. You might want to use gloves. He might be perfectly fine or not, but I'm sure I don't have to remind you that he's a wild. I took in a wild overnight that was debilitated. By the next morning he had gotten a second wind and he escaped in my house. I received a bite that I still remember. Just be careful.
    I was thinking of the possibility or an escape. I heard him move a little bit just now, so I think I will wait a little long longer. He must still be shaken up from yesterday's ordeal. I am shaken myself and I am not the one it happened to, so I can only imagine how hard it was for the poor 'lil guy.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.facebook.com/jroussy1972...type=2&theater

  39. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DixiesMom:

    Mel1959 (04-17-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-17-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •