Thread: Reunited a baby with it's mom. How did I do?

bearmode Guest

Default Reunited a baby with it's mom. How did I do?

Hello all,

I encountered my first ever baby squirrel in need today, or at least what appeared to be so. The end result is that the baby and mom were reunited and when I checked on them later I couldn't find either of them, so I can only assume the best.

What I was hoping for is suggestions/feedback on the situation so I know how to better handle a situation like this in the future. To that end, here's how it went down...

I walked into my apartment complex courtyard to see what I thought was way too young a squirrel running around somewhat frantically. Not at all disoriented or limping, just frantic scurrying. I tried to get near it but it ran around, as squirrels do, but it was staying in the relative area. So I started looking for a mom. After a few minutes of not seeing anything, I decided to try my luck picking it up and seeing if it was okay. So I crouched and started tapping my hand on the ground to get it's attention. To my surprise is came to me, let me get it, and after I felt it was somewhat comfortable I picked it up.

Side note: baby squirrels fur must be what heaven feels like. So impossibly soft.

When I picked it started chirping. I expected as much, it was probably startled. But I was glad, too, because hopefully the mom heard it. It was at this time I noticed some blood on it's snoot (or rather, it got some on me. Up to that point I thought it was mud or dirt until I saw a few red dots on me. I have to assume it was from a fall, but again, no disorientation or injury other than a little bloody on the snoot.) After a few minutes, lo and behold, a squirrel comes running up to me, cautiously, but I could tell it was concerned. So I set the baby down and they were reunited. It was awesome to see.

She picked him up and they ran off to a bush in the shade. I ran to my apartment to get a few almonds, the baby sniffed one but had no interest (which told me he is definitely not supposed to be roaming yet... right?) and the mom took one from me. I set two more nearby, just in case, and took a picture of the two for the memories. The baby was crawling all over the mom, it was too darn cute. At that point I left them alone. A mother and her child were watching, apparently, and they thought it was super cool (they have great taste)

I checked back a couple hours later and they were nowhere to be seen in the bush or surrounding area, so, as I said, I can only assume the best. The almonds were gone too, so I'm glad momma had her snack.

I'm glad it played out as it did, I am in no position to keep a squirrel overnight, especially one that still needs formula. But I do know where my nearest rehab facilities are, so I wasn't totally unprepared. But I do think I will get together an "emergency kit" ready for scenarios that don't end quite so well and the squirrel needs a little care before I can get to it rehab.

And of course I took pictures. There's a little collage at this reddit link where I have a much more concise version of the story.

https://www.reddit.com/r/squirrels/c...reddit-android

Thank you all for all you do, as "simple" as this scenario felt I know I'd be much less prepared if it wasn't for the experiences I've read about on here.

2. 11 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to bearmode:

cava (04-09-2018), Chickenlegs (04-10-2018), Coralreefer (04-09-2018), JPlagg (04-10-2018), lennysmom (04-10-2018), Mel1959 (04-10-2018), Nancy in New York (04-09-2018), SammysMom (04-10-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-09-2018), stepnstone (04-10-2018), Toddy (04-10-2018)

Default Re: Reunited a baby with it's mom. How did I do?

Perfect!! Great job!

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Mel1959 (04-10-2018), SammysMom (04-10-2018), Toddy (04-10-2018)

I agree with cava you did one heck of a great job!
    You gave Mom her baby back and she has you to thank for that!

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (04-10-2018), SammysMom (04-10-2018), Toddy (04-10-2018)

The very BEST wildlife rehab is when no rehab is needed at all -- GREAT job, bearmode!!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (04-10-2018), SammysMom (04-10-2018), stepnstone (04-10-2018), Toddy (04-10-2018)

A perfect outcome! It makes my heart happy!

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Nancy in New York (04-10-2018), Toddy (04-10-2018)

bearmode Guest

Thank you all, you're too kind.

All the other baby squirrels better stay put until it's time to leave the nest! But if one does need assistance I hope I'm there... and it's not too complicated! Not yet, at least.

12. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to bearmode:

lennysmom (04-10-2018), Mel1959 (04-10-2018), Nancy in New York (04-10-2018), stepnstone (04-10-2018), Toddy (04-10-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.