Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hello! I wanted to say hello and a big thank you to the squirrel board contributors. It has helped me save 3 little lives. The landlord chopped a tree down and found 3 baby pinkies on the ground after cleanup. We gathered them and left them hoping mom would come back for them, but sadly hours later as it got dark and temperatures dropped very cold she had not. I brought them in kept them heated and hydrated. I just happened to be fostering 3 week old puppies so was able to feed the babies too. Took them outside to the same spot the next morning in hopes mom would come back again. But again, she did not. Called the local rehabbers but they had their hands full with a bunch of baby bunnies. So I decided to do my best. I grew up on a farm and I've raised a lot of babies. Even pinky mice a mama cat dropped on the doorstep once. That was 3 weeks ago and the babies are doing very well. I'm excited to release them and give them the life they deserve when it's time. This forum made all the difference! Thank you all again so much!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Dianad1277:

cava (04-08-2018), island rehabber (04-08-2018), Jen413 (04-09-2018), lukaslolamaus (04-09-2018), Nancy in New York (04-08-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-09-2018), stepnstone (04-08-2018), Toddy (04-10-2018)

Default Re: Hello!

Welcome, Dianad1277, and congratulations for doing a job so well! That baby looks absolutely wonderful and I'm thinking the others do, too. Is that a baby fox squirrel? We are so thrilled that the help you found here on TSB made a difference in these babies' lives, and yours. It's what we love to do.

You know we love pix, so keep 'em coming! Oh, and names? We need names......
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (04-08-2018), Dianad1277 (04-08-2018), Jen413 (04-09-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-09-2018)

Thank you Island Rehabber! I'm seriously in love with these babies and blessed to love them. Yes, they are baby fox squirrels. They all 3 are almost identical weight wise. Staying within just a few grams of each other. Between 100-110 grams right now. 2 boys and one girl. Yakko, Wakko and DOT. Lol. We've only had one serious issue and that is penis sucking. I separated them last week because they were causing scabs. I put them back together after a day and it resumed again. They have been fed round the clock from the get go so I know it's not lack of food. I hated to separate them. But from what I read on the forum there was no choice. My only issue is finding new containers. They are in shoebox size plastic containesr at the moment but they don't like the top. They are already posturing to potty. Eyes still closed. I'm guessing 4 weeks old. What size do you suggest for them? Thank you again. And I will take more pics.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Dianad1277 from:

SophieSquirrel (04-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dianad1277 View Post
    Thank you Island Rehabber! I'm seriously in love with these babies and blessed to love them. Yes, they are baby fox squirrels. They all 3 are almost identical weight wise. Staying within just a few grams of each other. Between 100-110 grams right now. 2 boys and one girl. Yakko, Wakko and DOT. Lol. We've only had one serious issue and that is penis sucking. I separated them last week because they were causing scabs. I put them back together after a day and it resumed again. They have been fed round the clock from the get go so I know it's not lack of food. I hated to separate them. But from what I read on the forum there was no choice. My only issue is finding new containers. They are in shoebox size plastic containesr at the moment but they don't like the top. They are already posturing to potty. Eyes still closed. I'm guessing 4 weeks old. What size do you suggest for them? Thank you again. And I will take more pics.
    I understand why you separated them but I would not keep them separated, they need each other and are better developed with siblings.
    Suckling generally does cease as they age. Have you been feeding them within 5-7% of their body weight?
    At their weights now they should be eating @ 100 grams between 5 -7 cc's each feeding, @ 110 grams between 5.5 - 7.7 cc's each feeding.
    How many hours apart have you been feeding around the clock?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Nancy in New York (04-09-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dianad1277 View Post
    My only issue is finding new containers. They are in shoebox size plastic containesr at the moment but they don't like the top. They are already posturing to potty. Eyes still closed. I'm guessing 4 weeks old. What size do you suggest for them? Thank you again. And I will take more pics.

The top photos are of a bin that's 17 1/2 inches high. I know because they fit exactly right under my microwave.
    The larger bins below are roughly 14 inches high, the small one ~12 inches high.
    The photo on the right was my "triage" area for some sick squirrels, I don't typically keep them
    on the floor, but I needed enough outlets for heating pads and humidifiers.
    I have no tops on my bins because I have NO other animals in the house.
    However, you have to make sure
    that they cannot climb out if you don't use tops. Make sure that nothing is piled high near the sides, and
    if there's a question, drill tons of holes in the container, and put a top on it. (Holes in the top as well).

The day after the top photos were taken, I moved the little ones to their first cage, pictured below.
    then after a couple of weeks they went to their medium sized cage for a few months.
    Sorry I can't seem to find good photos of the whole cages or bins, though I KNOW I have them.
    You can get the "general idea".
    I hope these help.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (04-09-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-09-2018)

Thank you Nancy in New York. Those pics are much appreciated. Going to buy some new totes today.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Dianad1277:

Nancy in New York (04-09-2018), SophieSquirrel (04-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I understand why you separated them but I would not keep them separated, they need each other and are better developed with siblings.
    Suckling generally does cease as they age. Have you been feeding them within 5-7% of their body weight?
    At their weights now they should be eating @ 100 grams between 5 -7 cc's each feeding, @ 110 grams between 5.5 - 7.7 cc's each feeding.
    How many hours apart have you been feeding around the clock?
    They are fed ever 3 hours. They take 7ccs. I weigh them daily. They just started doing 6 hours at night so I can sleep. The issues were before that though. I know it's not good to have them separated but they are causing nasty scabs on each other and I'm worried about unsheathing. Sorry that probably isn't spelled correctly.If you have any other suggestions I will gladly try them.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Dianad1277 from:

SophieSquirrel (04-09-2018)

I use Cambro clear polycarbonate large restaurant containers for nursing squirrels. In the photo you will see a custom lid (on top) I had made by Habitat Systems when I was in Des Moines, Iowa. The white plastic lid to the right is an easy to cut Cambro poly plastic that you can also buy at restaurant supplies. You can cut a large square opening with a jigsaw and use nuts, bots and washers to mount 1/4 hardware cloth over the top of the opening for max airflow. These containers are durable and easy to clean but they are not cheap. Cambro is the best.

Same as Nancy - only squirrels in my household

The water bottle is a Lixit brand, the only brand I use and made in the USA without toxic plastics: http://www.lixit.com/node/1049

Name:  DSC02168.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  59.9 KB

Cambro Polycarbonate Boxes: https://www.cambro.com/Products/Food...8740/1033.aspx

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

Dianad1277 (04-09-2018)

I use a small travel bin when going to work, and a larger one with 5/8" holes drilled all around the top and many in the lid. I keep them in this until they are almost able to climb out then they get their "big kid" cage which is a small animal cage. I used stuffed things hanging on the sides for climbing before offering branches. It's like a padded room, kind of...

Name:  DSCN3537.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  88.9 KBName:  DSCN3542.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  123.8 KB

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Dianad1277 (04-09-2018), Nancy in New York (04-09-2018), Toddy (04-10-2018)

Though I don't want to throw a monkey wrench in the works, sometimes microwaves can leak a bit.

For this reason itis't the best spot to have a squirrel directly adjacent to.

To be on the safe side, here is an article and self tutorial on how to check for leaks in your microwave.

Testers are available on Amazon.com

https://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Microwave-for-Leaks

While most microwave oven leaks are too small to create such significant health risks,
    be on the safe side and test any microwave that appears damaged or that is more than nine years old.

HI there, I am new to all this. I have a question about the bedding? Is it customary to use blankets and pillows? How about moss bedding or anything more natural? Do they need tree branches? What do the babies eat?

thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    I use a small travel bin when going to work, and a larger one with 5/8" holes drilled all around the top and many in the lid. I keep them in this until they are almost able to climb out then they get their "big kid" cage which is a small animal cage. I used stuffed things hanging on the sides for climbing before offering branches. It's like a padded room, kind of...

Name:  DSCN3537.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  88.9 KBName:  DSCN3542.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  123.8 KB

What age are your babies? That determines what they should be eating as well as the bedding that will work best.